Wireless doorbell for balcony room

lharry

I'm looking for an inexpensive wireless doorbell. I'm planning to glue a magnet to the back of the button for outside the cabin door, and will carry the actual bell out on the balcony with me so I will hear when someone is at my door (room service, kids, other family, etc).

Has anyone else done this, and did it work well? Do you recommend a specific brand/model? Any problems?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've got exactly what you're describing, and it would work exactly as you need it to, but I think my wife bought it on Amazon, on line, and it has no identifying marks to tell me what brand it is. Take a look there, and I'll bet you'll find one that fills the bill. Not expensive, but works GREAT. :D

"SKY"

It's about being able to relax on the balcony and not worry that your room service delivery won't be heard. I've wanted to sit out on the balcony but been "stuck" waiting inside for the knock at the door which can't be heard while out on the balcony. My wife, on the other hand is getting to appreciate the balcony while I pace around inside the cabin, "annoyed" that room service is taking longer than I'd wish to arrive.

I understand where the OP is coming from. Please share your practical experience.

Thats a good idea, however if you know people are coming why not just wait in your room?

I guess you've not done much waiting sitting on the bed waiting for a friend who got diverted, or room service delayed for whatever reason. With a bell, you get to enjoy wait time until someone shows up, and not run to the door every few minutes only to find out someone is knocking on another cabin door.

You really don't need to do that....if someone knocks on your door, you'll hear it. Tell them to knock hard.

Or, if you're expecting folks, leave the door ajar....honestly...the cabin isn't so large that you can't hear, or get to the door.

Wow I love this , May just have hit new high , or low as it may go in lazy on vacation LMAO :D:D:D

But I just flip the lock and leave the door open and they normally walk right it.

Edited by frito58

So I can understand friends or kids using it, I doubt room service will. They are used to knocking on the doors due to the lack of a bell/buzzer. I don't think they're going to specifically look for a doorbell button to press unless you hang a big sign on your door--even then, there is a chance that the delivery person's English language skills may be very poor and may not understand your sign if you do have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So I can understand friends or kids using it, I doubt room service will. They are used to knocking on the doors due to the lack of a bell/buzzer. I don't think they're going to specifically look for a doorbell button to press unless you hang a big sign on your door--even then, there is a chance that the delivery person's English language skills may be very poor and may not understand your sign if you do have one.

And that sign could invite people ringing the doorbell that you don't want. Heck, you don't even need a sign for that. Something else, things have disappeared from doors.:(

Is this door bell something you would take in after a certain time, or leave it attached for your entire cruise. I can just see teenagers, who accidentally discover it, ring it while roaming the hallway, with nothing else to do.

I've waited in my cabin, reading, waiting for the delivery of a bottle of booze my TA gave me. After awhile I heard the faint tapping at my door. It was room service. So even expecting someone doesn't mean you'll hear them, unless it's someone you know and they know to KNOCK. I don't even have a balcony cabin.

Geez, nearly 4 years of my life as a passenger on cruise ships and we somehow survived without a doorbell or cell phone. Have no idea how, but we will keep it that way :)

Hank

Yep. I work in a service business where I have to drive to people's houses. We call every customer before hand and give them an ETA accurate to within about 10 minutes. It amazes me how many times you'll get to someone's house (mind you, this is AFTER talking with them on the phone to give them the ETA), and they don't hear the doorbell and you have to call them from their front door and get ridiculous answers like "oh, I was in the shower and didn't hear you." HELLO, I JUST TOLD YOU I WOULD BE HERE AT x:xx! Why people do they things they do I will never know. If you know to be expecting someone, BE READY FOR THEM. I've gotten to the point where, provided I talked to them on the phone and verbally told THEM (not a voice mail) when I was going to be there, if they don't answer the door, I simply leave. I don't have the time on a day to play games with people.

We just click the latch that shuts the door when we know room service is coming. Keep in mind that many people who deliver don't speak English, so I'm not so sure a note over your doorbell will work. Their instructions are to knock.

This was my thinking as well. They are not instructed to look for doorbells. Is it really that difficult to just make yourself available and keep an ear out for a knock?

I'm looking for an inexpensive wireless doorbell. I'm planning to glue a magnet to the back of the button for outside the cabin door, and will carry the actual bell out on the balcony with me so I will hear when someone is at my door (room service, kids, other family, etc).

Has anyone else done this, and did it work well? Do you recommend a specific brand/model? Any problems?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You must be kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep. I work in a service business where I have to drive to people's houses. We call every customer before hand and give them an ETA accurate to within about 10 minutes. It amazes me how many times you'll get to someone's house (mind you, this is AFTER talking with them on the phone to give them the ETA), and they don't hear the doorbell and you have to call them from their front door and get ridiculous answers like "oh, I was in the shower and didn't hear you." HELLO, I JUST TOLD YOU I WOULD BE HERE AT x:xx! Why people do they things they do I will never know. If you know to be expecting someone, BE READY FOR THEM. I've gotten to the point where, provided I talked to them on the phone and verbally told THEM (not a voice mail) when I was going to be there, if they don't answer the door, I simply leave. I don't have the time on a day to play games with people.

If someone calls me and says they will be at my house between 8 and 8:30 I listen for the doorbell. BUT if I am in the bathroom or have the TV even slightly high it is extremely hard to hear. Even when I hear the doorbell it takes me a minimum of 30 seconds to get to the door. If I am downstairs it is even harder to hear the doorbell. So please consider that not everyone has the best doorbell in the world combined with the best hearing. My mother NEVER hears her doorbell even if she is standing under the bell. She only notices when her dogs bark. It has nothing to do with being rude. In some cases it is just hard of hearing or a crummy doorbell. Be thankful that you don't have that issue and show some tolerance. Short of standing next to the door I don't know how to make it perfect for someone ringing the bell.

