Whittier worth an extra day?

Djaye

If by "Whittier" you actually mean "Whittier", then the answer is a definitive "no". Whittier barely exists outside of the cruise terminal. But obviously, one could spend a month on the Kenai Peninsula and never get bored. So if you are asking if there is enough to do on Kenai in the space between Seward and Whittier to warrant an extra day, then the answer will always be "yes". But don't plan on wasting a moment "seeing" or "touring" Whittier.

We are staying in Seward a couple of days prior to our SB cruise. Are there enough things to see/do in nearby Whittier to warrant an additional day? If so, what is best transportation to/from there?

Whittier has a couple good glacier tours...Major Marine and Phillips are the 2 most commonly suggested. Also, there are a couple areas you can take short hikes. Other than that, Whittier is pretty much nothing and is very, very small and until I just looked it up, didn't even think there were any hotels there.

What we did in 2013 was spend 1 night in Girdwood prior to 2 nights in Seward. From there, we were able to visit Whittier, the Portage Glacier and several other sights. On the drive down to Seward, we visited Hope and made several stops along the way to look at the scenary.

Of course, this was all with a rented car.

We are staying in Seward a couple of days prior to our SB cruise. Are there enough things to see/do in nearby Whittier to warrant an additional day? If so, what is best transportation to/from there?

If by "Whittier" you actually mean "Whittier", then the answer is a definitive "no". Whittier barely exists outside of the cruise terminal. But obviously, one could spend a month on the Kenai Peninsula and never get bored. So if you are asking if there is enough to do on Kenai in the space between Seward and Whittier to warrant an extra day, then the answer will always be "yes". But don't plan on wasting a moment "seeing" or "touring" Whittier.

What JimmyVWine said: there's "nuthin'" in Whittier. I mean nothing. <20 streets. One lane in OR out. Aiport with a 1480' gravel runway, and if the pilot misses, "GO AROUND UNLIKELY". Biggest building is down by the dock: Customs/Border Protection uses it for the cruise ships. See the dock by that building? It's maybe 400 feet long from piling to piling, 225 feet of actual usable dock surface (so it's DWARFED by the ship).

How are you getting to Seward? There is enough to do in Seward to keep you busy for a few days.

Whittier is a great spot for the glacier cruises. If your Kenai cruise gets weathered out in Seward, s Whittier cruise might be a good back up plan.

The only way to get to Whittier from Seward is via Seward Bus Line, or a seward taxi service. Or I guess you could return to Anchorage and take the train, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer, bus, or AVIS rental car ( the only vendor in Whittier). http://www.sewardbuslines.net/summer.html

Another option .... get a one-way rental car from Avis in Anchorage. Use the car to get to Seward, then drop it off in Whittier. Having a car will enable you to do more exploring in the area.

Edited by mapleleaves

How are you getting to Seward? There is enough to do in Seward to keep you busy for a few days.

Whittier is a great spot for the glacier cruises. If your Kenai cruise gets weathered out in Seward, s Whittier cruise might be a good back up plan.

The only way to get to Whittier from Seward is via Seward Bus Line, or a seward taxi service. Or I guess you could return to Anchorage and take the train, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer, bus, or AVIS rental car ( the only vendor in Whittier). http://www.sewardbuslines.net/summer.html

Another option .... get a one-way rental car from Avis in Anchorage. Use the car to get to Seward, then drop it off in Whittier. Having a car will enable you to do more exploring in the area.

Our itinerary so far is:

Day 1 - Arrive Anc

Day 2 - Train from Anc to Seward, visit Exit Glacier

Day 3 - All day Kenai Fjords

Day 4 - Sea Life Ctr & Board Ship

We are considering an extra day in ANC - renting a car to drive to Girdwood for the Wildlife Conservation Ctr and Mt. Alyeska, and to do some of the pull offs along Turnagain Arm. Return to Anc for the Train to Seward. I realize we will see some of the same scenery along Turnagain from the train.

• 2 weeks later...
Our itinerary so far is:

Day 1 - Arrive Anc

We are considering an extra day in ANC - renting a car to drive to Girdwood for the Wildlife Conservation Ctr and Mt. Alyeska, and to do some of the pull offs along Turnagain Arm. Return to Anc for the Train to Seward. I realize we will see some of the same scenery along Turnagain from the train.

I have been going to Alaska or 15+ years,2 weeks in winter,6weeks in summer.I have never done train(overpriced) but have done the drive from Anchorage south to Kenai Peninsula dozens of times. I would rent a car one way from Anchorage to Seward if possible.You see just as much if not more driving as it is rated the most scenic hwy. in USA. There are many stops along the way-Beluga point,Girdwood(Bake Shop for lunch),Hope,and if you have time Cooper Landing where There is a Princess Lodge for lunch or dinner, and you can go to the Russian River Falls and probably see a bear or 2.There are plenty of nice B&Bs in Mooses Pass or near Seward to stay in. Will be going again in 2 weeks to go ice fishing and can't wait.Hope this helps.:):):)

Edited by diesel1973
mistake

Our itinerary so far is:

Day 1 - Arrive Anc

If you can add a day, then do so. Whittier is very worthwhile for a fantastic look at Prince William Sound via boat tours. Add a stop at the Portage Glacier visitor Center, hike the Winner trail, take a ride to Hope, Crow Creek Mine.