Questions About Tahiti Arrival and Cruise

plantlady104

I am considering an Oceania Tahiti cruise in 2016, but had a few questions, which could not find answer to. Would appreciate any input and thanks ahead of time.

Q1. Want to add a pre-cruise hotel stay, Oceania website seemed to quote a higher price for the InterContinental Hotel vs the hotel website. Is there any advantage (e.g.: airline scheduling) to add on the hotel via Oceania?

Q2. Related to Q1, if add on hotel via Oceania, will they schedule the air travel to arrive earlier to stay at hotel, or do I need to pay the Deviation Fee to accomplish earlier arrival vs arriving the day of cruise.

Q3. Are the Oceania transfers only for airport to/from cruise pier, or will include from airport to hotel and then later to cruise pier?

Q4. Do not normally use a TA and have had great success dealing directly online with cruise companies or other online travel. Is the Oceania online website reservation system and/or calling Oceania travel rep to arrange the cruise specifics accurate and effective vs having to use a third party TA?

I am considering an Oceania Tahiti cruise in 2016, but had a few questions, which could not find answer to. Would appreciate any input and thanks ahead of time.

Q1. Want to add a pre-cruise hotel stay, Oceania website seemed to quote a higher price for the InterContinental Hotel vs the hotel website. Is there any advantage (e.g.: airline scheduling) to add on the hotel via Oceania?

Just one comment

I would check the prices of the hotel add the deviation fee & taxis then compare to the package prices from Oceania

Usually if you book their hotel package it is PP rates

The transfers are usually from the airport to hotel then hotel to ship

Do your sums before you commit ;)

Edited by LHT28

If you wish to arrive earlier, you either need to book the air yourself or get a deviation.

The hotels booked on your own will be much cheaper (generally speaking) as O charges per person (even when you add your own transfers)

With a good TA you will pay less for your cruise (either receive a "rebate" or OBC) and dealing with your TA is much easier than with O directly.

Caveat - provided that you book with a good TA and one that deals with O a lot.

In addition, such a TA will be able to help you with all your questions re: cruise to FP.

Edited by Paulchili

Q2. Related to Q1, if add on hotel via Oceania, will they schedule the air travel to arrive earlier to stay at hotel, or do I need to pay the Deviation Fee to accomplish earlier arrival vs arriving the day of cruise.

Q3. Are the Oceania transfers only for airport to/from cruise pier, or will include from airport to hotel and then later to cruise pier?

Q4. Do not normally use a TA and have had great success dealing directly online with cruise companies or other online travel. Is the Oceania online website reservation system and/or calling Oceania travel rep to arrange the cruise specifics accurate and effective vs having to use a third party TA?

My experience last March on my FP Marina cruise:

1- There usually is and big advantage to booking your own pre/post cruise arrangements. With this itinerary O offers pre cruise packages, inquire and compare.

2- O packages (without deviation) can vary, you fly their charters, arriving a day or two before. There are different packages. These are EXPENSIVE add ons..do the math. If you prefer a longer pre cruise (staying on Moorea) pay the deviation.

3- If you buy the O Hotel package, the transfers are included.

4- I recommend using a TA. I have received perks from my travel agent along with promotions offered by O. He also negotiated my deviation flights & booked my seats etc...I actually got rare daytime flights from LAX-PPT & LAX-PPT

** I found the charter flights that O included were not ideal (connections & delays) I paid the deviation and chose the flights I wanted, arriving 4 days pre-cruise. I paid for my own transfers & shopped online for discounts for both the IC & Hilton Moorea. I DEFINITELY came out ahead.

** Join your RCall and also read as many posts as you can with similar itineraries.

** Book your own excursions (I had some booked 1yr in advance) they are less expensive than O.

You will love FP. Bon Voyage

IF YOU NEED MORE INFO CLICK HERE

Recently I got an email for a $99 hotel add on for Tahiti cruises on O, can't remember the details and can't find the email now, it also included transfers. I thought it looked like a great deal and hope they offer it on our sailing into Papeete in 2016. I believe it was for the Intercontinental.

I have done what you are contemplating for the upcoming Tahiti to Lima cruise in April. I booked our own resort (on Moorea), I expect for much less money than O charges. I looked at the Intercontinental in Papeete, but it didn't have very good reviews so I avoided it.

I used O's air and paid for the deviation, mainly because the cost of booking one way fares to Tahiti and from Lima on my own was prohibitive. O was able to arrange the flights with no increase in cost other than the deviation fee. Having said that, O was extremely difficult to deal with for the air arrangements, bordering on incompetent. My frustration with them is enough that I will think very hard before booking another cruise with O. We'll see how they do in April.

