Fondue

melissa

The Fondue Dispensary offers a variety of cheese fondues like classic Swiss with white wine, German cheddar with beer and a French cheese with Champagne. Other Swiss, German and Austrian specialties round out the menu. Both are sit-down venues with table service, but neither has a set number of seats, as they are areas within the Horizon Court, rather than restaurants in themselves. A spokeswoman for Princess said: "We are currently hosting various sized groups to confirm the best capacity." Walk-ins are welcome, but reservations are recommended. Each has a $20 cover charge.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=400&pgtype=dining

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the menu off of Vickie & Bernie's Travel blog (they're on the Royal right now). It looks great and they really enjoyed it! :)

STARTERS

CHARCUTERIE PLATTER

Lean air-dried Swiss beef, black forest ham and speck served with petite cornichons, pearl onions and crusty bread

GERMAN POTATO PANCAKE WITH CURED SALMON*

Served with horseradish cream, dill & chives; a staple feature in many German, Austrian and Swiss restaurants

CHOPPED SALAD

Romaine and iceberg lettuces, tomatoes, kalamata olives, garbanzo beans and red onion tossed with honey-mustard vinaigrette

ENTREES

SWISS CHEESE FONDUE

Gruyère and emmental cheese, white wine and kirschwasser with crusty bread to dunk in. When the fondue is almost finished, a brown crust will form on the bottom of the pot. Do not let it burn; loosen the crust and give it to the honored guest

CHAMPAGNE CHEESE FONDUE

This special champagne fondue has wonderful flavors of Swiss cheese and honey. It clings well to chicken morsels and baguette dippers

BAVARIAN CHEDDAR CHEESE & BEER FONDUE

Sharp cheddar cheese and pilsner beer with bratwurst and rye bread morsels

DESSERTS

CHOCOLATE FONDUE

The chocolate and cream mixture makes it superb served with choux puffs marshmallows, strawberries and pineapple

VIENNESE APPLE STRUDEL

Delicate layers of filo dough filled with a sweet & tart apple mixture, raisins and nuts, served with vanilla sauce and whipping cream

MANDEL KNUSPERGEBÄCK

Traditional, light, and not overly sweet orange infused almond crisps

$20 Cover Charge per Person

Guten Appetit – En Guete – Bon Appetit – Buon Appetito

Here is a review and some pictures I took at Fondues aboard Royal Princess. I ate there as a solo, so the portions sizes reflect that:

Fondues was an interesting 90 minute experience. After a very nice appetizer of German Potato Pancakes with cured salmon came the 'main course' Champagne and Swiss Cheese fondue with chicken, bratwurst, and baguette dippers, followed by a 'desert' of Chocolate Fondue with choux puffs, strawberries, marshmallows, and pineapple. Included was a large shot of (very strong) Kirschwasser cherry brandy. It was all very filling.

11262218625_0d1d0becb5_c.jpg

11262218575_7af5be914d_c.jpg

11262219195_98e2d490b5_c.jpg

11262218825_a5eb9b7da4_c.jpg

11262219205_4e035c1fc9_c.jpg

11262219215_95d2683277_c.jpg

• 7 months later...

I've resurrected this older thread rather than start a new one about Fondues on the Royal Princess. I will be on the Royal soon and just noticed this specialty restaurant. After seeing the wonderful pictures I think I may have to try this. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and what choices you made from the menu? I see there are three entrees. I was leaning towards the Cheddar, but now that I see the pictures I'm not sure. Anyway, just looking for other reports and experiences. Thanks.

Wow! Whilst it looks like fun, I wonder who decided to have a restaurant with naked flames burning on each table ... on a ship, where fire is always the biggest fear ...

I'm sure there are plenty of extinguishers around, but it doesn't seem like the choice their insurers would have chosen.

Edited by jollyjones

Wow! Whilst it looks like fun, I wonder who decided to have a restaurant with naked flames burning on each table ... on a ship, where fire is always the biggest fear ...

I'm sure there are plenty of extinguishers around, but it doesn't seem like the choice their insurers would have chosen.

That was my first thought as soon as I saw the burner. I'm curious as to what safety features may be built in. Things like a float to cut off the fuel if it is tipped over?

Even so, an errant napkin across that flame could be a problem ...

There's a restaurant chain here in the States which uses electric heating elements built into the table to heat the fondue. That might be a little harder logistically in a temporary location like Horizon Court but it would certainly be safer.

The fondue is brought to the table hot so it is a matter of keeping it warm. The holder for the fondue pot appears to be rather substantial and most likely on the heavier side. The unit is one piece and the pot holder is large keeping most items away from the flame. The flame appears to be similar to a small candle like a votive type. While it indeed has an open flame, I would guess that it presents minimal risk. I would also hope it is closely watched by the staff for any problems. I doubt this set up would even compare with what it used on land.

We dined at Fondues in August on the Royal.

The night we chose was formal night and mostly decided on this after not being able to get a table at the Crown Grill. We chose to dress up still even thought it was in Horizon Court. Glad we did as others were dressed too.

We ordered salads which was a mistake (too much food.) The Maitre d' Franco seemed to take a liking to us on previous visits to the buffet so he encouraged us to order all 3 of the cheeses. So we ordered all 3 entrées for just the 2 of us. It was a lot of cheese but was a good way to try each. All were good for different reasons. The bread is the best with all 3 of them. The chicken and sausage were only ok but not enough cheese absorption to really give them much flavor. They will bring you as much bread and meats as you need but I assume we had ordered the limit on cheese.

The chocolate dipping dessert was the best chocolate I had on the ship. For some reason I'm not a fan of the Norman Love Chocolate Experience. The NL chocolate felt muted and more sugar than chocolate on the 4 special desserts we tried. The dipping items for the fondue were good but maybe a bit small in size. Tiny cut up pieces of strawberry, would have rather had a whole one. Not a big deal though, either way they cut it up we were full.

Having "open" flames on a cruise ship was interesting. We did seem to get burners that were low on oil and they had to keep switching them out and relighting. The crew did a good job of keeping a watchful eye on the flame level and it was in a cordoned off area of the HC so it seemed manageable.

It was a fun novel experience!

• 4 weeks later...
Fondue? I prefer fondon't. One of the greatest historical contributors to the control of the spread of disease is avoidance of shared pots.

I would only share with family.

We like to go to The Melting Pot in Denver and we will share with close friends, but one does not eat directly from the dipping fork then. With our family if 3 we do eat off the fork for cheese and dessert, but not when we cook our meats in the hot oil (but the ship doesn't give you raw meat to cook, so that is a moot point.)