Which River Cruise Line for Foodie

kibutzer

I am trying to get my hubby to take a river cruise. He has gotten spoiled with quality of Oceania dining. I know that our first decision is itinerary but after that which river cruise lines are better know for their dining experience and food quality. Also what are the room like on a river cruise.

Any help is greatly appreciated. We are looking at a a possible Paris itinerary.

I am trying to get my hubby to take a river cruise. He has gotten spoiled with quality of Oceania dining. I know that our first decision is itinerary but after that which river cruise lines are better know for their dining experience and food quality. Also what are the room like on a river cruise.

Any help is greatly appreciated. We are looking at a a possible Paris itinerary.

We also are fans of Oceania for their quality of food and service.

I do think there are differences even between boats with the same line.

For us, the AmaCerto had the best food of any our 9 river cruises, followed by AmaDante, then AmaDagio.

We are fans of the dining and overall experience AMA offers.

If you look at the sticky at the top of this forum you will see an article comparing river cruise lines to ocean cruise lines. AMA is noted as being comparable to Oceania. I agree based on personal experience with both lines.

Rooms are also dependent on the line and vessel.

This is such a subjective topic as one person's Caviar might be another person's salty, crunchy fish eggs. I was more than satisfied with the food quality and presentation on my two Tauck cruises. I felt that the Chef and his staff on both cruises used local produce to produce very good local fare. I thought each meal was a tasty adventure and I got to taste the various dishes of the regions.

Then there was a lady on my first cruise that thought her local restaurant in Chicago cooked better German food than the Chef on board. To each his/her own. I'm pretty sure you'll like the food no matter what river cruise company you choose.

Then there was a lady on my first cruise that thought her local restaurant in Chicago cooked better German food than the Chef on board.

This reminded me of my trips to Italy. More than once I have heard complaints from diners at nearby tables in restaurants complaining that the pasta is undercooked, or that they cannot order spaghetti and meatballs or chicken parmesan or that pizza is better at home. I shake my head and wonder why some people even bother to travel if everything is always better at home.

More than once I have heard complaints from diners at nearby tables in restaurants complaining that the pasta is undercooked, or that they cannot order spaghetti and meatballs or chicken parmesan or that pizza is better at home. I shake my head and wonder why some people even bother to travel if everything is always better at home.

Isn't the whole point of traveling to experience different things? For us, eating things that are different from what we have at home is a big part of the fun. Part of why we travel is to soak up a little of the culture of the places we visit; eating the local food is part of the package. I'm on vacation, and I want to experience as much of that as I can! Going to a restaurant in Italy (or wherever) to look for food that reminds me of home would detract from that experience for me.

If we find a dish with ingredients that we like (especially spices), we will often visit a grocery store to buy some before we go home. Then we use that ingredient at home on occasion as a nice reminder of our trip. We will be in Zanzibar in a few months, and I can't wait to see what we bring home from there! :D

To keep this a little bit on topic, I found the cuisine on Uniworld to be quite good last year. It reflected the local cuisine (we were in Germany, on the Rhine) which we like very much to begin with. They had some fancier Gala dinners that were very nicely done, and the regular dinners were very satisfying as well. The wines were local and tasty, but not 95+ point Wine Spectator wines...

I would not compare them to a fancy land-based restaurant in Paris, but we were very happy with the dining options onboard. We really love German food, but in all honesty you can't call most German food "fancy" and it's not really for foodies. So, I am very interested to see how the food compares on our upcoming Rhone cruise this month. Will the food be fancier and more French? Will the wines be local? I'm hoping so... Only 5 weeks until we find out!

Edited by jpalbny

Isn't the whole point of traveling to experience different things? For us, eating things that are different from what we have at home is a big part of the fun. Part of why we travel is to soak up a little of the culture of the places we visit; eating the local food is part of the package. I'm on vacation, and I want to experience as much of that as I can! Going to a restaurant in Italy (or wherever) to look for food that reminds me of home would detract from that experience for me.

If we find a dish with ingredients that we like (especially spices), we will often visit a grocery store to buy some before we go home. Then we use that ingredient at home on occasion as a nice reminder of our trip. We will be in Zanzibar in a few months, and I can't wait to see what we bring home from there! :D

To keep this a little bit on topic, I found the cuisine on Uniworld to be quite good last year. It reflected the local cuisine (we were in Germany, on the Rhine) which we like very much to begin with. They had some fancier Gala dinners that were very nicely done, and the regular dinners were very satisfying as well. The wines were local and tasty, but not 95+ point Wine Spectator wines...

I would not compare them to a fancy land-based restaurant in Paris, but we were very happy with the dining options onboard. We really love German food, but in all honesty you can't call most German food "fancy" and it's not really for foodies. So, I am very interested to see how the food compares on our upcoming Rhone cruise this month. Will the food be fancier and more French? Will the wines be local? I'm hoping so... Only 5 weeks until we find out!

I agree. When we were in Venice, my husband commented that he had never had garlic served as a "vegetable", and that true Italian food was nothing like American Italian food (in a positive way).

