Upsell Offer from Princess

TwoCruisers

I can’t believe we got an upsell offer from Princess. This is our 14th cruise on Princess and our first offer of any kind. We are moving from an inside room to an obstructed view deluxe balcony for only $129 each. This will be our first time in a balcony cabin.:D

I think that Princess is really working at the Up-Sells now to increase revenue. Good marketing plan I would say, brings in a bit more revenue rather than giving the upgrades away when there are empty rooms or too many lower grade cabins were sold with guarantees.

We board Princess cruise number 22 tomorrow and had our first up sell offer ever on it a couple of weeks ago. We chose to decline our offer but in the right situation we would certainly spring for it.

Until now we have had amazing free upgrade luck but maybe we shot ourselves in the foot in not taking the up-sell as unless there is a change at the pier tomorrow, we received exactly what we paid for.

Terry

Just saw the email (junk folder) today, called immediately message said they were already sold out. Left name in case, $99.00 each fr inside to balcony! Darn Darn Darn. First upsell ever and this is our 14 cruise.

I can’t believe we got an upsell offer from Princess. This is our 14th cruise on Princess and our first offer of any kind. We are moving from an inside room to an obstructed view deluxe balcony for only $129 each. This will be our first time in a balcony cabin.:D

Oh-ohhhhh! You're in trouble now. You may never want to book an inside cabin again. :p

Just saw the email (junk folder) today, called immediately message said they were already sold out. Left name in case, $99.00 each fr inside to balcony! Darn Darn Darn. First upsell ever and this is our 14 cruise.

So sorry to hear that. Wow, how long was it sitting in your spam folder?

I think that Princess is really working at the Up-Sells now to increase revenue. Good marketing plan I would say, brings in a bit more revenue rather than giving the upgrades away when there are empty rooms or too many lower grade cabins were sold with guarantees.

Terry

I feel the same way...offer reasonably priced upsells instead of giving so many complimentary upgrades will increase their income. We got one for a 3 day from LA earlier this month but for a 55% increase stayed inside instead of moving to a balcony.

• 1 month later...

We just received a Princess upsell offer via e-mail -- an inside cabin to a balcony for $99 each for a 7-day cruise. This is only the second upsell offer to come our way in 10 Princess cruises. Last year, we received an upsell offer to upgrade from a mini-suite to a full suite for $199 each. And years ago, we were upgraded for free from an obstructed ocean view to a mid ship Caribe balcony cabin. We accepted all three offers.

When booking these cruises, we had to let Princess know that we wanted an upgrade, if it became available. The other factor, I believe, was that all of these cruises were in the off-season, not peak cruising season. So maybe there is some rhyme or reason to the upsell process. Oh yes, we had booked directly with Princess. I felt that there would be a delay if an upsell offer became available and it had to go through a travel agent. These offers do sell out quickly.

However, I agree with those who said you should book a cabin you can live with, just in case the upgrade does not happen. ;)

We just received a Princess upsell offer via e-mail -- an inside cabin to a balcony for $99 each for a 7-day cruise. This is only the second upsell offer to come our way in 10 Princess cruises. Last year, we received an upsell offer to upgrade from a mini-suite to a full suite for $199 each. And years ago, we were upgraded for free from an obstructed ocean view to a mid ship Caribe balcony cabin. We accepted all three offers.

When booking these cruises, we had to let Princess know that we wanted an upgrade, if it became available. The other factor, I believe, was that all of these cruises were in the off-season, not peak cruising season. So maybe there is some rhyme or reason to the upsell process. Oh yes, we had booked directly with Princess. I felt that there would be a delay if an upsell offer became available and it had to go through a travel agent. These offers do sell out quickly.

However, I agree with those who said you should book a cabin you can live with, just in case the upgrade does not happen. ;)

We received an up sell offer and did not book directly with Princess. The process to accept the offer is the same either way. We did not have to go through our travel agent.

Good TAs get these out right away. I don't think there is a delay by using a TA.

Edited by Coral

We got an upsell offer that went to out TA. She called immediately and gave me the phone number and extension to call. For $159 each we went from a regular balcony on our 10 day Royal to a minisuite. I did it, just because I knew DH would never pay for a minisuite. I always put no upgrade on our bookings because I pick our location and don't want to chance being moved to an area I wouldn't want.

Good TAs get these out right away. I don't think there is a delay by using a TA.

We recieved an upsell from a mini to full suite, 219.00 PP this Feb. Our TA received the email at 8pm and sent it to us in the morning at 10. I would prefer they notify me instead of TA because I am not busy, I am always checking my email. I would have called them within 30 minutes. We did get it however. Just wish they would change that.

Since they're calling them Captains Circle offers and they have our personal info, it would be way better to contact us direct.

Absolutely! If I lose out on an offer I would rather it was because of me not my TA. (Which would not happen):)

I actually called Princess today to inquire how the upgrades work since I have never been offered and my upcoming cruise has 24 full suites left and is running out of mini's. I was told it is a different department and they do some sort of lottery.

We received a free upgrade from a balcony to a mini. Then 2 weeks later we got an upsell off for $300/pp to a full suite. It went to my TA, who was out of the office. Her fill-in got it and called me. He told me I had until 5PM to accept. When I called back at 1:30, he called Princess and left a voicemail. They called at 4:30 and said that they were all gone. I was upset, because the TA told me we had until 5PM. I thought it was a Princess mistake, but found out later from CC that it is a first come, first served basis. In the meantime I had sent an email to Princess expressing my displeasure, but not complaining too much, explaining that it was our 30th anniversary and we were going to splurge to celebrate. We were upset, but it wasn't enough to spoil our cruise or ruin our vacation. A few days later a Princess rep called me back to tell me how sorry she was and to explain. I told her that I had since found out it was our TA who had made the mistake, not Princess. She said that all of the suites were gone, but she upgraded us to the highest category mini (MA). She gave us D416, right smack dab in the middle of the ship.

I think if I had been rude in the email (ie I'm never sailing on Princess again, etc) the outcome would have been different.

I then sent another email to Princess telling them that I appreciated the kindness from their rep and that THAT is one of the reasons we will remain loyal to Princess.