I did not ask about transfers, just assumed we would be on our own.

I have done what you are contemplating for the upcoming Tahiti to Lima cruise in April. I booked our own resort (on Moorea), I expect for much less money than O charges. I looked at the Intercontinental in Papeete, but it didn't have very good reviews so I avoided it.

I used O's air and paid for the deviation, mainly because the cost of booking one way fares to Tahiti and from Lima on my own was prohibitive. O was able to arrange the flights with no increase in cost other than the deviation fee. Having said that, O was extremely difficult to deal with for the air arrangements, bordering on incompetent. My frustration with them is enough that I will think very hard before booking another cruise with O. We'll see how they do in April.

I did not ask about transfers, just assumed we would be on our own.

I recommend that you use a TA for future cruises & you will also get some perks thrown in. You will completely avoid the frustrations that you encountered. When using a TA you never have to deal with O directly. Good luck.

Edited by canuck.qc

The others who have replied to your post offer great advice. Use a TA, especially on an odd one-way ticket itinerary; book your own hotel; taxis are relatively cheap; get off Tahiti island asap; the Moorea ferry is quick, convenient and usually on time.

This is an alternate suggestion. I am trying the Marina for the first time so that I can make a direct comparison, but if you are truly interested in French Polynesia, check out the Paul Gauguin. It seems pricier when you look at the fares compared to Oceania, but the PG is completely all-inclusive. No envelopes. No signing tickets. No pressure from staff to buy, buy, buy. The only things they will charge you for are spa visits, shore excursions and shops. Unlimited beverages, truly great food, and 330 guests (compared to the 1000+) with a 1.15:1 staff to guest ratio. We've sailed on her four times now if that tells you anything about how much we enjoyed the PG.

I recommend that you use a TA for future cruises & you will also get some perks thrown in. You will completely avoid the frustrations that you encountered. When using a TA you never have to deal with O directly. Good luck.

I did use a TA, a highly capable one who spent much of her career working for one of the major airlines, booking travel for cruise lines. Between the two of us we were able to sort out O's mess.

The problem was with O's air people, not the TA (or lack thereof).

I did use a TA, a highly capable one who spent much of her career working for one of the major airlines, booking travel for cruise lines. Between the two of us we were able to sort out O's mess.

The problem was with O's air people, not the TA (or lack thereof).

A TA could have 50 years experience but if that experience does not include booking numerous cruises on Oceania, they will be less helpful than a TA that regularly books Oceania and has a contact that can "sort out" a mess with just a phone call:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Truly amazing how people can continually post suggestions to people having various issues with cruise lines that a new TA will solve all that is wrong without having a clue what the problem is.

Agree that a good TA is worthwhile, especially one who provides significant extras, significant rebates and great customer service but, they are NOT the answer for all issues. There are times where the cruise line is causing the issue and refuses to budge no matter how many "contacts" are known.

Yes, there are times when that special "contact" can solve the issue however, why should we need to solve issues that should not exist in the first place?? We all pay large sums of money to Luxury and Near-Luxury Cruise lines and those cruise lines need to provide the commensurate amount of customer service no matter who is asking and provide what they promise negating the need for the "contact".

There are times where the cruise line is causing the issue and refuses to budge no matter how many "contacts" are known.

Or perhaps the cruise line is telling the customer what he doesn't want to hear, which might be the policy that every other customer they have understands and abides by.

I think perhaps many "problems" we hear about here might fall under the above.

Or perhaps the cruise line is telling the customer what he doesn't want to hear, which might be the policy that every other customer they have understands and abides by.

I think perhaps many "problems" we hear about here might fall under the above.

You may very well be correct ORV but, that doesn't solve the posters who jump to blaming the TA and suggesting a new one with "contacts" will somehow solve all problems when the suggester has no idea if the problem is as you say or is a real problem.

You may very well be correct ORV but, that doesn't solve the posters who jump to blaming the TA and suggesting a new one with "contacts" will somehow solve all problems when the suggester has no idea if the problem is as you say or is a real problem.

I have to disagree, Dave.

Blaming the Cruise Line is an old Travel Agent dodge.

In short, an Agent that knows his or her way around the block doesn't tell need to tell the Client about the problems in a booking......they spend their time more productively making those problems go away. ;)

THAT is why a really good agent is worth those big commissions.

In most cases, the Client does not even need to know that there was a problem.

Having the right Agent can make for a wonderful, effortless transaction. All ease and enjoyment.....you should try it!

Edited by StanandJim

• 2 weeks later...