DAWN after DIAMOND

Sidney24

Would greatly appreciate comments on whether we could be disappointed in a Xmas cruise on Dawn Princess after a great Xmas Cruise on Diamond Princess.

Dawn now one of the older Princess ships whereas Diamond with its recent update was fantastic. Also Dawn I understand does not have as you please dining however may have other advantages.

Well, as we don't know your expectations, hard to say if you will be disappointed. However, you have identified the issues. Dawn is an older ship, no escaping that, and has less features.

We are sailing on her in August, and we thought about that as well. But, over all, it is a cruise.

I actually love that class of ship. I loved the simplicity of cruising on this ship - it reminds me of Traditional cruising as this class was one of the first ships I cruised on. I would take this ship over the Crown, Emerald or Ruby Princess. The Sun Class ships felt very spacious to me. Loved the pizzeria on them.

Just don't book triple or quad balcony cabins on these ships.

We took the Dawn about six months after a long trip on the Sapphire (which was after a long trip on the Diamond) and we were not disappointed. As others have said, it is a spacious ship and the Italian restaurant is a good venue.

If you can swing it, get a mini-suite on the Dawn. They're a double-wide balcony cabin, not an extended cabin like on the Grand and Royal class ships. So much bigger.

I sailed the Dawn one year after the Crown, when the KP was still pretty newish (1 or 2 years old -- a mere toddler). I had no complaints; in fact, I vastly preferred the Dawn. I loved her wide promenade deck, I loved the layout. I liked the smaller size. I enjoyed the little pizza sit-down restaurant. I liked the quiet little wine bar. She had a friendly crew and a relaxed vibe. The food was excellent and I loved that there were so many oceanview cabins! I say all this, even though cabin C309 had the hardest bed I've ever slept on, the pool water was the coldest ever, and it was a wild spring break cruise!

I do not pay any attention to "wear" or "age": thousands of people board these ships every week -- impossible to keep things looking brand spanking new. And I've sailed on the two Love Boat ships, who were decades older than the Dawn. The "wear and tear" police hereabouts would have Freaked. Out. Yet, if only it were possible, I'd take either of those two ships in a heartbeat.

The sun class ships (including dawn) are lovely, lovely perfectly acceptable ships. They have by far the best outdoor deck space and pools in the fleet. And in regard to "amenities" some perceive to be missing - I would say for the number of passengers what's available is not an issue. Would run to the pier to sail on any of these sisters!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We took the Dawn about six months after a long trip on the Sapphire (which was after a long trip on the Diamond) and we were not disappointed. As others have said, it is a spacious ship and the Italian restaurant is a good venue.

If you can swing it, get a mini-suite on the Dawn. They're a double-wide balcony cabin, not an extended cabin like on the Grand and Royal class ships. So much bigger.

If you get a mini on Dawn you will be totally spoiled by the cabin size. Also I agree about the pizza café, really nice. We sailed on her after a series of small ship cruises and we were worried about it being too big for us. :) After sailing the CB last year, in comparison I would say they each have delightful qualities as long as you are not looking for the latest bling (which we aren't). The service on both was outstanding. And we loved the forward view from the Horizon Court on the Dawn.

IMO there is a difference between "dated" and "worn." Yes, the spa décor is a little dated, but the ship was in fine condition. I didn't notice any of the nitpicky things other people have commented on.

Edited by MJC
add info

Some nice ideas on cabins.

Towards the aft, on Dolphin deck the outside cabins have a huge picture window with a little ledge to sit on. Never missed not having a balcony with that great view.

On Caribe deck, forward, the outside cabins are larger, size of the balcony cabins with balcony. Balconies are cut out of the hull.

We have sailed twice on The Dawn and loved it.

I actually love that class of ship. I loved the simplicity of cruising on this ship - it reminds me of Traditional cruising as this class was one of the first ships I cruised on. I would take this ship over the Crown, Emerald or Ruby Princess. The Sun Class ships felt very spacious to me. Loved the pizzeria on them.

Just don't book triple or quad balcony cabins on these ships.

Hi,

Can I ask why you advise to avoid a triple? Is it due to them being rather small? I have one booked for our upcoming cruise to Hawaii / Tahiti in September.

Thanks,

Hi,

Can I ask why you advise to avoid a triple? Is it due to them being rather small? I have one booked for our upcoming cruise to Hawaii / Tahiti in September.

Thanks,

There are pics on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058621

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934624

For some, it is not an issue. For others, they were very surprised with the configuration.

Edited by Coral

A thumbs up here as well...

*the full circuit one level promenade deck is great for walking

*pizza/Italian restaurant is great

*aft deck 16 has a bar with 180 degree views

*feels less congested

Almost forgot about the Promenade Deck. If you're a machinery geek, the Promenade's forward passage across the ship gives you a great look into the area from where the anchors and lines are deployed.

I spent more than one departure hanging out there watching the activity - that's geeky!

I personally would not enjoy the ships in that order.

I love cruising on Diamond Princess and it and its similar sister ships are great ships.

The Sun class such as the Sun, Dawn and Sea which Princess operate now are somewhat different. I have been on them but would only book them for really short cruises of no more than 5 nights. The reason being is that they are not suited for longer cruises. They are smaller and the cabins are smaller with less storage, the main theatre is smaller, the main pool decks are a lot smaller and I have never been on a Sun class ship yet where they bothered to heat the pools if it is possible. They were all freezing cold.

All the above being said I have enjoyed some short cruises on the Dawn Princess to climates where it was not necessary to use the pool at all.

If the itinerary was right then I would do the Sun class, but it would never be for a long cruise.