Taxi fare from MIA to POM

serene56

I want to be better prepared for my taxi trip on Sunday.

I went from POM to MIA last Monday and feel I was taken advantage of.

I paid 37. and some change for the two of us. PLUS tip

does that sound about right?

Nope - should have been $25+tip; flat rate fare applies between port and airport (either direction), and the fare rules should have been posted in the cab. Leaving from an airport hotel to the port or stopping along the way takes you off the flat rate and onto the meter - sounds like neither of these apply to you.

I always use my phone to take a photo of the cab # and driver's certificate "just in case I forget something." Knowing you have them identified makes it less likely they will try to cheat you.

If you do not behave like a sheep, you are less likely to get sheared.

No way. I'm sorry he took advantage of you - *gently asks* Did you not research this here before your trip? It's discussed practically daily. :(

Nope, took it for granted that people would not take advantage of me

Coming again on Sunday and this will not happen to me again.

When i get in the cab do i tell them not to charge me the flat fee of 34.00?

under CENTRAL, second line ... then all the way to the right ....

seaport/cruise ships ... $24 flat rate

{there is some fine print that says when gas prices are HIGH, there is a $1 add-on that can kick in . . . hence why some have seen $25}

IME, the rate chart is in the taxi ... and there has usually been a sticker specifically about the port . . .

Hmm. We have taken many cabs in our time - maybe I am thinking of Long Beach, California or Fort Lauderdale..

Every cab I have taken in the US has had the fare rules posted inside (usually along with some posting of the drop fees and mileage charges on the outside). The stickers or posters are often faded and scratched and difficult to read, but most cities require that they be posted.

At Washington National (where I spend too much time) the cab expediter usually hands you a printed version as you get a cab from the line.

Edited by JohninDC

Would appreciate anyone's experience in this matter; we are going to leave our car at the POM when we embark on a TA, when we return from our trip our plane will land at MIA. My question is, we will land around 11:00 p.m. and will need to get a cab back to the POM, should we anticipate any problems getting back into the POM and retrieving our car at this late hour? Do they restrict hours in the parking garage when you can retrieve your car? Would appreciate your help in this matter, thank - you.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON ... DANGER

IME you will NOT be able to get into the port garage!

IME the port parking garages are ONLY OPEN when a ship is actively loading/unloading . . . I KNOW this to be true for Canaveral and strongly suspect for POM. Since there is no reason to park at these locations other than for a cruise, why pay attendants when there is no ship? And security is enhanced by keeping the doors locked tight . . .

I would park at MIA, or one of the MIA off sites (I've had GOOD experience with MIA off site locations probably due to the almost constant presence of folks in and out)

So park at MIA, take a taxi to the port for the cruise. Off sites, or even the airport's own parking does not ask to see your plane ticket . . . When you return ... NO PROBLEM . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

:D

IME the port parking garages are ONLY OPEN when a ship is actively loading/unloading . . . I KNOW this to be true for Canaveral and strongly suspect for POM. Since there is no reason to park at these locations other than for a cruise, why pay attendants when there is no ship? And security is enhanced by keeping the doors locked tight . . .

I would park at MIA, or one of the MIA off sites (I've had GOOD experience with MIA off site locations probably due to the almost constant presence of folks in and out)

So park at MIA, take a taxi to the port for the cruise. Off sites, or even the airport's own parking does not ask to see your plane ticket . . . When you return ... NO PROBLEM . . .[/quote

Appreciated your response, I guess we now look at dropping off a rental near POM then either taking a shuttle (if available) or cab back to POM. Any advice which rental company you would use that is the nearest to POM?

:D

So park at MIA, take a taxi to the port for the cruise. Off sites, or even the airport's own parking does not ask to see your plane ticket . . . When you return ... NO PROBLEM . . .[/quote

Appreciated your response, I guess we now look at dropping off a rental near POM then either taking a shuttle (if available) or cab back to POM. Any advice which rental company you would use that is the nearest to POM?

National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from their MIA airport location. Hertz does the same from their downtown location but are often swamped with cruise customers. Avis and Budget are downtown and about a $10-12 cab ride from the port.

Edited by JohninDC