We leave in 5 weeks as well, on Uniworld, in France…..but on a different cruise (Paris/Normandy). We plan on going dusk till dawn for 2 days before boarding on Sunday:D

Robin

Have taken a few Oceania cruises over the past few years...Greek Isles and Rome to Lisbon. The food is absolutely first class.

I think we want every experience...our cameras, cars, movies, computers, et al to be the best! Why not?

However, since food is so personal, not sure how to respond.

The food on Uniworld has never disappointed! They use local fresh produce and create a wonderful dining experience. Also love the food of Uniworld...

my 2 cents..

Rick

Do you live on a Kibbutz or do you like to to joke with people (which I would spell kibitzer)?:D

know its expensive,but after first cruise we booked another.

Food was similar to Oceania,but if you want really top of the line 6 star for all dinners,have really never experienced that in 11 different river cruise with all the main lines.

Second choice is AMA.

Can always have lunch etc.onshore too.

Where do you rank Uniworld?

I'm a foodie, and Uniworld was top notch. The only meal I wasn't impressed with was the Captain's Dinner, which attempted to be traditional American classics. The food wasn't bad, but it didn't compare the the authentic food we had the other nights.

I agree with Alexandra Cruiser, the food on board Scenic is very good all the chefs we have had have been very accommodating the staff remember what your preferences are and if your not sure about something on at least two of our cruises have brought out a taster. Over the years I have collected recipes from all over the world from Restraunts most chefs are wonderful when you ask (a few are down right sniffy) but the Scenic chefs go out of their way to accommodate to the extent on one cruise of offering to demonstrate a technique.

Food is very subjective what suits one pallet may not another but what would our world be like if we all liked the same thing 'boring'!

Happy cruising all.😃

< Maybe take a different approach especially with the Paris itinerary. Eat as many meals off ship in authentic French restaurants or cafés.>

We do that no matter we travel when on a river cruise. For us, the local cuisine and wine is an important part of the experience. From street food to fine dining, we really enjoy absorbing as much of the local culture as possible, more than simply seeing the sights.

Among our favorite things to do is visit local outdoor markets, grocery stores, specialty stores and apothecaries.

Where do you rank Uniworld?

but would be 3rd.Depends on ea.boat ,of course.We did Portugal.Did Viking in Russia and dead last.on that one.So ea.country also can determine quality and choices.

Try to be honest and NOT be a cheerleader for just one line.We now have done so many that its mostly based on itinerary,then line.Like AMA was best(at time for Vietnam),etc.Also, food important but LOVE the extra perks now like balcony,tub,room service,etc.which are RARE on river cruises(only Scenic so far unless you upgrade on others to suite.

but would be 3rd.Depends on ea.boat ,of course.We did Portugal.Did Viking in Russia and dead last.on that one.So ea.country also can determine quality and choices.

Try to be honest and NOT be a cheerleader for just one line.We now have done so many that its mostly based on itinerary,then line.Like AMA was best(at time for Vietnam),etc.Also, food important but LOVE the extra perks now like balcony,tub,room service,etc.which are RARE on river cruises(only Scenic so far unless you upgrade on others to suite.

We absolutely love the food on Oceania but we felt the food on Viking was very weak. The first night on board Viking a table mate made the observation the food was a far cry from Oceania. Viking breakfast buffet was decent, their lunch was mostly pasta, premade sandwiches and salad fixings. Their dinner offerings left a lot to be desired, with the exception of a few beef dishes. Their always available choices, steak, chicken and a vegan offering sounded good but the steak was grisly, the chicken had a very strange microwave consistency. Portions were small, menu choices were limited. I would have killed for a baked potato.

We absolutely love the food on Oceania but we felt the food on Viking was very weak. The first night on board Viking a table mate made the observation the food was a far cry from Oceania. Viking breakfast buffet was decent, their lunch was mostly pasta, premade sandwiches and salad fixings.

When we toured a longship in April, it was lunchtime and we walked through the buffet to check it out. We were struck by the choices available; lunch featured inexpensive dishes, including steam table pasta, unappealing salads and sandwiches. It was a far cry from our experiences on AMA and confirmed what we already believed about Viking in terms of quality.

We met a couple on the 2nd night of that cruise that had been aboard Viking the week before (their first river cruise) and then rolled over and boarded the AmaBella. Their comments included that the stateroom was cramped (they had French balconies on both), the ship crowded, food mediocre and wine was "swill".

We had dinner with them on the last night of the cruise and they said that they were happy they had tried AMA after Viking or they would never have taken another river cruise. They were Oceania, Regent and Celebrity cruisers.

Edited by caviargal

I'm pretty picky about my food and have found both Uniworld cruises I've been on to have very good food. French better than central Europe cruise, but that's because the chefs want to represent local cuisine. Nonetheless I enjoyed the Hungarian, Bohemian and Serb dishes available to us.

We'll be on another Uniworld cruise (south France) this summer. Can't wait!

Good to hear that the French cruise had even better food. We too are on the SS Catherine for a Rhône cruise this year - in fact, next month! Looking forward to finding out first hand. :)

Edited by jpalbny