When to purchase drink package?

loopner

Just trying to figure out when to purchase the drink package for our trip. Am I correct that its charged as soon as you sign up? I'd like to use our OBC to pay for it. Does that mean I need to wait until I'm on-board to sign up for it?

Just trying to figure out when to purchase the drink package for our trip. Am I correct that its charged as soon as you sign up? I'd like to use our OBC to pay for it. Does that mean I need to wait until I'm on-board to sign up for it?

Exactly. If you book now then you will have to pay now. Wait until you get on the ship. :)

The only nice thing about doing it ahead of time is not having such a large charge on your Sea Pass! One reason for the drink package is not to see a big bill at the end of the sailing so paying ahead of time eliminates that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks all for the advice!

I'm not from Canada ... so that point is moot.

As for OBC, we might go to a specialty restaurant one night, but other than that - I don't drink much (alcoholic that is) and I don't gamble. I could use the money for excursions, but I want to book those before the cruise.

That is the longest line I've ever seen on embarkation day at the soda package table.

So there's like 8 people in line?

Does everyone who is getting the package need to be there? Or can we send a representive from our cabin to purchase for all?

So there's like 8 people in line?

Does everyone who is getting the package need to be there? Or can we send a representive from our cabin to purchase for all?

They will need all the of sea pass cards to apply the drink package sticker.

If you get it right when you get onboard there is no line. It's when all the first timers find out about a drink package around 3pm, when the lines back up.

If you are from Canada it is a much better idea to buy it ahead of time and pay in canadian dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the Royal web site is says for the select packages it's $35.00 USD. Doesn't this mean I have to pay in US dollars or because I'm Canadian it will be $35 Canadian dollars?

when you purchase on the ship it will be american dollars. If your credit card is canadian, your bank will convert it to Loonies and Toonies

Having a Blonde moment....So it's cheaper for Canadians to purchase it before they go than on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Royal web site is says for the select packages it's $35.00 USD. Doesn't this mean I have to pay in US dollars or because I'm Canadian it will be $35 Canadian dollars?

Having a Blonde moment....So it's cheaper for Canadians to purchase it before they go than on the ship?

If you buy it ahead of time on Cruise Planner, you will be charged CAD. For the select plan, it should be $38.15 CAD + 15%. Total would be $43.87 CAD per day. When purchasing from Canada, Royal seems to be giving a great conversion rate and charges your card in CAD funds from a location in Vancouver (at least that is what my Visa statement says) so your bank does not do any of the CAD to USD conversion.

If you buy it on board, you will be charged $35.00 USD + 15%. Total would be $40.25 USD per day. If you consider the conversion rate is around 20% or so right now, you would be looking at being charged $48 per day CAD once your bank does the conversion.

So, long story short, unless you happen to have a pile of US funds lying around, it will be cheaper to purchase before you leave home.

I hope that made sense!!

If you buy it ahead of time on Cruise Planner, you will be charged CAD. For the select plan, it should be $38.15 CAD + 15%. Total would be $43.87 CAD per day. When purchasing from Canada, Royal seems to be giving a great conversion rate and charges your card in CAD funds from a location in Vancouver (at least that is what my Visa statement says) so your bank does not do any of the CAD to USD conversion.

If you buy it on board, you will be charged $35.00 USD + 15%. Total would be $40.25 USD per day. If you consider the conversion rate is around 20% or so right now, you would be looking at being charged $48 per day CAD once your bank does the conversion.

So, long story short, unless you happen to have a pile of US funds lying around, it will be cheaper to purchase before you leave home.

I hope that made sense!!

Makes sense, Thanks [emoji4] we are getting the premium package but I think I will still wait until on the ship because I would like to use our $200 OBC towards it. 4 more sleeps, [emoji483]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fyi, all Canadian prices went up today. Still better than buying on board in USA $ according to my calculations but not as good a deal as it was.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yup, I just checked and it sure did. It was showing $38.15 earlier tonight but now it is $43CAD + 15% = $49.45 CAD.

Onboard is $35USD + 15% = $40.25 USD. Assuming 20% exchange would be $48.30.

If the exchange rate is 20% on board, it would be better to buy on board, but only slightly.

Hopefully it gets better soon.