MDR dinner on the Explorer

joybaby

Reading mixed reviews on the food in the dining room on the Explorer. I am an easy to please person and like most foods, and I know some people really bash cruise food.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sailing Feb. 21, 2015.

Thanks, Joybaby

On our November cruises on Explorer, lunch desserts were the best of all, and some of the lunch entrées were superior to the dinner entrees, perhaps due to being cooked in smaller quantities and a la minute.

As for dinner itself, we experienced temperature issues with the food fairly often, usually at least once each meal. For instance, chilled soups or cold desserts were not cold, or dishes that should have been hot, like the seared scallops appetizer, were barely warm. It didn't matter for some things, but for others, particularly the chilled soups, it was very unpleasant.

Service seemed quite disorganized as compared to previous cruises, and though our waiter was outstanding, our assistant waiters didn't seem to be on top of things. In particular, on the second leg of our B2B, the (new) assistant waiter never remembered certain things that we requested over and over, such as milk for tea or cream for coffee to go with dessert.

But, we got fed each night and generally left happy, and it was still better than cooking dinner for ourselves.

On Explorer's repo cruise in November, we thought the MDR's food was great. We had dinner there each night and ate most of our breakfasts there as well as we found the food hotter there than in the Windjammer (plus we didn't have to try to find seating for all of us).

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the 2/12 sailing and thought the MDR food was very good, much better than last time we cruised Royal. There was a big selection of menu items to choose from. We had MyTime dining and ate on the early side, no temperature problems with our food. Our waiter, assistant waiter, and bar server were all great and made our dinners very enjoyable.

We just got off the 2/12 sailing and thought the MDR food was very good, much better than last time we cruised Royal. There was a big selection of menu items to choose from. We had MyTime dining and ate on the early side, no temperature problems with our food. Our waiter, assistant waiter, and bar server were all great and made our dinners very enjoyable.

We were on the Explorer in November and thought the MDR food was better than any other RCI ship in recent memory. Fantastic crew and service as well!

I agree with you. We were on the same sailing. We had My timedinning around 6:30 and no wait and food service was fast. You have to be a really picky diner not to find something you like in the Windjammer. What a great variety. I never care for RC dessers as much as Carnival but Explorer usually had something I liked.

The MDR food on the Explorer is faaaar from my favorite ship cuisine. However there was always something that was good to very good and I did not lose weight (dammit) on my last Explorer cruise. If you're not picky and enjoy most foods as you said, I don't think there are many cruise ships afloat where you'd have an issue. You'll be absolutely fine and since you can order something else if your initial request isn't to your liking, you won't have any problem.

I agree with you. We were on the same sailing. We had My timedinning around 6:30 and no wait and food service was fast. You have to be a really picky diner not to find something you like in the Windjammer. What a great variety. I never care for RC dessers as much as Carnival but Explorer usually had something I liked.

Ditto I was on the Same sailing 2.12 and the MDR food was excellent with even better service. The Windjammer was pretty good as well and seemed to have a good mix of different choices every day. I wish though people would learn not to leave the food tongs under the heat lamps!! :mad:

I was very happy with Explorer's food last October. I like a sit down meal with a waitstaff (things not usually eaten at home--duck--lamb (no sandwiches/burgers) so ate in the dining room at lunch and supper. Breakfast was in whatever specialty restaurant had it (maybe Portofino's). I did not eat in the specialty restaurants this go round. Not a dessert person at all. Love savory bites.

Edited by parrotfeathers