Live from the Regal Princess - Jan 18th-25th

lor74

As a Princess loyalist, my first thoughts are that this is not the ship for me. I say this with an open mind and will not pass judgement until the week is done.

I was the same way: boarded on a Sunday, wanted OFF of the ship by Tuesday, and when we docked in FLL the following Sunday it had turned out to be one of my BEST cruises ever.

Hope your experience also makes a turn-around like mine did...

:D

Re: Alfredo's

We only went there once when we first boarded. There is no pepperoni on the menu. I attempted to ask the waiter if we can customize our own pizza, but got a language barrier answer about pizza being on the menu. I'm sure others with more experience can answer the question.

I don't think, for the most part, that you can customize your pizzas, to a degree. Removing ingredients, yes, but adding items not on the fixed-menu to the point where they are having to go to Prego on Lido Deck, or to the MDR kitchen, to fetch ingredients, may be at the discretion of the waiters and head chef of Alfredo's. And depending on how busy they are may also affect their decision on making 'off-menu' pizzas for everyone who wants one.

Tried to view your photos but can't seem to navigate anywhere off the main page. :(

Try this link for desktop viewing of the pictures, the other link was for a mobile device...scroll down until you get to the 'first' pictures (which are of the evening arrival over Fort Lauderdale from the plane)...then slowly scroll back up to get to the most recent or 'last' images.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98631961@N04/

What is the pricing for the three different speeds?

Was the drill outside by your assigned lifeboat?

I cannot see the pricing now that I am signed up. There are 3 speeds, and each offers hourly use, daily use, weekly use for 1 device, and weekly for 2 devices. You can find the prices in the RCCL forum. I paid $160 - 15% = $136 for the 1 device weekly middle speed.

Our station is in the dinning room. We did not go outside

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by lor74

To the person who "borrowed" the magazine from my seat by the pool on Saturday when I was having lunch: if you are reading this, Thanks! Ro just realized it is missing and since she didn't read it yet, is now mad at me! Telling her that someone stole it and it is not my fault, didn't seem to help. On this massive ship, I might not see her again today until bedtime....so once again Thanks!

Last night we saw oceanaria. It was a good show, but it was so cold outside, Ro got her winter coat and I wore a hoody.

A couple of comments about our cabin: I felt zero motion at night, it was as if we were still docked. The bathroom sink is so low, I can literally brush my teeth on my knees. The shower is circular with doors. You can carefully turn 360 degrees inside and there is no curtain to molest you.

I had started to write about my thoughts towards the ship, but have already had a change of heart, and will not post anything of that nature until the week is over. The cons as I see them are glaringly obvious. It is the pros that will slowly show themselves and that I will focus on finding.

I was up very early today with a splitting headache. I took an Advil and figured it would be a good time to take pictures. I was probably one of the youngest people up at this hour before the sunrise. I hit most of the sites....then Ro got up and got mad at me about the mag....

Ro returned and we made up 💏. We had a nice light breakfast at the park Cafe which is close to our cabin. She had a bagel with salmon and cream cheese, while I had a bagel with cheese and butter. I also sampled a breakfast panini. We ate outside and it was nice. She is now at the main pool, and I am in the adults only solarium. There is a nice spread of healthy items being served here....maybe tomorrow's breakfast.

Funny story:

I consider myself to be a borderline germaphobe. When the Purell was first being introduced to cruise ships, I hated that they were constantly trying to spray you. I thought of too much of that stuff as being unhealthy and didn't like how it dried my skin. As my "condition" worsens with age, I now wash my hands many times a day and Purell frequently. The buffet in general is not a good place for someone who is neurotic about germs. I have never felt "dirty" while serving myself on Princess. My first thoughts about the windjammer were that all of the tongs I was handling to get my food were filthy....wet, slimy, saucy, you name it. "Take a deep breath, and go to your happy place..,and don't touch your face!"

And as someone with no children, I think that all of them carry the plague! 🙊

So last night we are having dinner, and a chorus of coughing, sneezing, screaming and crying is going on all around us. I was in my happy place tuning it all out, and Ro who is not neurotic was getting very annoyed. I found it to be quite amusing and couldn't help laughing about it, until she finally broke "get me out of here" and we were gone 🙀. I am smiling just thinking about it!

