How do i check to see if my cruise went down if i booked during a special

texasnana

I booked our cruise in May 2014 for Jan 2016. I did the buy one get one half price sale. How do I know if the cruise went down since they continue to have sales? I hear of folks booking early and getting onboard credit etc. I am not sure how to do it with this sale? Do I do a mock booking for the same room?

I booked our cruise in May 2014 for Jan 2016. I did the buy one get one half price sale. How do I know if the cruise went down since they continue to have sales? I hear of folks booking early and getting onboard credit etc. I am not sure how to do it with this sale? Do I do a mock booking for the same room?

Yes, mock bookings are how I do it. You can subscribe to other sites which monitor prices, but I enjoy the game of it searching for deals.

We have managed to save hundreds of dollars last March Break cruise by having me check. Not only that, we got 3 rooms for the price of 2 (put 2 in each room instead of 2 in one and 4 in the other) and we saved $300 in addition to getting the extra room. I was happy with the original price, so those were just great bonuses.

We switched cruises this year too when a sale came out. Does it take time, yes, but it can be fun. Kind of like why play 100 hands of blackjack when you can simply put down all your cash on one hand and save yourself some time?

Yes, do a mock booking for the same category stateroom you have, making sure to check the appropriate boxes for Senior, Residence, Military, etc.

Can't you just go through the search option on RCCL website? Select same cruise, same number of people and same cabin and compare your final number. If you got any extras like obc or free specialty dining, then you would need to take that into account as you'd lose it.

I tried to check, but there were so many variables. I booked during WOW interior balcony, second person half price and it was a GUARANTY, and I was assigned a D1, 635 on the 11th deck overlooking the central park. It is nice for us not too far to both the front and rear elevators.

I don't think I got any advantage by booking GTY as far as price break except a $200 OBC. Also since I didn't book that particular cabin, going to another D1 I would loose the OBC.

So I just forgot about it. I am happy with that cabin on the Oasis.

....Ott

Can't you just go through the search option on RCCL website? Select same cruise, same number of people and same cabin and compare your final number. If you got any extras like obc or free specialty dining, then you would need to take that into account as you'd lose it.

Yes you can

It's like the stock market. You never buy at the lowest. There is always a "Sale". The real cost changes maybe $50 up or down / Cat. Your time is worth more. Just enjoy the vacation.

We have saved thousands of dollars over the years by checking for price drops. I keep a sheet by the computer listing our reservations with the key information -- date, ship, cabin category, total price, net price (minus OBC etc), and per diem. It takes about 15 minutes on the RCL website to see if there is any difference between what we have booked and the current price including OBCs.

Usually we book more than 18 months out from the cruise date so we get the cabin we want then we watch for price drops, currently have 10 reservations on the list.

Always happy to do the price drop dance. :D

Edited by tomko2

I tried to check, but there were so many variables. I booked during WOW interior balcony, second person half price and it was a GUARANTY, and I was assigned a D1, 635 on the 11th deck overlooking the central park. It is nice for us not too far to both the front and rear elevators.

I don't think I got any advantage by booking GTY as far as price break except a $200 OBC. Also since I didn't book that particular cabin, going to another D1 I would loose the OBC.

So I just forgot about it. I am happy with that cabin on the Oasis.

....Ott

If you're happy with your cabin then no problem. But often times a lower rate will be more than $200 lower than what you paid. I've always kept my same cabin as long as I keep the same category (i.e. D1 to D1). But if you paid $1000 per person for a cost of $2000 and get a $200 OBC, your bottom line is $1800. If the price drops to $800 each but you lose your OBC, your total cost for 2 people is $1600 so you are better off lose the OBC and get the lower rate as the cruise costs $1600 vs. $1800.

We always book 12-18 months out so that we can find the itinerary, ship, cabin (and yes fare) we want. From there, we use a fare monitoring site and periodically do "mock bookings". Along the way we've saved quite a bit through reductions. The only caveat with monitoring sites would be that sometimes they detect a reduction, when the reality may be that through previous promotions, earned loyalty credits, early booking bonuses, etc...you may already have a lower fare than the new "reduced" rate. That's part of the fun though...knowing that we have the vacation we want budgeted and planned, but it is worth checking into....just in case...there is always the possibility the fare could go down.

Also remember any reductions are not automatic...you need to contact your travel agent or the cruise line to initiate the adjustment. If a reduction is in order before the final payment due date and you haven't paid in full yet, you will see a reduced due amount. If you have paid in full, it will appear as a refund to your CC or as OBC....usually your choice. If there is a reduction after the final payment due date, there are no additional fare adjustments for previously booked passengers.

Have a great cruise and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good advice from those above, but I will say that May 2014 sales had some of the best prices I have seen so far. I have been checking and my May booked cruises have been just a bit below the newer sale prices that are available.

What happens if the price drops after Final Payment?

Royal will not give you credit of any kind. However, you might be able to upgrade for little or no extra cost if higher category staterooms have also dropped in price.

Also remember any reductions are not automatic...you need to contact your travel agent or the cruise line to initiate the adjustment. If a reduction is in order before the final payment due date and you haven't paid in full yet, you will see a reduced due amount. If you have paid in full, it will appear as a refund to your CC or as OBC....usually your choice. If there is a reduction after the final payment due date, there are no additional fare adjustments for previously booked passengers.

First time cruiser, and also confused. We booked with an agent in October ( for March 2015 cruise) and got BOGO 1/2 off for 2 staterooms. 3 days later, I got an email from an online-cruise agent with an offer of BOGO 1/2 off PLUS free gratuities and $200 per room credit. When I asked my agent, she said she could only apply one offer, and since we had received the BOGO 1/2 off, that was the offer we would get. I now see on RCCL's site an offer of BOGO 1/2 off plus $200 onboard credit per room. Can I press my agent to receive this offer? Can I press RCCL for this offer? I feel like I have left money on the table and not sure how to pursue.

Also, when we booked there were not many adjoining staterooms, so I am not sure if making a new reservation would work here or not. Experts? Thank you.

First time cruiser, and also confused. We booked with an agent in October ( for March 2015 cruise) and got BOGO 1/2 off for 2 staterooms. 3 days later, I got an email from an online-cruise agent with an offer of BOGO 1/2 off PLUS free gratuities and $200 per room credit. When I asked my agent, she said she could only apply one offer, and since we had received the BOGO 1/2 off, that was the offer we would get. I now see on RCCL's site an offer of BOGO 1/2 off plus $200 onboard credit per room. Can I press my agent to receive this offer? Can I press RCCL for this offer? I feel like I have left money on the table and not sure how to pursue.

Also, when we booked there were not many adjoining staterooms, so I am not sure if making a new reservation would work here or not. Experts? Thank you.

If your cruise is beyond final payment date, there is not much hope for getting a better deal. You can contact the TA and give it a try, but I would not expect much.