Doyle's restaurant in Sydney

Doyles on the Beach at Watson's Bay has been famous for many, many years.

If you like seafood and a great view...make a booking and give it a go.

There are plenty of reviews on Trip Advisor...

BTW, The Doyle's that was by the OPT (rocks/Circular Quay) is no longer there.

Doyle's restaurant area at the OPT is now the temporary office and lunch room for the company doing the upgrade to the terminal and their old kitchen is now the lunchroom for the check in staff and OPT security but will not be back.

Doyle's restaurant area at the OPT is now the temporary office and lunch room for the company doing the upgrade to the terminal and their old kitchen is now the lunchroom for the check in staff and OPT security but will not be back.

Perhaps the Check-in staff can open up a new ritzy eatery called Gbenjo's. ;)

I was told this was a great restaurant. Opinions please!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's an overpriced tourist trap. We stopped going there years ago.

Nicks (Cockle Bay at Darling Harbour and King St Wharf) is also expensive but much better quality seafood.

The Sydney Cove Oyster Bar at East Circular Quay is our favourite seafood restaurant these days. Directly opposite the OPT. Ask for a table next to the water for the best views.

I was told this was a great restaurant. Opinions please!

Hi Doyles at the Quay has gone...you can easily catch a ferry to watsons bay Doyles or alternative dry Nicks Seafood at Darling harbour ....its excellent with great views over Darling Harbour

Doyles = Tourist trap. Always has been. Just like many the restaurants around The Rocks/Circular Quay/Darling Harbour.

It may be a tourist trap ....but tourists love it . It is an iconoc setting. Ive been once. Enjoyed it , but would not go out of my way for a second visit. Its the sort of place you can cross off your must do list as , been there done that.

It may be a tourist trap ....but tourists love it . It is an iconoc setting. Ive been once. Enjoyed it , but would not go out of my way for a second visit. Its the sort of place you can cross off your must do list as , been there done that.

A lot of people do, Doyle's has the reputation and people are willing to pay for the privilege.:D

I have to agree that Doyles used to be outstanding but is now way overpriced and a long way from downtown Sydney. There is much better and more reasonably priced local fare such as has been recommended.

I also agree that overseas visitors definitely enjoy the view and ambience of the area around The Rocks and Circular Quay. You really couldnt go wrong with the Oyster Bar as it has such an iconic outdoor setting. Nics is more mass market and set amongst a myriad of other good restaurants at Darling Harbour (very busy).

Me, i just go to my local fish n chips ( or is that fush n chups) shop fir $20.:D

Doyle's at the OPT was really a " victim" of the growing cruise industry in as much as whenever a ship was in their business would drop by as much as sixty percent and with an ever increasing number of ships in over the season I suppose it was no longer a viable proposition to remain open there.Also The new wharf extension, which extends out past the outdoor dining area of Doyle's, would have meant that fork lifts would be operating right next to the restaurant which would not have been very conducive to a pleasant dining experience.

I haven't been for a few years but...

Doyle's at Watsons Bay is one of my families favorite restaurants in Sydney and the price was actually not bad for Australia. In fact it was less than going to the big sheafood rest near us.

For a real treat go by SeaPlane, but again it'll cost.

I remember a long time ago celebrating my birthday at Doyle's on the Wharf at Watsons Bay which was very nice. Now they only have the one on the beach.

Doyle's on the Wharf still operates as a Take away and Bistro with seating, the best value in my opinion.

I have to agree that Doyles used to be outstanding but is now way overpriced and a long way from downtown Sydney. There is much better and more reasonably priced local fare such as has been recommended.

I also agree that overseas visitors definitely enjoy the view and ambience of the area around The Rocks and Circular Quay. You really couldnt go wrong with the Oyster Bar as it has such an iconic outdoor setting. Nics is more mass market and set amongst a myriad of other good restaurants at Darling Harbour (very busy).

Me, i just go to my local fish n chips ( or is that fush n chups) shop fir $20.:D

There will always be a cheaper and easier option for anything but that is people's choice. Doyle's has a reputation overseas so people want to visit this famed restaurant and experience it for themselves. I am sure they know it will be expensive and that they could get cheaper elsewhere but they will still go. :D

DAVID..I agree, been to Doyles at the Quay and Watsons, a dining experience. I believe the Doyle family are no longer in Watsons Bay pub either, sold it. I first went there in the mid-late 60's.

In recent years Doyles did a 'seniors' lunch for $30, fush end chups (hic) plus a glass of house vino, not bad either.

Some good fish and chipperies down here at Batemans Bay as you Canberrans would know. Lubberly Jubberly as the P&O UK Indian waiters like to say. LOL. The P&O UK ships do nice Fish and Chips in their buffets.

Edited by NSWP