Money belt or Hidden Pocket

Nana57

What do you bring to keep your passport, cc, euros, etc. safe during your land portion of your trip? Staying in Rome for a few days. Heard safes aren't that safe, to carry everything with you. What do you do? Husband uses a belt with his pants. So it has to go inside. He carries a packpack with water, sweatshirts, maps, camera, etc. I wear my tops outside my pants so I can cover up the money belt with my top.

When we are traveling in Europe (Rome or anywhere) and staying in a hotel our Passports are securely locked in the hotel's safe (not in a cheap room safe). But if you do want to carry those valuable documents you can buy small Passport holders with neck straps that you simply wear around your neck and keep tucked under your shirt. They are sold at lots of travel/luggage shops or online at places like Amazon.

As to carrying cash/credit cards, I learned a simple trick from a retired US Secret Service Agent (who we befriended on a European river cruise). I keep my wallet in my front pocket which I always secure with a large safety/diaper pin. The Pin makes it impossible for the wallet (or just cash) to fall out and makes it extremely difficult for anyone to pick my pocket. This is certainly not 100%...but it has served me well for over the past 20 years in areas where pickpockets/purse snatchers were very active.

Otherwise, one should consider some kind of moneybelt or neck-worn carrier that can be kept under one's shirt/blouse. The use of "fanny" or "bum" packs is no longer considered very safe although some travel shops sell those things with a cut-proof strap (it has a metal cable inside).

Hank

My 2nd trip to Europe was going to be 18 days train travel around Belgium, Luxembourg & Holland, long before 9/11 tightened security. We purchased Rick Steve's money belts. Upon landing in Frankfurt airport transferring to another flight to Belgium, we had to go through a Security line again. The lady actually put her hands around my waist, grabbing the money belt, and asking me in a very loud voice, what this was. I answered discretely that it was my money belt. She then announced in a voice that could be heard in the whole darn airport, "YOUR MONEYBELT?", then taking me to the side to actually see it and search me. So much for secrecy of hidden money.

Since that time, I no longer wear a money belt. I carry my money in my purse with a long shoulder strap to wear across my body. I have a wallet for day use and a HAL document folder for my passport, travel documents and extra money. Not saying something couldn't happen, but in over 30 years of travel, I've never been pick pocketed nor robbed.

If traveling with my husband, we split the money between us. If traveling with my friend, we each have our own money.

Not to say I haven't been taken advantage of, I have sucker written on my forehead. In Holland I was approached by a young man asking for coins for the pay phones, I gave him a couple. We continued walking, about an hour later, I was approached again asking for coins, I again gave the young man a couple of coins. After continuing on, my friend asked if I realized it was the same young man. Ha Ha Ha foolish me.

Then in Rome, I was approached by a man with flowers. He handed me two roses saying "these are for you". I made the mistake of accepting them, then he asked for 10 EURO, I refused and he wouldn't take the flowers back, I thought of just dropping the flowers, but didn't know what the man would do, so I gave him 5 EURO and continued on our way. Ended up throwing the flowers away.

My first trip to Italy in 1988, we were required to leave our passports at the hotel desk for the duration of our stay. In 2008 they took the numbers down, but returned our passports, so I carry my passport with me now. Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with concerning their money, passports and travel documents.

I'd trust a hotel safe over carrying things with me. I guess it's a case of "once bitten, twice shy", as I was pickpocketed in Barcelona -- the pickpockets took my wallet out of a zipped bag carried under my arm without my knowledge.

If you do carry your valuables, make sure they are inaccessible. Thieves in Europe are more likely to be stealth operators rather than muggers. In other words, they will sneakily remove your valuables rather than stop you with a gun and ask for them. To that end, the more difficult you can make the access to these items, the better the chances that you won't find they have gone missing...

one thing I always do is carry a photocopy of my passport. just in case your passport 'goes missing' it makes things go quicker at the embassy and police.

I scan a copy and email it to myself. I can then access it from virtually anywhere if needed, without risk of carrying it.

I keep my passport in the hotel safe and carry a copy with me. I'm a diy traveller so my cash needs are few; as I need money I withdraw 150E or so from an ATM.

I have always travelled with a small daypack which I wear on my shoulder not my back. My wallet sits on the bottom of the pack covered by a poncho, sweater, camera, travel guide, snacks, etc. It would be noticable to me if someone unzipped the bag then dug around for awhile to find the wallet.

I stay aware of my surroundings when I travel, especially in crowded places like transit stations and shops. In those environments I wear the pack on my front or it sits on my lap. It's worked successfully for 30+ years.

I think the key is to be alert and aware. There are usually enough easy targets around for pickpockets. In Greece, Spain and Portugal where pickpockets are plentiful I'm always amazed to see men walking around with large wallets in their back pockets, or women busy taking photos with their large purse wide open on the seat next to them and a fat wallet sitting on top.

My daughter lived in Italy for three years, never did anything special to protect her valuables, and never had a problem. So, she laughed at me when I would visit her for months because I wore a money belt under my pants. It gave me tremendous peace of mind. I kept my passport, credit cards, and most of my money in the belt and carried a small amount of cash in a small cross-body purse. When I needed a credit card or more cash, I found a discreet place to remove it. So easy and so secure.

My passport & one credit card are always in the safe... I wear a silk neck pouch under my shirt with an ATM card & any big bills, I keep a smaller amount of Euros or other local currency in my cross body bag, with the zipper attached to the strap by a small carabiner, & the cash in an inside zip pocket, DH does the same thing, & yes, he wears a small cross body bag :)

I have been to Rome twice and been pickpocketed both times. Last time they unzipped my fanny pack which was in front of me and took my cell phone. I haven't had a problem anywhere else..so far. I was at the Metro watching for my stop and holding on. I would not recommend fanny packs for valuables. I have left my luggage in the storage rooms at hotels and they have been fine. Now I carry my passport under my clothes.

