Current pre and post air/hotel arrangements

dexddd

Can you folks clarify which day room we speak about? The inbound day room was IC and supposedly the outbound when we went in 2013 was the Radisson. The reason I say supposedly is we left the night before via air deviation.

Are they still doing it that way now or is it Radisson on both sides?

Personally I would choose the IC over the Pearl any day of the week. The Pearl is isolated whereas the IC is close to some other places of interest. The IC is the grand dame of Tahiti, a welcomed friend for us that have been there so many times.

Even if there is a small charge to go to the IC I would take advantage of it

The day room, in our experience, has been going in the IC and going out the Radisson. Yes, the IC is better located and has more activity but really the room is for resting after a wonderful PC cruise and to slowly bring one back to reality. One time, we were upgraded to the IC for our return day room. I wouldn't stress over it.

Sometimes the day rooms are at the IC are very small and not as nice as their standard rooms. So in that sense the Radisson room has been nicer.

As Motoislander stated, if you take the PC flight arrangements you are one of the last to leave the ship which has always been a plus. After breakfast there is time to run over the market place for last minute purchases (the least expensive place to shop for "little" mementos).

Just curious, why would anyone lock themselves in a room for your last day in paradise?

From the IC you can walk to the largest market on the island, the equivalent to Costco, easily grab the bus for a few bucks and go downtown, walk to the marina .....

The pool area at the IC is superior to the Pearl. The rooms at the Pearl are indeed nice but then again, who stays in their room when your in paradise and for me personally I don' like being isolated and away from everything.

But as they say, to each their own

We did the included tour on our 1st sailing in 2001 and have skipped it ever since. Once and done.

I prefer the IC for several reasons.

• First, it has a MUCH nicer pool including a swim-up bar.
  • Second, it is walking distance from Carrefour where you can get food and bottled wine etc for a fraction of the cost of the restaurant food (which is always a letdown after 10 days on the PG).
  • Third, it is five minutes from the airport and ten from the ship; instead of a 45 min ride that feels like two hours.
  • Fourth, while the beach at the Pearl is black sand and as such a novelty; to me it looks and feels like mud instead of sand

As has been said, to each his own, but I would GLADLY pay the $40 upgrade, or $225 to ADD the dayroom and later flight so that we can stay on the PG for another half a day.

I'm one who always preferred the Radisson, but then I heard it got quite rundown. I'm hoping to hear that its new owners will maintain it better, now that it's the Pearl. I love the black beach. Not to walk on, necessarily, but just to look at. There are lots of locals walking, playing and swimming especially on a Saturday. And the pool is lovely. Here's a picture of the beach from our balcony, from 2008:

PC060012-M.jpg

I'm with motuislsnder on this one. The pool at the IC is superior. Close to the largest store on the island, only 3/4 of a mile walk. At the shopping center you have several places to eat, grab your souvenirs and grab some snacks to bring back to eat later.

The closest place to eat from the Pearl is 1.5 miles away .... a McDonalds, no major shopping center close by. Your just isolated.

Another difference is the location, IC is close to the airport and the lagoon is mello, the Pearl.s black sand beach is not within the lagoon, can be rough.

By the way there is a decent supermarket much closer to the IC than Carrefour. Not nearly as nice and much much much smaller but serves its purpose. Make a left instead of a right when leaving the property. I love getting smiles from hotel employees as I carry my 50 cent large baguettes back along with a bag of goodies. This is how to make a Tahitian vacation affordable,

By the way there is a decent supermarket much closer to the IC than Carrefour. Not nearly as nice and much much much smaller but serves its purpose. Make a left instead of a right when leaving the property. I love getting smiles from hotel employees as I carry my 50 cent large baguettes back along with a bag of goodies. This is how to make a Tahitian vacation affordable,

I love affordable tips :)

Yes there is a small market to the left, we just prefer the large shopping center to grab last minute souvenirs, snacks for the afternoon and evening and bring back French items that can be tough to find at home. Only a 10-15 minute walk, good to start walking off the pounds we put on while cruising

I love affordable tips :)

Yes there is a small market to the left, we just prefer the large shopping center to grab last minute souvenirs, snacks for the afternoon and evening and bring back French items that can be tough to find at home. Only a 10-15 minute walk, good to start walking off the pounds we put on while cruising

Which direction when leaving the IC is the large shopping center? We may have to make a quick stop there.