Today we are at sea.

Try this link for desktop viewing of the pictures, the other link was for a mobile device...scroll down until you get to the 'first' pictures (which are of the evening arrival over Fort Lauderdale from the plane)...then slowly scroll back up to get to the most recent or 'last' images.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98631961@N04/

That did it! Thanks! ;)

I did not stay in the solarium very long and got comfy in the shade around the main pool where Ro's carcass would be for the rest of the day. It was not too busy until 11am came around and all of the night owls made their appearance at the same time. From then on, it was busy everywhere. I see why they call it RCCL international, for a good 2 hrs by the pool I didn't hear a lick of English. When lunch time rolled around, I was still dealing with a very bad headache (is this what lamb withdrawal feels like?), and I didn't know what I felt like eating. I went to the buffet and had a very small sample of some Asian food. There was other stuff there that I could have had, but I wasn't feeling it. I then went to the solarium to see what was there, and although nothing interested me, I went and got Ro, and she had a couple of vegi wraps and grilled veggies. Back to the pool from there, but I didn't stay long. I went for a walk to see what else was cooking. First stop was the park Cafe, but the line was out the door so I kept walking. Next to the pizza joint. I tried a small slice of the pizza of the day which was chicken and potato. As it sounds, not great. Last stop was the boardwalk hot dog stand where I got a Coney island dog, which is a kosher beef dog. It was ok. At this point my headache was very distracting, so I went back to the room. I went on the balcony which was very peaceful, and read. This did the trick, and my head eventually cleared....I think the fresh smell of weed that I was downwind from might have also helped! It was now mid day and since I was feeling better, I wanted to be a little productive. I put on my running shoes and hit the track. It goes around the entire promenade deck. 1 mile is 2.4 laps. I did 5 miles, and felt pretty good about it! When I was done, Ro was in the gym doing her routine. When she got back to the cabin, I had already showered, and she told me that my chest was burnt. I then noticed that my face was red too. How did I get burnt when I did not actually spend any time in the sun today? I think that I was so wet while doing the 5 miles, that every time I went through an area that the sun was shining through, I got a little fried each time. Also something bit the top of my left hand, and it is so itchy! We had a 7pm reservation for comedy tonight, so we wanted to have a quick bite at the buffet before. I assumed that a ship this size which caters to families, would have a huge buffet. Not only is it not very big, but I was surprised to discover that it is not always open during the day. It was just before 6pm, and we went up to closed doors. It is completely closed between 3:30pm-6:15pm. When we finally got in, we had some salad and a few other items. At one point while eating, 2 different families come on each side of us with babies. My beautiful wife said "hell no, not again" and she was on the move to another table! It took me a few seconds to catch on "oh, are we really moving?"

I only remember one of the 2 comedians names, Dan Nutermam. I had seen him on Americas got talent, and he performed the same material. It's funny if you haven't heard it before. The other guy was funny as well. After the show we walked around the promenade deck and went back to the Windjammer to get some dessert. Ro is now in bed and I am having a drink on the balcony. Tomorrow is Labadee, and it will be a hot one!

* The wifi is still at the exact same speed as it was on land. Their packet shaping is working well.

Re: Alfredo's

We only went there once when we first boarded. There is no pepperoni on the menu. I attempted to ask the waiter if we can customize our own pizza, but got a language barrier answer about pizza being on the menu. I'm sure others with more experience can answer the question.

We are seeing the Aqua theatre show in an hour. I am already waiting for them to open the seating. It is outside and Ro went to get a sweater....I am quite comfortable.

I'll need to compose my thoughts before posting more opinion on the ship....just thinking about it makes me laugh

Hi, great thread! I have done both the Oasis and the Regal (and in fact, have the regal and oasis booked next Christmas) and will look forward to hearing your comparison of the Allure and the Regal. We have been on the regal twice now and both times were able to get our pizzas and Calzones custom-made at Alfredo's, provided that we stuck with the ingredients they had on hand for the menu pizzas. A friend traveling with us was also able to order, 24 hours in advance, a gluten-free pizza. She said it was okay, not the best.

