Another Question about passports and documents

funat55

My daughter got married recently and her passport is in her old name. What other documents will she need to link her identity, marriage license, birth certificate??? Reservation was made in her new married name.

If she intends to use her passport, or is required to because of the itinerary, the name on her reservation must match the name on her passport. She should either get her passport changed to match her new name prior to taking the cruise, or change the cruise reservation to reflect the name on her passport. You can't show a marriage license as a bridge document for a passport.

However if she can per the cruise itinerary and is willing to use a birth certificate and drivers license as proof of citizenship and ID, and her drivers license is in the same name as her reservation, then she can use the marriage license as a bridge document. If she's going to do that, it would still be best for her to also take her passport, just in case she encounters a situation where she has to take an international flight home prior to the end of the cruise. She would just have to remember to use the name on her passport when buying the airline ticket.

Edited by njhorseman

My daughter got married recently and her passport is in her old name. What other documents will she need to link her identity, marriage license, birth certificate??? Reservation was made in her new married name.

We recently changed lastname but since we didn't have time to update credit cards and passports before our trip to US and the cruise, we travelled with old passports with the old names. As njhorseman said, reservations/ait tickets/etc and passport must match.

Edited by Demonyte

on my honeymoon cruise everything had to be my maidan name because there wasn't time to get new documents in the time between the wedding and sail. So my sail card was also in my maidan name and the only thing I could have in my new married name was if I put my name into one of the game shows, and a few employees called Mrs. Newname. Otherwise according to NCL at that time I was my former name.

Ok her reservation is in her new name and her drivers license is in her new name. Passport is in her old name. We cruise in April so not sure if there is time to get new passport. To complicate things even more, her birth certificate is in yet another name. I got remarried when she was very young and we did a name change. She was born Mary Jones but name was legally changed to Mary Smith. Then she got married and it changed to Mary Dunn. She got married again and now her name is Mary Cary. Passport is under Mary Dunn.

She has her old drivers licenses. Does this make any difference?

Ok her reservation is in her new name and her drivers license is in her new name. Passport is in her old name. We cruise in April so not sure if there is time to get new passport. To complicate things even more, her birth certificate is in yet another name. I got remarried when she was very young and we did a name change. She was born Mary Jones but name was legally changed to Mary Smith. Then she got married and it changed to Mary Dunn. She got married again and now her name is Mary Cary. Passport is under Mary Dunn.

You have at least 6 weeks to get a new passport. That is more than enough time. Under the circumstances that you describe the easiest thing to do is get a new passport.

If it were me, I would call NCL and change the reservation to match the name on the passport. That should not be a problem as long as one of the original names on the reservation stays the same. Then when she gets home she can get a new passport. It is just way simpler and less stressful that way! Although there is probably also time to update her passport before the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well actually you can get a new passport the same day if you live near a U.S. passport office. You have to go in person with documents showing upcoming trip...be aware their is an extensive up charge for the service. But for last minute service maybe worth it. Check US Passport website.

I would do one of two things- change the reservation to match the passport or apply for a corrected passport (which I believe can be done through the mail and can be expedited, althouth there is time for normal processing unless they need extra documentation).

Just book the flights in the name that is currently on the passport. This has no bearing on what name a cruise is booked under. If you have a passport and it matches your flight info, you do not need to show any other ID.

Book the cruise under whatever name is on the driver's license which will be presented at sign in along with a birth certificate. Do not list passport info on the reservation. Very few women will have birth certificates with last names which match their DLs. Back in the days before I had a passport, I used to cruise with a birth certificate and driver's license which had my married name. The birth certificate obviously has my maiden name. No one ever asked to see a marriage license and I've never heard of anyone else being asked for this either. As long as the reservation and DL are in the same name you are good to go. Birth dates on the documents will match.

Or just change the name on the cruise reservation back to the maiden name and she can use the passport for ID for flight and cruise.

Edited by punkincc

Very few women will have birth certificates with last names which match their DLs. Back in the days before I had a passport, I used to cruise with a birth certificate and driver's license which had my married name. The birth certificate obviously has my maiden name. No one ever asked to see a marriage license and I've never heard of anyone else being asked for this either.

each time i have cruised with CCL and RCL, i have been asked to provide my marriage certificate along with my birth certificate and drivers license. perhaps it varies from port to port (i've only sailed out of port canaveral) or cruise line, but if your birth certificate name does not match the name on your government issued photo ID, you will need a bridge document.

each time i have cruised with CCL and RCL, i have been asked to provide my marriage certificate along with my birth certificate and drivers license. perhaps it varies from port to port (i've only sailed out of port canaveral) or cruise line, but if your birth certificate name does not match the name on your government issued photo ID, you will need a bridge document.

Maybe things have changed since 9-11. Not sure how long I have had my passport. I know I have never shown a marriage cert. But, in any case, I'm sure she has her marriage certificate and can take it along if she decides to use a birth certificate for the cruise.

We've sailed NCL and CCL out of Boston, Miami, Baltimore and NYC and have never had to produce the marriage license (which we always carried, JIC). We were asked at check in at the Baltimore port if we had it, but the lady said that our answer wouldn't affect anything. CBP has never asked anything about the marriage license.

We've sailed NCL and CCL out of Boston, Miami, Baltimore and NYC and have never had to produce the marriage license (which we always carried, JIC). We were asked at check in at the Baltimore port if we had it, but the lady said that our answer wouldn't affect anything. CBP has never asked anything about the marriage license.

FYI, Royal Caribbean, at least in the past, has had a policy of requiring a bridge document (such as marriage license).

If she cruises in April she definitely has time to get a new passport. She should expedite it for peace of mind, but this is the time to do it. Before summer vacations and after the holidays. It won't take very long to get it back.

That being said I've been married almost 16 years, my name is hyphenated. I keep saying I'll change my passport to my married name but I've left it like it is (just maiden) because...well no because. If I stop booking trips in my maiden name maybe I'll give myself time to update my passport. :p

I hope that your daughter and new hubby have a nice trip. :)

You don't need to when the names on the reservation and the passport match, this issue often arises with new brides who decide to change their names, and don't think through all of the paperwork involved.

Wow, so much good information. Thank you everyone. Probably the most sure thing will be to get a new passport with her married name. Her drivers license is already in her new name and so is the reservation. By the way, she works for the sheriffs dept. and has picture ID from them if that helps. This is a closed loop cruise sailing out of Miami also if this makes a difference.

My opinion? Just have her get a new passport. That's the simplest way to be sure there will be no issues, especially considering the number of name changes on her documents. We just had to renew my husband's passport, and it arrived in 3 weeks, even without being expedited. Have hers expedited to be sure.

By the way, she works for the sheriffs dept. and has picture ID from them if that helps.

That has nothing to do with a passport. Also, I'm not sure if you are suggesting she use her sheriffs dept photo for the passport, but just make sure it follows the passport photo requirements; they're fairly specific. If it were me, I'd just get a passport photo taken; many pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens do this for a nominal fee.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer