Oosterdam and Sea Princess are enjoying a great day in Akaroa 4 Feb

A shot of HAL's Oosterdam from the bridge cam of Sea Princess

Another busy day for Akaroa with 2 ships and 5,500 passengers in town.

28utyk4.jpg

Wow that will be crowded. There'll be a helluva queue at the fish & chip shop. We were there for the second time last November on Sea Princess but, as geocachers, we spend a lot of time away from the hordes finding little known places of interest.

A FB friend who is on the Sea Princess at the moment posted a couple of hours ago that their itinerary had been changed for the next few stops. I'm not sure why yet. The fires maybe?

This is their replacement cruise on the Sea Princess as they were supposed to be on it when it overstayed drydock. She is a little disappointed but enjoying her holiday all the same.

I believe some very bad grass fires have broken out. I heard on the news today that some homes may have been lost west of Christchurch.

Bad for Christchurch, on a day with a strong Nor West wind.

Canterbury needs rain.

A FB friend who is on the Sea Princess at the moment posted a couple of hours ago that their itinerary had been changed for the next few stops. I'm not sure why yet. The fires maybe?

This is their replacement cruise on the Sea Princess as they were supposed to be on it when it overstayed drydock. She is a little disappointed but enjoying her holiday all the same.

Such a shame their cruise is being affected as well.:D

I believe some very bad grass fires have broken out. I heard on the news today that some homes may have been lost west of Christchurch.

Terrible stuff..one home lost and and quite a few damaged, I lived in West Christchurch but not near this end..have one cousin near there, a friend near as well...looks terribly dry in the photos..

Just checked the bridge cam...(Thurs morning 5 Feb )...they were supposed to be in Port Chalmers, Dunedin , but are cruising the Marlborough Sounds heading for Picton. They must have decided to cancel Fiordland and head back up throuh Cook Straight. I didnt think the weather was that bad.:D, although they have had very strong winds.

I am currently on sea princess and it is not the fires but bad weather.. they are expecting gale force winds. they had to stop the tenders yesterday and today we are in Picton. We are sailing back to Brisbane tonight. We miss out on the Fiords.

Chez

I think it will ve a sliw trip back to Brisbane.

From the webcam , looks like they stayed in Picton overnight and had scenic cruising this morning through the Marlborough Sounds.

Dawn Princess also stayed at her berth in Wellington overnight and moved out this morning for Oosterdam to come in.

We were in Akaroa Xmas eve and went on the "Mailman Tour" to all the remote farms, villages and fishing bays and Robin the Mailman commented then how dry it was and the whole area was badly in need of rain. Having just come from Oz it didn't look too bad to us and there was still quite a bit of green about but what looks ok to us is a drought to them

It must be quite severe now especially with bush fires around

Hope all is well and not too much more property damage occurs

John

Sea princess was overnight in Picton. Left st 8am this morning heading for Brisbane. We are expecting bad weather in the next few days. Fingers crossed ut us nit too bad. Today seems nice, jyst a but cool.

chez

Hope you can avoid the worst of it.:D