Edited by h-sar

I have a question for those who have been on the Regal: Are the on demand movies free for everyone, or did we get it all free because we were in a suite? I ask because on the Allure, you need to pay for the movies.

I have a question for those who have been on the Regal: Are the on demand movies free for everyone, or did we get it all free because we were in a suite? I ask because on the Allure, you need to pay for the movies.

On demand movies and TV was Free for everyone, had nothing to do with you being in a suite.

I also noticed that on our sailing on the Regal on January 11 that newly released movies were added during our sailing. We watched four movies and some really funny episodes of the Big Bang Theory during our cruise. Love the Tv's!

I had started to write about my thoughts towards the ship, but have already had a change of heart, and will not post anything of that nature until the week is over. The cons as I see them are glaringly obvious. It is the pros that will slowly show themselves and that I will focus on finding.

I was up very early today with a splitting headache. I took an Advil and figured it would be a good time to take pictures. I was probably one of the youngest people up at this hour before the sunrise. I hit most of the sites....then Ro got up and got mad at me about the mag....

Ro returned and we made up 💏. We had a nice light breakfast at the park Cafe which is close to our cabin. She had a bagel with salmon and cream cheese, while I had a bagel with cheese and butter. I also sampled a breakfast panini. We ate outside and it was nice. She is now at the main pool, and I am in the adults only solarium. There is a nice spread of healthy items being served here....maybe tomorrow's breakfast.

Funny story:

I consider myself to be a borderline germaphobe. When the Purell was first being introduced to cruise ships, I hated that they were constantly trying to spray you. I thought of too much of that stuff as being unhealthy and didn't like how it dried my skin. As my "condition" worsens with age, I now wash my hands many times a day and Purell frequently. The buffet in general is not a good place for someone who is neurotic about germs. I have never felt "dirty" while serving myself on Princess. My first thoughts about the windjammer were that all of the tongs I was handling to get my food were filthy....wet, slimy, saucy, you name it. "Take a deep breath, and go to your happy place..,and don't touch your face!"

And as someone with no children, I think that all of them carry the plague! 🙊

So last night we are having dinner, and a chorus of coughing, sneezing, screaming and crying is going on all around us. I was in my happy place tuning it all out, and Ro who is not neurotic was getting very annoyed. I found it to be quite amusing and couldn't help laughing about it, until she finally broke "get me out of here" and we were gone 🙀. I am smiling just thinking about it!

Today we are at sea.

Thanks for your continued live reports.....:):):)

Bob

Yes they had the crab shack and fondue. I don't know what the days were, but all the patters are posted in my Flickr

Thanks for the answer on the movies.

DON'T MISS on the Allure: The diving show in the Aqua theater, IMO, best show on the 7 seas..Come Fly With Me show, ice skating show also terrific...sitting in the infinity canti-levered hot tubs in the Solarium, roast beef sandwiches in the Park Cafe in Central Park, also walking thru Central Park AT NIGHT when the classical trio is out there- this is by far my favorite place on the ship, especially on a clear, starry night..70's retro disco party in the Royal Promenade, singing along with the singer in the British Pub drinking a pint, checking out the Flowrider & zip-line...of course, the croissant finger sandwiches in the Cafe Promenade are a must....enjoying your reviews...

Big Al

Today is a great day in Labadee. We started the day with our first breakfast in the windjammer. The usual breakfast fare in a very zoo like atmosphere. I was quite annoyed by the looping, multiple language, very loud announcements about leaving your table as soon as you are finished eating. "Thank you for dinning with us, enjoy your meal, and as soon as you are done, GET THE HELL OUT!" I will not be having breakfast there again. After eating Ro went to the pool, and I hit the beach. It was still early and not super crowded yet. The island feels different every time we come here. I miss our first visits when it was not fully developed and you could find quiet corners with no people and undisturbed ocean great for snorkelling. I walked all the way to the furthest corner and made myself comfortable. Normally I travel with a snorkel and water shoes if I plan on going to the beach, but I didn't bring them on this trip. My eyes are very sensitive so i bought a pair of goggles at the dive shop on land for $20 charged to the cabin. They worked well and I was able to go for a long swim and see the fish. Afterwards I dried off in the sun and read. I was then tired & sore from all the exercise, and it was too early to eat, so I did some exploring as I made my way back to the ship. Once aboard, I found Ro and took a dip in the pool before going to the buffet for lunch. I had my first burger which was ok, and some sweets. This was followed by shooting some hoops. The court is huge! Now I am back at the pool. I think it is time for a nap!