To the OP - we just flip the latch and listen for the knock. Friends and family just enter on their own. If I'm using room service I'm listening more carefully. I can't imagine using a doorbell.

If someone calls me and says they will be at my house between 8 and 8:30 I listen for the doorbell. BUT if I am in the bathroom or have the TV even slightly high it is extremely hard to hear. Even when I hear the doorbell it takes me a minimum of 30 seconds to get to the door. If I am downstairs it is even harder to hear the doorbell. So please consider that not everyone has the best doorbell in the world combined with the best hearing. My mother NEVER hears her doorbell even if she is standing under the bell. She only notices when her dogs bark. It has nothing to do with being rude. In some cases it is just hard of hearing or a crummy doorbell. Be thankful that you don't have that issue and show some tolerance. Short of standing next to the door I don't know how to make it perfect for someone ringing the bell.

To the OP - we just flip the latch and listen for the knock. Friends and family just enter on their own. If I'm using room service I'm listening more carefully. I can't imagine using a doorbell.

I don't leave in 30 seconds. I'm referring to after you ring the doorbell multiple times, knocked multiple times, and have been at their doorstep for 5 minutes. I also understand having to use the bathroom for normal bodily functions. I'm referring to the lame excuses along the lines of "I went to take a shower," or "I was sleeping." Yeah, well I had just talked to these people 15 minutes ago personally on the phone and told them I was coming. Falling asleep or taking a shower is plain old being rude and

inconsiderate when they are aware that someone is coming. Now if I show up unexpectedly, then that's my fault. I'm specifically referring to cases where there has been verbal prior communication. That is rude to waste my time when this person could have done their personal stuff at another time where it didn't impact someone else. If you know that someone is coming to your house at 11:00, you don't wait until 10:55 to get in the shower for 30 minutes. The considerate person would either be sure they are done by 11 or simply do it later. That is my point.

PS. I've also had people say that they were outside doing yard work and didn't hear the doorbell even though I had talked to them on the phone 20 minutes earlier. When someone says that they will be at your house at 11, be ready. Also mind you, I'm not giving a 3 hour window-I'm giving a pretty specific time.

Edited by A2Mich

I don't leave in 30 seconds. I'm referring to after you ring the doorbell multiple times, knocked multiple times, and have been at their doorstep for 5 minutes. I also understand having to use the bathroom for normal bodily functions. I'm referring to the lame excuses along the lines of "I went to take a shower," or "I was sleeping." Yeah, well I had just talked to these people 15 minutes ago personally on the phone and told them I was coming. Falling asleep or taking a shower is plain old being rude and

inconsiderate when they are aware that someone is coming. Now if I show up unexpectedly, then that's my fault. I'm specifically referring to cases where there has been verbal prior communication. That is rude to waste my time when this person could have done their personal stuff at another time where it didn't impact someone else. If you know that someone is coming to your house at 11:00, you don't wait until 10:55 to get in the shower for 30 minutes. The considerate person would either be sure they are done by 11 or simply do it later. That is my point.

PS. I've also had people say that they were outside doing yard work and didn't hear the doorbell even though I had talked to them on the phone 20 minutes earlier. When someone says that they will be at your house at 11, be ready. Also mind you, I'm not giving a 3 hour window-I'm giving a pretty specific time.

Well THAT I agree with you on. I have, however, had people arrive at my door, ring the bell and before I can get down the stairs are calling me on the phone to see what is taking me so long. Thus my previous comments.

Well THAT I agree with you on. I have, however, had people arrive at my door, ring the bell and before I can get down the stairs are calling me on the phone to see what is taking me so long. Thus my previous comments.

No, that is ridiculous. As a service provider, you do need to give people a reasonable chance to get to the door. Not like Chris Rock in Grown Ups where he is a cable guy and watches the elderly lady go into her bathroom. As soon as she's "indisposed," he runs up, rings the doorbell and leaves a "sorry we missed you" notice on the door. My favorite are the ones where you tell someone that you will be there at x time, they say OK, no problem. Then when you arrive, they're STILL not home.....and then show up 20 minutes later. Those are the ones that deserve the "screw you call someone else" notices. Lol.

All kidding aside, I do give people a chance, and typically will ring doorbell and knock as sometimes doorbells are broken. So as long as you can get your butt to the door within two to three minutes, we're all good!

My mother NEVER hears her doorbell even if she is standing under the bell. She only notices when her dogs bark. It has nothing to do with being rude. In some cases it is just hard of hearing or a crummy doorbell.

You can get a visual signal to tell you if someone is at the door such as a light flashing.

BTW - a comment on this ridiculous cabin door bell idea. Unless you plan to take it off when you are not expected something, everyone and especially every kid is going to lean on your doorbell as they walk past your cabin. I hope that you do not plan to take a nap in the afternoon or to go to bed early.

How have all of us cruised for so many years without a doorbell on cabin door. I can't imagine.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

You can get a visual signal to tell you if someone is at the door such as a light flashing.

DON

LOL - but she hears everything she wants to hear. She actually doesn't really hear the dogs half the time either. She just sees their movements. At 85 I've given up. Finally talked her into hearing aids in November. She sent them to me to return them yesterday.

As a side note - on Princess if you are hard of hearing they will put a light in your room for when someone knocks .... my nephew is profoundly deaf and that was offered. A light for the phone as well. Not sure what good that does a deaf person though.