CCorp Superbowl ad

AZbeachboy

While the sentiment expressed in that commercial really resonates with me, I think one would already have to have cruised to be able to relate. It also doesn't single out Princess (or Carnival Corp) as being special in any way. I still think the "virgin " ad would have caught people's attention better

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While the sentiment expressed in that commercial really resonates with me, I think one would already have to have cruised to be able to relate. It also doesn't single out Princess (or Carnival Corp) as being special in any way. I still think the "virgin " ad would have caught people's attention better

I do not think that the chosen one will encourage any person who has never cruised to want to cruise, on a Carnival Corp brand or any other brand.

I do not think that the chosen one will encourage any person who has never cruised to want to cruise, on a Carnival Corp brand or any other brand.

I agree with you. As I posted in the other thread, I liked the Message in a Bottle the best, and the Virgin Cruise was #2. I actually disliked the one they chose. The 4th video about escaping was awful and totally dumb!

I want to head up their advertising/PR division. It would have to be better than what they have now.

I thought it was funny and appropriate for a Super Bowl audience, but feel they missed a great opportunity to better identify CCL's brands.

Instead of quickly displaying brand logos at the end, they could have woven the brands into the script once it became clear they were onboard a ship--"My first time was with friends on Carnival, my second time with my parents on Princess", etc.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I think it's perfect for Carnival (the cruise line by far too tacky for Carnival Corporation overall.

It fits the tone of Carnival Cruises but not the other Cruise Lines under the CCL umbrella.

Total yawn. No programming today is going to feature/comment

on a snippet of that ad.

Actually I read a lot of outrage last night on social media because of using JFK's voice to sell a cruise. It might get more comment than you think. We also have the Christians upset because of it pushing evolution. This is the only ad from the Super Bowl that I saw talked about last night on SM. But not in a good way.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I don't think this ad will be talked about as it was overshadowed by the worst ad, Nationwide. The only place I have seen or heard the Carnival ad talked about is here.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I wish Mindy Kaling really was invisible... but that's beside the point.

Carnival Corp took the "safer" route with the JFK voice over commercial, instead of the edgier lose-your-cruise-virginity commercial. If their intent was to target first time cruisers, they picked wrong IMHO.

And I have every reason to believe that what Princess has been doing lately to their ships is in line with targeting new cruisers. Why else would they build ships like the Royal/Regal and make those awful changes to the Island? Certainly not with the idea of pleasing their loyal customers.

I agree with you. As I posted in the other thread, I liked the Message in a Bottle the best, and the Virgin Cruise was #2. I actually disliked the one they chose. The 4th video about escaping was awful and totally dumb!

I want to head up their advertising/PR division. It would have to be better than what they have now.

About 30 years ago, I worked for the ad agency handling Princess, but only worked on a small part of the account (senior citizen pubs). I don't even know or remember whether they did any broadcast ads at that time.

As I missed much of the game (Puppy Bowl) and only tuned into the game to catch the commercials while doing some work on my computer, I didn't see this ad when it ran. But did see a post of FB from one group that was pointing out the hubbub from the creationists. I think there was more negative comments about the Nationwide ad about safety and children. I did catch the end of that spot. It must have been difficult for any viewers who have lost kids (I doubt if my mother was watching the game, but I'm now wondering about this one woman who lost her teen just a few years ago...there were photos posted on FB from the party she was at so I'm hoping she was out of the room or it was too noisy to hear that spot).

This morning on our local news, there was some discussion about the ads, and the Carnival one wasn't mentioned. I only watched an hour, so it's possible it did get mentioned in another segment, but the Budweiser one, the Nationwide one and the Walter White one (which I loved, but an anchorperson said she didn't care for) were talked about. I still haven't seen any of the Doritos ones so will have to find another site (the tvguide one didn't have that one) that features more of the ads.

...This morning on our local news' date=' there was some discussion about the ads, and the Carnival one wasn't mentioned. I only watched an hour, so it's possible it did get mentioned in another segment, but the Budweiser one, the Nationwide one and the Walter White one (which I loved, but an anchorperson said she didn't care for) were talked about. I still haven't seen any of the Doritos ones so will have to find another site (the tvguide one didn't have that one) that features more of the ads.[/quote']

I have seen several local and national news commentaries about the SB ads, but none mentioned the CCL ad, either. I ran to the store at one point during the game, so I actually thought that the CCL virginity ad was the one that ran, for some reason.

I am surprised that the CCL ad with creationism in the content was run (or made to begin with), as many potential cruisers may be offended by it. I was also surprised by the Nationwide ad. I suspect it caused more pain for those who have lost children (I know several) than it helped prevent any future deaths. YMMV.

P.S. to the OP: You can view the Doritos ads at http://www.doritos.com

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

I have not seen much discussion anywhere besides here, which was intentional. I belong to other discussions groups and no one is discussing it. Most discussion of ads that were actually run was Nationwide. It sure made a strong point, but dont know how it made a point for their business.

The one that has been discussed the most is godaddy and that did not air. I though it was funny. Not that I think puppy mills are funny, I don't.

I have not seen much discussion anywhere besides here, which was intentional. I belong to other discussions groups and no one is discussing it. Most discussion of ads that were actually run was Nationwide. It sure made a strong point, but dont know how it made a point for their business.

The one that has been discussed the most is godaddy and that did not air. I though it was funny. Not that I think puppy mills are funny, I don't.

Facebook sites of Princess Carnival, CCL Corp were going ballistic over the creation vs evolution. It was hugely entertaining ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think this ad will be talked about as it was overshadowed by the worst ad, Nationwide. The only place I have seen or heard the Carnival ad talked about is here.

Carnival Corp took the "safer" route with the JFK voice over commercial, instead of the edgier lose-your-cruise-virginity commercial. If their intent was to target first time cruisers, they picked wrong IMHO.

The story behind the ad

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-02/how-john-f-kennedy-became-a-pitchman-for-carnival-cruise-ships?cmpid=yhoo