We are seeing Chicago tonight....doors open at 6:30, so we will eat afterwards. I made reservations in the dinning room for tomorrow and Thursday (formal/lobster).

A had an afternoon snack yesterday of the signature beef sandwich and a bag of chips from the park Cafe. It was quite good. I then finished my book and we went to the show. I need to be honest, I found it boring, although the performers were very good. It also didn't help that the lady sitting next to me (not Ro ☺️) stank of moth balls. We went to the buffet afterwards. I have been enjoying the sweets on this ship.

We are in the process of docking in Falmouth now. It is currently cloudy. Breakfast was a bagel, yogurt and pastries at the park Cafe. Tonight we will be eating in the dinning room for the first time, and have no shows to see. Tomorrow after formal dinning, we will be seeing the headliner, which is an Elton John cover artist Joel Mason.

I just had a FaceTime conversation with a friend back home. Initially I could see him, but then I lost his feed because my connection wasn't strong enough. He was able to see me the entire time, and the voice was smooth.

Edited by lor74

Thanks Lor74 for your informative and humorous reviews on both the Regal and Allure (moth ball lady still has me smiling). We sailed on Oasis of the Seas back in 2010 and will be on Royal Princess Feb 27. I loved Oasis and all of the activities it provided. We also spent a fair amount of time at the bar in Central Park. If you get a chance, my favorite dining experience (ever) was at 150 Central Park, at that time we paid $30pp upcharge to go there and it was definitely worth every penny, and I would guess no crying children.

We got off at Falmouth, walked around, window shopped and took some pictures. The afternoon was spent by the pool, where we met some nice people. We had our first meal in the dinning room, and it was a good experience. Ro had mushroom soup, crab cake, veggie moussaka, and creme brûlée. I had bay scallops, Caesar salad, braised beef duo with grits, and chocolate sensation. We both enjoyed our meals. We also had bread which was very good. Our waiter and his assistant were very professional and on the ball. The entire meal only took an hour, not that we were in a rush last night. Afterwards we walked all around and took more pictures. The usual "cruise junk" was being sold on the promenade, and people were buying like you wouldn't believe!

Today we are at sea en route to Cozumel. It is currently cloudy. I was up very early and went to the track. I did 4 miles while watching the sun rise. When I was done, Ro was waiting for me at the park Cafe. She had a bagel with salmon, and I had a breakfast panini with yogurt. Now we are at our usual spot by the main pool. One annoyance about this ship is that smokers have the entire port side of the pool deck. We are currently down wind, and the cigar smell is everywhere 😖

*we received a notice last night that some people have come down with norovirus!

Edited by lor74

Overall, the formal night in the dinning room was a good experience. We had requested the same table as the previous night, and that waiter had his hands full with a full section. Ro had a mushroom pastry, Caesar salad and the lobster plate with shrimps. I had escargots, salad and lobster. The lobster is a little different than on Princess, and the tails that were coked perfectly were very good. Unfortunately 4-6 tails were over cooked and not very good. We could have ordered more if we wanted.

Today is a sunny day in Cozumel. We got off the ship, took pictures, looked at the shops and walked a bit down the Main Street. A short walk from the international pier is the Parc Royal, which is a resort. They offer day passes. The regular price is $40, the discounted price shown in $20, and a sales guy on the street offered us $10pp for all inclusive access till 6pm. We considered it, but after reading reviews we opted not to go today. If we were drinkers, it would have been a no brainer. Now that I know about it, a may considered it in the future should we come back to this pier. As dog lovers who miss our baby, we had fun watching the working dogs at the docks who were inspecting everyone who got off the ship that was carrying a bag. If the dogs smelled food they would sit down and those people would have their bags searched. It put a smile on our faces 😃. We are back on board sitting at a quiet pool. Tonight we dine at Chops.