Speciality Restaurants

yorky

Hi all, on Celebrity for the first time in November and looking at our options. There seems to be a fair bit of discussion on the quality of food In the main dining room and as such we are considering the other options available. On our cruise on the QM2 we found the food in the main Brittania restaurant to be pretty poor and ended up paying the extra £20 pp to eat in Tood English a few nights, we loved it.

Obvious option for us would be the 5 night package at £95pp so £19pp per meal. Two nights in Tuscan Grill, Two in Quasi, and one in Merano. We both love steak, Seafood, and oriental food so a no brainer or not much of an upgrade.

Many thanks for any opinions.

First, Welcome to Celebrity!

We have sailed with X since 1994 and found the meals in the MDR to be very good. Now that does not mean there has not been a bit of slippage over the years. Last Nov we sailed an 11 day and because we had such a large Roll Call we did 5 dinners in Speciality and 6 in the MDR. Only 1 of the 6 was a bland so-so kind of meal.

The 5 night pkg is a great option.

Hi all, on Celebrity for the first time in November and looking at our options. There seems to be a fair bit of discussion on the quality of food In the main dining room and as such we are considering the other options available. On our cruise on the QM2 we found the food in the main Brittania restaurant to be pretty poor and ended up paying the extra £20 pp to eat in Tood English a few nights, we loved it.

Obvious option for us would be the 5 night package at £95pp so £19pp per meal. Two nights in Tuscan Grill, Two in Quasi, and one in Merano. We both love steak, Seafood, and oriental food so a no brainer or not much of an upgrade.

Remember, food is subjective. I think you should try the MDR...also remembering that dinner is a combination of the food, the other guests at your table and the environment. If you find it lacking or if you want to experience the specialty restaurants, you should be able to book them on board...often at discount prices. I'd encourage you to try each specialty restaurant once and then decide what works the best for you....

Edited by ghstudio

Thanks folks, we do enjoy the company of other guests that's for sure, we are on the 13 night cruise so it's a mix of both if we go this way, the reviews of those speciality restaurants is very tempting and in all honestly I think the price in advance is pretty decent. I see one of the supplements has just gone up from 45 to 50 Dollars so I'm guessing the package price may also go up.

Was on the Eclipse in January for two weeks. The food in the main diningroom was fine. However, we enjoyed dining in Bistro on Five, Qsine, Tuscan Grill and Murano's. It worked out for us to dine in each speciality restaurant twice for dinner. Except Bistro, which we dined in only once. I highly recommend that you try each speciality restaurant, however the mdr is also good.

On the Silhouette and Reflection, we also enjoy the Lawn Grill for dinner.

We are sailing on the Quantum in a few weeks, I am also concerned about the quality of the food in the no fee dining rooms- have heard mixed reviews. We will dine in a couple of the speciality restaurants and dine in the no-fee restaurants also. Since food taste is personal, I will reserve my opinion until after that cruise!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

I´ve read those threads about the food on the Celebrity Eclipse and having been on the same cruise as Cruise a holic I can only say do not believe in those threads!! Food in the Main Dining Room was really good. I also had dinner in Tuscan Grille (good, but the menu was not my cup of tea - I prefer Giovanni´s Table and Chops Grille with RCI over Tuscan Grille), Qsine (nice, but all meats and seafood was overcooked) and Murano (absolutely the highlight of our cruise!). I didn´t go to Bistro on 5. Been there before but again it´s not my cup of tea.

steamboats

BTW: On a German website I read a review of the same cruise which stated food was absolutely without any taste. Hmm, must have been on another ship...

We've always just considered eating in the specialties a part of the entire cruise experience.

Typically we eat at Bistro on Five upon embarkation to avoid the madness up at the buffet.

The first night we generally eat at Tuscan Grill and on a 2 week cruise likely we'll eat there 3 times. It's our favorite. By far.

Qsine - well if we're on a ship that has it we might eat there once but the charm has worn off after 3 or 4 times and if you're not with a group it's not as much fun to share all the small plates.

Murano is wonderful albeit a bit stuffy, formal and way too rich. I have to work hard not to eat all the richest foods there so I don't come out feeling ridiculously full.

Silk Harvest is nice and we'll eat there once or twice on a two week cruise.

We haven't sailed with a Lawn Club Grill or The Porch so can't speak to them although I know we'd love them, from what I've heard and read.

We have been eating in Blu the last 5 or 6 cruises and our next cruise we

will be in the new suite restaurant and I'm very excited to experience that.

Not sure we'd ever opt for the $29 a day only eating in the specialties, though.

If you haven't done the main dining room, why not try it?

I see you are from Glasslowflaningeese where my family was tossed out of in the 1700's

My advise is to

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

The MDR is really good, Blu better, and there will be deals offered once aboard.

I'm almost embarrassed to sign my name..... :D

Donald (where the hell are my trousers anyway?)

edit, do I have to come over there and smack you?

Edited by A Sixth?