Would this be a good purchase for our cruise ?

Ykgorbie

We are booked on the Pride's 2 week repositioning cruise on March 15th. We have recently got into snorkeling, in fact, I purchased a prescription mask so I can see the fishies - used it on last cruise nad LOVED it. So...we are wondering whether to invest in a GoPro camera that I hear is the best underwater camera on the market. Can anybody chime in about the GoPro? Worth it ?

i don't have a gopro... but on my first cruise i got one of the disposable underwater cameras. i loved the pictures but they kinda sucked... i have graduated to a fully-featured underwater camera (fuji, not go pro), and the pics are much better, and always a highlight of my cruise photos / videos.

and just because it's underwater rated doesn't mean you can't use it for all your other 'above water' cruise photos too. mine's shock proof / drop proof / sand proof / dust proof and all of that too so all in all it's a pretty perfect little vacation camera...

My husband has a Go Pro and LOVES it! He takes it everywhere, and just got a chest mount thing so he can wear it for things like ski runs and walking around Disneyland (yes, he's a geek!). But we've been really pleased with it so far. The kids play with it in the swimming pool, etc. and we get some really fun pics.

My dad also has an underwater camera, but I don't remember the brand. He really likes it though, and uses it for lots of different activities. They are both really into photography though, and always have about 6 cameras between the two of them. On our last river rafting trip my mom and I were joking that it's amazing they managed to stay in the raft, because they were never paddling or hanging on, they were taking pics! So that is a benefit of the GoPro, you can mount it on your helmet or whatever, and then you don't have to worry about dropping it!

i don't have a gopro... but on my first cruise i got one of the disposable underwater cameras. i loved the pictures but they kinda sucked... i have graduated to a fully-featured underwater camera (fuji, not go pro), and the pics are much better, and always a highlight of my cruise photos / videos.

and just because it's underwater rated doesn't mean you can't use it for all your other 'above water' cruise photos too. mine's shock proof / drop proof / sand proof / dust proof and all of that too so all in all it's a pretty perfect little vacation camera...

What's the model number of your Fuji?

We are booked on the Pride's 2 week repositioning cruise on March 15th. We have recently got into snorkeling, in fact, I purchased a prescription mask so I can see the fishies - used it on last cruise nad LOVED it. So...we are wondering whether to invest in a GoPro camera that I hear is the best underwater camera on the market. Can anybody chime in about the GoPro? Worth it ?

GoPro cameras at ~$500 may be good for what they are. They certainly sell a lot of them so they must be doing something right. However, I seriously doubt that it is the best underwater camera on the market.

Look at this one at B&H for $6500 which has to be a bit better.

DON

GoPro cameras at ~$500 may be good for what they are. They certainly sell a lot of them so they must be doing something right. However, I seriously doubt that it is the best underwater camera on the market.

Look at this one at B&H for $6500 which has to be a bit better.

DON

Yes, I should have clarified my post - I meant best "affordable" underwater camera....would LOVE to have the B & H....in my dreams:o

Love my GoPro! Haven't had it during the warm season yet to be able to take underwater photos, but I can tell you that the above water stills are quite impressive for such a little thing. (I have a Hero4). Can't wait to test the underwater ability.

Word of caution some of the cameras have a rounded cover over the lens and when you go underwater with it, it gives you a kinda fish eye look and the ficus can be a little off. That has been a problem with some cameras that they try and make to do too much.

I own many cameras and one is a go pro. This is primarily a video camera though you can take stills with it. The lense is a wide angle. I have found that best is a Nikon aw-100 which current model is aw-120. Bought at Costco though any camera store or best buy have for about $250.00. It is water proof and can do videos if you want. It has a zoom lens and takes awesome pictures. It fits in your pocket for carrying around the ship.

As info I also bring a Nikon D810 DSLR for when we are not doing water activities.

If you want an all around good camera for action video, time lapse, occasional stills, waterproof, etc. then I'd recommend a GoPro. Love mine. If you just want an underwater camera, check other options as well. The GoPro has no focus, depth of field adjustment, or zoom ability (other than being able to choose between some field of view settings). It's truly point and shoot. It's awesome for a lot of things, but creative photography...not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Go Pro 4 and an Olympus TG-3. I primarily use the Go Pro while my wife uses the Olympus. Both are awesome. The Olympus is better for an all around camera as it has more capabilities but can also go to depths of 50 ft (130ft with diving casing). I've taken my Go Pro down to 90 ft so far. Love it. I use it for snorkeling, diving, snowboarding, bike riding and my wife just got the dog harness for it. Yes, even our dogs use the Go Pro!

I will say this to you. If you are only buying the camera for this trip and to use while snorkeling - don't it is not worth what you pay for it, instead save your money and buy a couple of disposable underwater cameras.