I have been to Rome twice and been pickpocketed both times. Last time they unzipped my fanny pack which was in front of me and took my cell phone. I haven't had a problem anywhere else..so far. I was at the Metro watching for my stop and holding on. I would not recommend fanny packs for valuables. I have left my luggage in the storage rooms at hotels and they have been fine. Now I carry my passport under my clothes.

As I mentioned in my other post, fanny packs (bum packs for Brits) is a real no no for travelers. They tell a professional pick pocket 2 things, 1. Where you keep your valuables and 2. You are naïve about pick pockets. Back packs are not much better. Although we have no problem leaving luggage in storage rooms at hotels we would not consider leaving anything valuable in that luggage. If storing stuff at a hotel we always go over to the front desk and request a safe deposit box (some hotels use envelopes) where we securely store are most valuable items (like Passports and jewelry).

Hank

If carrying my passport, I put it in a zipped interior pocket in my backpack and put a lock on the exterior of the backpack. Yes, it can be a pain each time I need to retrieve my passport, but I deal with it.

Cash and credit cards go in a Pacsafe wallet:

http://www.pacsafe.com/walletsafe-100-tri-fold-travel-wallet-3.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

i too am a huge fan of Pacsafe bags. We have a small one, a knapsack and a camera bag from them.

It is hard to describe their safety features you have to check out their website and see the video.

-slashproof

-zippers end and the pull clips into a locking device that makes it almost impossible to pick pocket

-scan proof pockets

-metal running thru straps and material

They are not 100% cause it is only as good as you use them.

WE also bought a lock from them with a metal wire that can wrap around items like suitcases and then poles to use on the train. Also bought the portable safe that can hold our passports/tablet/phones and we then secure it in the hotel if there is no safe in the room. Also used it at the beach recently on our caribbean trip. Put important stuff in it and attached to tree.

When we are traveling in Europe (Rome or anywhere) and staying in a hotel our Passports are securely locked in the hotel's safe (not in a cheap room safe). But if you do want to carry those valuable documents you can buy small Passport holders with neck straps that you simply wear around your neck and keep tucked under your shirt. They are sold at lots of travel/luggage shops or online at places like Amazon.

As to carrying cash/credit cards, I learned a simple trick from a retired US Secret Service Agent (who we befriended on a European river cruise). I keep my wallet in my front pocket which I always secure with a large safety/diaper pin. The Pin makes it impossible for the wallet (or just cash) to fall out and makes it extremely difficult for anyone to pick my pocket. This is certainly not 100%...but it has served me well for over the past 20 years in areas where pickpockets/purse snatchers were very active.

Otherwise, one should consider some kind of moneybelt or neck-worn carrier that can be kept under one's shirt/blouse. The use of "fanny" or "bum" packs is no longer considered very safe although some travel shops sell those things with a cut-proof strap (it has a metal cable inside).

Hank

Hank,

I think the wallet in the front pocket with safety pin is better than wallet in the rear, but I have read that that method is not secure enough for a good pickpocket.

I wear a money belt when in a city that calls for such concern. I keep a modest amount of cash and perhaps one credit card in my front pocket. Only concern with putting passport in the money belt is if it is 95 degrees outside and I am perspiring, moisture can get into the passport, so I insert the passport (if carried) in a small ziplock bag.

Also, I have read on cc about people having their items stolen from the neck carrier. Still, it is better than a wallet in the rear pocket.

We only carry our passports with us when the ship announces that it is necessary. Otherwise, we carry a photo copy of our passport.

We use the hotel room and cabin safes to protect our passports and most of our cash and extra credit cards. Never had a problem there.

We agree with just about everything 4774Papa says. Bottom line is that a skilled, determined professional pickpocket can get to just about anything! All we can do is take some precautions (many mentioned above) to make their job more difficult and hope that they will go after the "easy mark" which is usually the case. But nothing is 100% secure which is why we never carry our Passports unless absolutely necessary, and like to keep most of our credit cards and cashed locked in a hotel/cruise ship safe.

Hank

My friends had their hotel safe stolen from their room. Yep the entire safe was removed. Their luggage was emptied. Clothes thrown on bed. Safe put in luggage and wheeled out of hotel

My cash stays securely ion my person. Purse pinned shut. And back up money and cards securely on my travel companions

Purse never leaves my body in public and has reinforced lining and strap

Never had an issue. The only issue we ever had was being hacked at a Rome atm

Good thing I was carrying cash and the sad thing I really didn't need to even use the atm. Just did it in case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love my PacSafe bag, but my money, cards and passport when I have to carry them are safe and secure inside my clothing. I like a money pocket which goes through the belt and I also pin it to an inside pocket.

When it is not too hot we use travel vests with inside pockets. When going through airport security, put all small valuables in your vest and put it on the tray. It makes things go very smoothly.

I also love Tilley pants with the hidden security pocket. This is great for one card and a bit of cash.

My friends had their hotel safe stolen from their room. Yep the entire safe was removed. Their luggage was emptied. Clothes thrown on bed. Safe put in luggage and wheeled out of hotel

My cash stays securely ion my person. Purse pinned shut. And back up money and cards securely on my travel companions

Purse never leaves my body in public and has reinforced lining and strap

Never had an issue. The only issue we ever had was being hacked at a Rome atm

Good thing I was carrying cash and the sad thing I really didn't need to even use the atm. Just did it in case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can I ask what hotel that was?

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that is not safe enough in places where there are pick-pockets. They can unbutton pockets without your feeling it. These crimes happen in crowds while you are distracted.

An arm down inside your clothing looking for a hidden pocket is much easier to detect (not that I have had that happen!) Pick pockets go for the easy pickings.