breeze or ncl getaway

shanet60

How much are you going to drink? What's the cost of the drink package?

I you're basing your decision solely on price, then

$649 / 8

vs.

($649 - $ drink package) / 7

What's the lowest per diem?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

And I think beverage package is $49 pp per day there is two of us so $588 because wouldn't get it until 2nd night

Why wouldn't you get it until the second night? NCL is giving it away for the whole cruise. It also includes the 15% gratuity that you would have to pay. I always buy the drink package and for two people it is always over 800 bucks for a seven day cruise. That really is a great deal with NCL right now. I'm strongly considering booking something with them just to take advantage of it.

Why wouldn't you get it until the second night? NCL is giving it away for the whole cruise. It also includes the 15% gratuity that you would have to pay. I always buy the drink package and for two people it is always over 800 bucks for a seven day cruise. That really is a great deal with NCL right now. I'm strongly considering booking something with them just to take advantage of it.

I meant if I was buying it I would wait...because I usually don't drink much day one

I been on 53 cruises so far and I am 51. The NCL Breakaway which is the sister ship of the Getaway was our most hated cruise! I will forfeit the free drink package and go on Carnival before I ever go NCL again!!

So Lynda.....what happened on NCL that was so bad...besides the MDR food being inedible so you have to go to the pay restaurants. I thought the entertainment was great on that ship between the Rock of Ages, Second City Comedy and the Howl at the Moon dueling piano bar.

That really is a great deal with NCL right now. I'm strongly considering booking something with them just to take advantage of it.
NCL came up with the program because they stole it from Celebrity. It came out back in January of 2013 under the 1-2-3 Promotion, then it was called the Pick Your Perk Promotion. You need to reserve an OV or higher cabin and you can pick the alcohol package as your free "perk". We had it on the Summit in 10/13 and the Silhouette in 3/14 and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Besides alcohol, it included soda, fresh squeezed juices, espresso based coffee drinks and bottled water.

I been on 53 cruises so far and I am 51. The NCL Breakaway which is the sister ship of the Getaway was our most hated cruise! I will forfeit the free drink package and go on Carnival before I ever go NCL again!!

I will also never sail NCL again. Had my most horrible experiences on NCL. Had a bad experience a few years back, but got a great deal so I thought, "What the heck -- I am sure that everything has improved by now." I booked it, and it was bad since I boarded the ship.

I won't bore anyone with details, but let's just say that NCL completely lacks in the service that I am used to. I am not talking about above and beyond, I am talking basic service. In addition, the food was horrible. I had no hot water.

I wrote an e-mail to NCL on Monday (it is now Saturday), and I have had no response. The horrible customer service with NCL continues . . . . .

Trust me -- book the Breeze.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

Having been on both the Breeze and Breakaway (Getaway's sister) I would go by itinerary. We liked both ships. Entertainment will be new to you on both, so that is not a factor. Both have ropes courses - Getaway's has The Plank and mini zip line, which is pretty cool. The water slides on both are cool. To me, food is food, but we have found we actually enjoy the freestyle dining concept - which I swore I would never like. I am not a drinker, so the possibility of one day longer is more enticing than a drink package. Tough choice. Both good ships to have to decide between! I see you have been on Epic and Liberty- which did you like better - NCL or CCL?

FTLCruiseGal hello....totally agree, and I was just speaking about the Breakaway/Getaway since it is the ship the OP was asking about. I have taken other NCL cruises about 4 in a 15 year time frame, every time I took a NCL cruise I would say never again, but after a few years go by I book one up hoping it be better to find more disappointment. It took me time to finally learn my lesson but I learned it well...nomore NCL for us.

You are so correct the service and personalities of the staff is very lacking. It doesn't surprise me that you haven't heard back from NCL yet. :(

I don't base my cruise on the itinerary most of the time only because your on the ship 90% of the time and only a handful of hours in port.

By the way, what are the prices for both cruises? Are you getting the same type cabin?

Edited by lyndamr

Having been on both the Breeze and Breakaway (Getaway's sister) I would go by itinerary. We liked both ships. Entertainment will be new to you on both, so that is not a factor. Both have ropes courses - Getaway's has The Plank and mini zip line, which is pretty cool. The water slides on both are cool. To me, food is food, but we have found we actually enjoy the freestyle dining concept - which I swore I would never like. I am not a drinker, so the possibility of one day longer is more enticing than a drink package. Tough choice. Both good ships to have to decide between! I see you have been on Epic and Liberty- which did you like better - NCL or CCL?

