Cozumel Three Times in 1 Year - What would you do?

dioxide45

We have three cruises scheduled this year, each one stopping in Cozumel. We have done a beach break on a past trip and are not really interested in that. We are considering a Beach Hop for one of the stops, but not sure what to do at the others. Perhaps a Playa del Carmen self walking tour? What else, any ideas?

Snorkel from the shore at the Money Bar or take a snorkel tour with Eagle Ray or another local provider. Advantage of the Money bar is it's a short $10 cab ride, free admission, great snorkeling, plus good facilities, food, drinks, service.

PDC walking tour means you have to take the 45 minute, sometimes rough, ferry ride from Coz to PDC and back; I like PDC but there's too much to do on Coz to make that ferry trip attractive IMHO.

All-inclusive beach day at Nachi Cocom - not crowded (a break from the ship!) because they limit sales to 100 guests per day, soft beach, lots of shade, small pool, swim-up-bar, plus good food/drinks/service.

Look into a visit to Chankanaab National Marine Park. We've visited it multiple times and never get tired of it. Snorkeling is really great, the food is good, and there are many other activities. Here's what people say about it on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d185578-Reviews-Chankanaab_Park-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Bar Hop Bus, Dune Buggies, Mini-subs, Catamaran Party Sail, X-rails, are among some of the adventures we've done in Cozumel. We've also done Nachi and just wandered San Miguel as well as some snorkeling tours.

Our top three: Dune Buggies, Bar Hop Bus and Mini Subs....in that order.

Bar hop is good introduction and fun social time. Private driver is also a good option as it allows you to spend more time at the places you really like and to customize your stops and photo ops.

For somthing totally different and change of pace I would suggest cooking with Josefina, food or photo walking tour, or customized food or photo tour.

Grab a cab for the day and do an island tour. The wildside is pretty cool and you can stop anywhere. San Gervasio, Coconuts, and Chen Rio make for some good photo sessions. Plus there are several out-of-the-way bars that make for some interesting memories.

Thank you for all the ideas everyone, I appreciate it. Still not sure what we will do during each stop but these ideas have given us things to look at. We have also checked out rental car options. Any thoughts on that?

Many have successfully rented a car and typically go to the wild side...But I have also heard more than my fair share of horror stories with minor accidents. In one case, the guy was taken to jail on the spot (no injuries) and it took over a week for him to be released and fly home. Basically, a way to extort money. I'm not typically a conspiracy person or live in fear, but I have heard enough stories to keep me from considering renting a car.

I will 2nd (and 3rd) your idea and suggestion for the Cozumel Bar Hop. We have done it twice and it is a lot of fun, out of the way of most tourists. On this next trip we are going to swim with dolphins. We've done it 5 years ago in Nassau and had a great time so going again. We don't feel the need to buy pictures again, nor the longer swim with foot push etc. so it will be a fairly low cost excursion for us. (although it is worth doing all of that for the first time, for sure).

I've also been to Mr. Sancho's and Nachi. I, too, am not a huge sit on the beach all day type of person. I love the beach, but we are fair skinned, burn easily, and so we don't really "lay out" and tan. 2-3 hours is about all for us on a beach day (that said, have an air conditioned cabana in Roatan for the day, but that gives us the ability to get out of the sun for awhile and relax).

I have looked at the Amazing Race and also the Regatta. Both look like great options and I seriously considered for this trip before we decided on the dolphins. There is so much to do in Cozumel that it would be a shame to waste the day.

One of these days we'll decide on the full day tour to Tulum. I just haven't had much of an appetite for it due to the length of travel time there and back. But I would really love to see those ruins.