Lido Room

nkochrn

I'd love to have a verandah room but due to budget it is not an option. I usually would have no issue with an interior room but for Alaska it's different, I'm sure you all understand! I know there's been a lot of discussion about verandah vs. interior and so on but verandah is out of the question unless I win the lottery before July, but since I never play I won't plan on it!

I was thinking if I got a Lido room we would at least be just a few feet away from deck space to easily enjoy the views. I am wondering if any one else has any experience with the lido rooms. Any pros or cons, are the decks usually crowded with other passengers trying to get a good view? Should I be concerned about noise level here? Any one having any experience with motion sickness problems on the lido deck?

We will probably be sailing on the Grand Princess.

I've seen a number of posts here on CC where people always specifically book Lido Deck rooms as they are so convenient in regard to the facilities the person likes to use most. The don't seem to have a problem with the location at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to book there.

Take a look at C723 or C724 on Caribe deck on the Coral Princess. Just steps away from the public back deck areas that provide viewing on both sides as well as chairs/loungers for napping in the sun. Take a Northbound cruise and these back decks are in the sun and warmer than even side balconies. Often not crowded, except for maybe while in Glacier Bay, and even then not crowded, you just won't be alone.

I have been on the Lido Deck specifically on the Grand and don't think I'd do it again. Too much creaking noise and movement. Lower and midship is better for less movement and less noise.

The only pro of the Lido Deck is being close to the pizza/bratwurst/hot dogs/hamburgers/buffet. I think our son wore a path out in the carpet between our cabin and the pizza. :D

Take a look at C723 or C724 on Caribe deck on the Coral Princess. Just steps away from the public back deck areas that provide viewing on both sides as well as chairs/loungers for napping in the sun. Take a Northbound cruise and these back decks are in the sun and warmer than even side balconies. Often not crowded, except for maybe while in Glacier Bay, and even then not crowded, you just won't be alone.

OP is going on the Grand I thought...but I totally second your opinion on the Coral/Island ships. Insides in that location are great!

Oh - and I totally forgot with the Grand - the running track is right above some of the cabins. We'd hear, "Pound, pound, pound" all day long.

There is no running track on the Grand on the deck above Lido but you might hear the tread mills if your cabin was on the starboard side more forward. I think you would be OK if you could get one of the 3-4 cabins on the starboard side that are closest to the stairs. I also think that the Lido deck is perfect for quick access to the outdoors. I've cruised Alaska many times and people who say you should have a balcony cabin is not really experiencing the full impact of Alaska. They are only seeing one side of the ship's view. Up top is where you want to be and also being forward in the ship because you can see the nature and wildlife just as it first appears and then you can follow it as the ship passes. This is especially true when looking for whales. The higher you are, the easier it is to spot them.

There are other favorable inside cabins on Emerald deck in the forward portion. There are two doors in the forward section (port and starboard) that lead outside to the "Whale's Mouth" which is a large, covered area that allows you to get up close to the water and probably the best place to view Glacier Bay especially if you are having inclement weather. It can be colder if the boat is moving but it is covered. It's been my second favorite place to be while on a Princess ship in Alaska.

Many people who cruise in inside cabins use their TV as their "window" to the outside. At least you can tell if it is daylight and perhaps a little weather.

I am glad this question was asked. I was scheduled for a Lido Deck inside, port side for next months cruise to Mexico. I always thought it would be nice for a change to be close to everything. I was upgraded and when I tried to get back it was too late. We normally have an outside and more recently, the last four cruises a balcony.

The infor given here will be of help in the future. Thanks.

I loved, Loved, LOVED our Lido inside cabin on the Grand to Alaska. It was so convenient and quiet. I think we had L237. We liked it so much that we have only cruised on Lido Deck forward on any Grand Class ship since. The only time we heard noise was on our return to San Francisco. It was foggy, and we could hear the fog horn ALL night long. After a while, we tuned it out; but it definitely took some getting used to. You won't be sailing out of San Francisco, so you probably won't have the fog issue. (We did have fog one time returning to Los Angeles on another ship, but the fog horn only went off for about an hour.)

We didn't feel like we missed anything by having that inside cabin. You will love it! (unless it's foggy)

Edited by love2relax