I liked them both but I have to give ncl an edge..when I was on epic it was great. The shows were blue man group, second city, etc they were all great, the food was excellent the biggest Buffet I've ever seen. Their deck parties were more like productions, they were huge with red carpets strobe lights etc there were like 3 or 4 parties that went on until late..the ones I see on carnival were ok but more of a little get together that dwindled down really fast. I loved osheehans pub for 24 hours of food wings, burgers, pot pies, desserts, etc..sometimes on carnival especially on port days everything is closed except for pizza..but don't get me wrong I like carnival to but all the negative reviews for ncl above I don't get we had a blast and it is probably my favorite to date.

Having been on 35+ cruises, I have to say there are very few that were "bad". I use the term "bad", but it still beats being at work. I was on the Epic in 2013 and although there were some things I loved on the ship, there were also things I hated about it. If you are a pool person for instance, the pools are horrible. They are like baby pools about three feet deep and packed with the 4500 passengers onboard shoulder to shoulder. I thought the food was just OK in the dining room, but the buffet was pretty nice and very large. I have friends that just got off the Getaway and LOVED it. They said that the food was good, the entertainment was terrific and the ship itself is beautiful. I tend to avoid some of these mega size ships as there are just too many people for my taste. Anyway, some of the things I hated on Epic have been rectified on the Getaway, so you may want to give it a try. I agree with the passenger that said how much they loved O'Sheehan's. It is a terrific place and it is open when you embark. Go there instead of the buffet and you will have a nice quiet meal the first day.

Donna

Honestly I am always into trying new things. So, that being said I would probably try the NCL ship because it sounds like the price is right on that sailing plus the drink package being included is an awesome deal. I mean we don't drink that much either, but with it being included I think we would find ourselves drinking more than we normally would. I think it's worth trying if you are interested in trying new cruise lines and you go into it with an open mind.

Some people try carnival and are exclusive to carnival and are not open to anything else. So, if you are one of those people I suggest you would not enjoy yourself. But if you are asking my opinion, I would try something new and go with the NCL. We are always looking to try new things but when we are looking to cruise the prices on Carnival are always cheaper.

Just for the record to the OP, Carnival is not my favorite cruise line Royal Caribbean is so my saying that NCL and the Breakaway was my most not liked ship is actually telling you the truth comparing Carnival vs. NCL. I am definitely not loyal to Carnival.

I did ask the OP for the prices of both cruises but OP hasn't told me yet.

Honestly, when I booked the Breakaway she was nearly a new ship and people prior to my cruise wrote the same negatives that I experienced with her myself, I just wished I listened to them.

Edited by lyndamr

Just for the record to the OP, Carnival is not my favorite cruise line Royal Caribbean is so my saying that NCL and the Breakaway was my most not liked ship is actually telling you the truth comparing Carnival vs. NCL. I am definitely not loyal to Carnival.

I did ask the OP for the prices of both cruises but OP hasn't told me yet.

Honestly, when I booked the Breakaway she was nearly a new ship and people prior to my cruise wrote the same negatives that I experienced with her myself, I just wished I listened to them.

OP stated that both cruises were $649 pp in the first post.

OP sure did where was my head lol

Ok same price but NCL giving you the beverage package

OP what type staterooms are they, both balconies?

Getaway is 7 nights goes to St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau

Breeze is 8 nights goes to St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk

The Breeze is one extra day which is great.... St. Thomas (Getaway) and St. Maarten (Breeze) very similar islands, St. Kitts and San Juan have good shore excursions and beach areas and Grand Turk I don't know anybody who doesn't like it. I also don't like the fact the Getaway stays in nassau until 6pm then the next day your right back into Miami...I love having that last sea day and there really isn't anything to do in Nassau really or Paradise Island if you think of it.

Breeze gives you Cucina Del Capitano which is excellent, Mongolian wok very good, taste bar, sushi bar, red frog pub, steakhouse (fee) and BBQ.

Getaway gives you many specialty restaurant options, La Cucina, Wasabi, Ocean Blu, Carlos bake shop, carneys steakhouse, modern, teppanyaki, le bistro all which are extra costs.

I tried all those places for dinner and I will be happy to talk to you about them if you have questions, but with this being said, if the OP wants to experience these restaurants and wants to pay for them, I would have to say then choose the Getaway. If the OP may try one or two places then I have to say the Steakhouse on the Breeze is excellent and then my choice be back to the Breeze.

Its a no brainer for me, putting aside how I feel about the Breakway/Getaway...I love the extra day the Breeze gives and the ports of the Breeze. But if dining in the specialty restaurants is a must for the OP then I have to say the Getaway is the ship to book.

