Beverages and Beverage Packages FAQ

ailetoile

My alcoholic drinks would be pay as I go. How do i get an idea about the px of the cocktail I order ? Wouldn't that depend on the liquor used? For ex if I order a vodka based drink shd I expect to be served absolut or grey goose? Do i specify each time? I'm pretty sure I don't know my booze that well. Grateful for views on how this would work in practice.

Generally speaking, assume a cocktail with 1 liquor in it will be billed based on the brand of liquor, top shelf more expensive, well for cheap. So Absolute and tonic is cheap, Grey Goose and tonic is more.

if drink has more than 1 liquor in it, assume it's more expensive, like martini's at the martini bar.

So if you want cheap, order Absolute and Tonic. If you order vodka tonic and don't specify, never know what brand they pour that will determine the price you will pay, though often if not always, they will ask "what brand of vodka would you like" or "do you want that made with Grey Goose?" to which you reply " no, Absolute is fine".

I expect a server to automatically pour a more expensive drink, unless I ask for something cheap.

Thank you. I plan to try different cocktails and liqueurs etc. And j definitely don't know which would be premium and which would be classic. So guess I shd be telling the server to make it as he would make one for a classic pkg. does that sound convoluted or could it work ?

Thank you. I plan to try different cocktails and liqueurs etc. And j definitely don't know which would be premium and which would be classic. So guess I shd be telling the server to make it as he would make one for a classic pkg. does that sound convoluted or could it work ?

It should work. I would guess the house brand would be included, but the safest request would be asking for whatever is included in the classic package.

Of course if you really want to try many different drinks you might want to consider paying the $11.80 per day to upgrade to the premium package even if it is for the last four days or so. (Whatever the cut off is).

The current list for classic and premium liquor choices/brands is on the celebrity web site link for precruise info.

Unfortunately not a one listed for wine varieties.:(

Edited by eandj

My experience has been the opposite - I believe I usually get the well liquor unless I ask for a higher name.

This has more than likely been asked lots of time, but for the life of me can't remember - but what are "well drinks"??? This is not a term we are familiar with in Australia - does it mean the run of the mill brands of a particular liquor? Sort of like the cheaper brands? Which when all is said and done is quite okay in a mixed drink because you really can't taste the difference, especially if you add coke etc.

Thanks, Karen

Just got off Soltace. The wines were fine. If you tell them hat kind of wine you enjoy they come up with something decent. I had reds and whites at dinner and always enjoyed the selection. I had California and Chilean wines.

This has more than likely been asked lots of time, but for the life of me can't remember - but what are "well drinks"??? This is not a term we are familiar with in Australia - does it mean the run of the mill brands of a particular liquor? Sort of like the cheaper brands? Which when all is said and done is quite okay in a mixed drink because you really can't taste the difference, especially if you add coke etc.

Thanks, Karen

Yes, that's the general definition of well drinks. It refers to something other than what we'd call "top shelf". [emoji483][emoji484]

It would be my guess that the house brand of spirits is used for any drink unless something higher on the "food chain" is asked for.

Celebrity is all for maximizing it's profit, and more profit is gained if drinks are made from the cheapest spirits.

Is it reasonable to assume that if, when paying for drinks with no drinks package I don't request a specific brand of spirit, this will be reflected in the price of the drink?

When you order a drink from a bar waiter, they will take your Sea Pass card with them when they go to get your drink, so they already know if you have the Classic or Premium package. If you did not specify a "top shelf" brand of alcohol, you will get whatever alcohol is specified for the Classic Package. If in doubt about a specific drink, just ask, and they will tell you if it is included.

They definitely do not automatically pour the more expensive alcohol so you shouldn't need to worry. If that were the case, there would be rioting in the streets (or on the decks)! :D

And rioting in Royal Caribbean board room, but for different reasons. :)

When you order a drink from a bar waiter, they will take your Sea Pass card with them when they go to get your drink, so they already know if you have the Classic or Premium package. If you did not specify a "top shelf" brand of alcohol, you will get whatever alcohol is specified for the Classic Package. If in doubt about a specific drink, just ask, and they will tell you if it is included.

They definitely do not automatically pour the more expensive alcohol so you shouldn't need to worry. If that were the case, there would be rioting in the streets (or on the decks)! :D

My experience has been the opposite - I believe I usually get the well liquor unless I ask for a higher name.

It would be my guess that the house brand of spirits is used for any drink unless something higher on the "food chain" is asked for.

Celebrity is all for maximizing it's profit, and more profit is gained if drinks are made from the cheapest spirits.

We've had (upgraded to) the premium package on our last couple of cruises. I drink mostly greyhounds (vodka and grapefruit juice) during the day. It's DEFINITELY been my experience that unless I specify brand of vodka I get the least expensive available at each particular bar. (Couple of good bartenders finally recognize me and know what I like after a day or two, though)

When you order a drink from a bar waiter, they will take your Sea Pass card with them when they go to get your drink, so they already know if you have the Classic or Premium package.

Oh, I thought you just showed them your card. No biggie, just want to be prepared and not shout "why are you taking my card." LOL:D

And if you ask expect to be charged.

Though I find the waiters great at warning you if you are ordering something outside the package.

When you order a drink from a bar waiter, they will take your Sea Pass card with them when they go to get your drink, so they already know if you have the Classic or Premium package.

Oh, I thought you just showed them your card. No biggie, just want to be prepared and not shout "why are you taking my card." LOL:D

They take your card and scan it, swipe it or just write it up on a pad, inventory control but I suspect the ship also keeps track of how many you are drinking.

If you have the Classic Pkg.

With Premium Pkg, you are only charged the difference, plus 18%.

Also if you order a more expensive drink you pay the full cost of the drink, not the amount in excess of the package.

If you have the Classic Pkg.

With Premium Pkg, you are only charged the difference, plus 18%.

Thanks for the reply AtleeH. I may not have been very clear. I meant without any drink package. Would I be charged more if I ordered a cocktail and specified a branded (but not premium) spirit, rather than simply ordered the cocktail and said nothing about what should be in it?

Thanks for the reply AtleeH. I may not have been very clear. I meant without any drink package. Would I be charged more if I ordered a cocktail and specified a branded (but not premium) spirit, rather than simply ordered the cocktail and said nothing about what should be in it?

Honestly, the answer is "maybe." It depends on whether the brand that you ordered is the same as (or equivalent to) the brand they would have used anyway. :cool:

Honestly, the answer is "maybe." It depends on whether the brand that you ordered is the same as (or equivalent to) the brand they would have used anyway. :cool:
D

Difficult with a detailed price list I suppose. Does they have those?

I don't know where a price list is, but on Celebrity web site, they have under the Classic Package, a list of spirits that are included in Classic and Premium packages.

D

Difficult with a detailed price list I suppose. Does they have those?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. We have the Classic package included in our booking with gratuities. How would that work if we upgrade to Premium? I know we would pay the additional $10-11 per person/per day but would we only pay taxes and gratuities on just the upgraded portion? Would that get complicated? I have also read on these boards that if you purchase a higher priced drink, you don't just pay the difference. You actually have to pay for the entire drink.