When leaving the IC turn right out of the driveway. It will take a good 10-20 minutes to get there.

The french wine seemed to be subsidized since the prices were high but not as high as one would be led to believe. A can of coke cost approximately a dollar when we were there.

I loved the baguette sandwiches made in the back of the store. We lived on baguette sandwiches, Taboo beer and fruit when we went one time prior to the cruise.

I thought the market place was better for those "momentos" than Carrefour though. I found my favorite french jam I like and purchased there. It was worth the visit just to see how FP shop and what they purchase.

Which direction when leaving the IC is the large shopping center? We may have to make a quick stop there.

The Carrefour market and shopping center is the FP equivalent to our Costco. In fact many of the products have the Kirkland name on them.

As mentioned the prices are good for FP standards. We always grab a few baguettes, jam, cheese, soft drinks plus a lunch item to enjoy for the day, any bread we don!t eat goes to the fish in the lagoon.

15 minute walk ........ There are also a handful of other inexpensive places to eat around the market.

Would agree the ale Marche downtown is the best spot for souviners but there is plenty of good stuff at the Carrefour. If you want to go back downtown the IC has a shuttle, about $10 per person or you can simply walk out the front of the IC driveway, go across the street and a bit to the left where you will find a bus stop. $2 bucks and you get s ride downtown and you get to rub shoulders with the locals. The bus runs like a clock, every 15 - 20 minutes depending on time of day and day of week.

BTW, we spent a post-cruise night at Le Meridien last year and quite enjoyed it. There is indeed a large supermarket quite close by, although we didn't bother since we were only there overnight. It's a little further from the airport, but we very much liked this hotel.

Great to know. I booked this hotel for one night. It doesn't get the best reviews as IC or others on Trip Advisor, but most complaints I couldn't care less about. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Last year the hotel arranged drop off and pick up at the Carrefours for $10 each way. It allowed us to do a lot of shopping food, gifts etc without worrying about having to carry the load.

Carrefours is a French chain that we have shopped at in many locations in France as well as in Shanghai, Jakarta etc. it's a bit like a Walmart rather than a Costco with lower price and quality goods. However it was very convenient for us to buy an extra cheap suitcase to bring home shopping in Shanghai. French wines are real buys inCarrefours around the world. I guess they bulk buy.

Walmart?

Guess we have a difference of terminology ......

At least at my hometown Walmart I don't see the massive wine selection of some very good wines, nor do I see Kirkland (Costco) products, nor the incredible selection of cheeses and other delicacy items. A very good selection of high end food products can be found at the Carrefour close to the IC.

I don't get excited about going to a Whalmart, but the Carrefour .... Love it

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

TBK I agree the wine selection is decent but you would find such a selection in almost any French grocery store. The cheeses are all delicious but more the mass produced names. If you take out those items other merchandise they sell is lower end.

As I said we have been to a number of them worldwide likely at least 25 stores!

I am not a Walmart shopper so maybe my perception of what they sell is not based on reality. I do love my local Costco though.

TBK I agree the wine selection is decent but you would find such a selection in almost any French grocery store. The cheeses are all delicious but more the mass produced names. If you take out those items other merchandise they sell is lower end.

As I said we have been to a number of them worldwide likely at least 25 stores!

I am not a Walmart shopper so maybe my perception of what they sell is not based on reality. I do love my local Costco though.

Now we're finding common ground. The subject is the Carrefour close to the IC. This particular Carrefour is the best supermarket in French Polynesia and is heads and tails above your average Walmart in the states though I'm sure there are better Carrefours around the globe as you personally know.

If I want the best buy on a 36 pack of cheap beer I go to my local Walmart. If I'm looking for a decent bottle of wine to bring to a party or a good quality beer including some micro brews I go to something much better than my local Walmart. I'm sure I could find something special at the Carrefour close to the IC, again a real treat for us to bring back a few special French wines to give away at Christmas time.