Edited by lyndamr

OK...pretty much same itenary.. May 23rd 2015..both $649 pp. 8 nights on breeze. 7 on ncl getaway, but that comes with beverage package.. What do you ladies and gentlemen think?

Just wanted to let the OP know that the promotion on NCL with the free drink package is for oceanview or better cabins, so the cost would not be 649 + tax, but 849 + tax.

OK...pretty much same itenary.. May 23rd 2015

I was leaning towards the Getaway (to try something new and because of the drink package which made the overall cost lower) because you said that both ships have pretty much the same itinerary. But the itineraries are not "pretty much the same". Getaway goes to 3 ports, one which is Nassau :mad:. That pretty much turns it into a 2 port itinerary. Nassau is OK on short, cheap getaways on an older ship, but not on a 7 night itinerary where you can reach so many other truly interesting ports.

Breeze's itinerary does exactly that. It goest to other, truly interesting ports. San Juan (with its rich history, culture, points of interest, and architectural uniqueness) and St. Maarten (with its half French / half Dutch international flair, wonderful shops and pristine beaches) simply can't be beat. Grand Turk will provide a better experience than tired, overcrowded and overhyped Nassau (not to forget the recent increase in its crime rate ), and St. Kitts is a nice, less frequented change from other cookie cutter Eastern itineraries.

How are these itineraries pretty much the same? They are completely different. Not a single port overlaps. The only thing that they have in common is the name "Eastern Caribbean".

Edited by Tapi

I was on Breeze also when new - looks like 2 months after you - and I really had nothing terrible to say about her - but we got Vibe Beach club passes, so our experience may have been different, as we avoided much of the crowds around. We also booked all dining and shows before we cruised, which made a big difference, as people on the ship were complaining they couldn't get reservations once on board. I would do the same if on Getaway.

I was leaning towards the Getaway (to try something new and because of the drink package which made the overall cost lower) because you said that both ships have pretty much the same itinerary. But the itineraries are not "pretty much the same". Getaway goes to 3 ports, one which is Nassau :mad:. That pretty much turns it into a 2 port itinerary. Nassau is OK on short, cheap getaways on an older ship, but not on a 7 night itinerary where you can reach so many other truly interesting ports.

Breeze's itinerary does exactly that. It goest to other, truly interesting ports. San Juan (with its rich history, culture, points of interest, and architectural uniqueness) and St. Maarten (with its half French / half Dutch international flair, wonderful shops and pristine beaches) simply can't be beat. Grand Turk will provide a better experience than tired, overcrowded and overhyped Nassau (not to forget the recent increase in its crime rate ), and St. Kitts is a nice, less frequented change from other cookie cutter Eastern itineraries.

How are these itineraries pretty much the same? They are completely different. Not a single port overlaps. The only thing that they have in common is the name "Eastern Caribbean".

I would go on Getaway just to visit Tortola, which we have never been to. I would use Nassau as a ship day, having been there over 10x. I do agree St. Kitts is nice, but could do w/out SJ, SM and GT- again, cause we have been there so many times.

I just love O'Sheehans on the ships, and Howl at the Moon, with the dueling pianos. Also enjoy Second City. Getaway has Legally Blond, Illusionarium, and other new shows. Again, it is up to you. We have been doing more NCL cruises lately just for the newness of the shows/entertainment. We will still sail on Carnival (Splendor in 3 weeks) but will begin to try other lines when we can.

I'm getting ready to embark on #100 next month. I sailed Norwegian Breakaway, and I, too, found it to be one of my least enjoyed onboard experiences of all (although I loved loved loved Bermuda).

But as the thread title is asking, I did a cruise on Carnival Breeze this past October, and on Norwegian Getaway last month. Two enjoyable cruises just two months apart.

Loved my cove balcony on Carnival Breeze, and would book the exact same one if doing that ship again . . . and I might in the future. No regrets whatsoever on that week at sea. :)

But . . . there was not (to me) one single thing on Carnival Breeze that was superior, or even equal, to that offered on Norwegian Getaway. That NCL experience was leaps and bounds better from start to finish.

I did pay more for NCL than Carnival, as there was an amazing short-tem sale that basically negated the single supplement for that week. Winner!

But to answer the question of this thread, as someone who has recently done both ships . . . Norwegian Getaway definitely gets my vote. :)

Also, if I'd used a sister ship to make my decision about Carnival Breeze, that enjoyable week would have never happened, as I thought Carnival Dream was a turd. ;)