laundry in cabin

rahrah50

The ship requests that passengers not leave anything on balconies unattended. Please even if you think you have things clipped securely do not leave them out the overnight!

Well, considering that I've been doing this for about 15 years, I think I'll keep doing it. Never had a thing blow overboard using multiple clips per garment.

I have camisoles that I rinse out and dry overnight so I can wear one of them in port the next day. They have to be washed multiple times over the length of the cruise, and I don't want to wait 24 - 48 hours for the laundry to come back.

Why is it that every time someone asks a legitimate question about doing some laundry in their cabin a bunch of people have to chime in about not doing laundry?

Some of us would prefer to wash out some of our clothes, especially the delicates, and not send them out.

It isn't just a question of money, it is better for high end undies and bras to be washed in a very delicate cycle or by hand and hung to dry.

I have used clothes pegs on the back of the balcony chair. Works like a charm, if I set them out as we get ready for dinner, they are dry before we go to bed. I do this for my gym clothes too. Dri-fit and similar brands make this easy.

I'm happy for those that send stuff out (and I have too) but please, let those of us who want to do some hand laundry, do it in peace.

I know how a lot of people feel about doing washing on a cruise,whether it be for the cost of or inconvenience of it,and yes it is only a small $ amount in the whole scheme of things ''but'' it is always handy to hang the occasional ''few '' things up somewhere to dry if you do not have a full bag to have done.

because people like to travel as light as possible these days (luggage weight restrictions on airplanes etc) we all have had to cut down on quantity, so having a restricted amount of ''smalls' means extra washes through the cruise,having said that, we have ofund on most occasions enough room to hang the few things in the shower room itself, but we do take a couple of jockey straps and a few pegs ' yes al lightweight'' and stretch it ourt on our balcony ''on sea days only'' and let the wind dry them,if you are in an inside cabin etc,i don't have an answer

Ok, just stating up front that I'm not being at all facetious in this post.

Was reading the thread...and I totally get that some people would want to wash certain delicate items themselves (underwear particularly) and I had a crazy thought:

Would a salad spinner work as a sort of "manual powered dryer" for small wrung out items like that? Crazy thought I know....but now I'm curious and intrigued to find out. Might have to check just for the sake of it when I get home from the current trip I'm on :D

Was reading the thread...and I totally get that some people would want to wash certain delicate items themselves (underwear particularly) and I had a crazy thought:

Would a salad spinner work as a sort of "manual powered dryer" for small wrung out items like that? Crazy thought I know....but now I'm curious and intrigued to find out. Might have to check just for the sake of it when I get home from the current trip I'm on :D

Salad spinner?

That's not such a silly suggestion except for two points, your smalls had better be small [not like mine] and water will spray everywhere won't it.

That's not such a silly suggestion except for two points, your smalls had better be small [not like mine] and water will spray everywhere won't it.

Smalls don't have to be that small...judging from the amount of lettuce you can get in there :) And no worries about the water, it spins out and into the solid bowl that encases the basket...and it stays there...centrifugal force and such :D

Sorry, thought everyone was familiar with this gadget...a manual powered spinning basket within a bowl designed to remove liquid from the item (usually lettuce or other such greens) within the basket. :)

Right, seems to much bulkiness though.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Smalls don't have to be that small...judging from the amount of lettuce you can get in there :) And no worries about the water, it spins out and into the solid bowl that encases the basket...and it stays there...centrifugal force and such :D

OK thanks the one the bride had, had to be sat in the sink.

I travel frequently with a carry on and have a small laundry kit that fits into a quart sized plastic bag. It includes 3 in 1 laundry sheets that I cut in half for a sink load of laundry, a few clothes pins and two inflatable clothes hangers that I purchased from an online travel store. They are very handy to dry shirts since the fabric is not touching. I use the towel method to remove the excess water and it also prevents the clothes from wrinkling as much. Light weight fabrics work best and anything that is heavy gets sent to the ship's laundry or dry cleaning. If I put something on the balcony I clip it to the back of the chairs and put the chairs in the corners, you can't see the laundry and I don't leave it out overnight. I don't like doing laundry but I really don't like lugging a lot of luggage when we are traveling overseas and we always combine a land trip with a cruise when we travel that far.

The ship requests that passengers not leave anything on balconies unattended. Please even if you think you have things clipped securely do not leave them out the overnight!

Well, considering that I've been doing this for about 15 years, I think I'll keep doing it. Never had a thing blow overboard using multiple clips per garment.

I have camisoles that I rinse out and dry overnight so I can wear one of them in port the next day. They have to be washed multiple times over the length of the cruise, and I don't want to wait 24 - 48 hours for the laundry to come back.

It is less about things blowing off the ship, as burning material blowing onto the balcony and starting a fire. This is a real hazard and if I recall correctly, a ship had a fire within the last couple of years, started by this same combination of laundry and a discarded cigarette.

Thanks for all the information. I just want to wash socks and undies, everything else goes to the ship's laundry. I will be at Walmart today looking for metal hooks as I have a travel clothes line. I found a cabin tour on Youtube and I think there are a few places I can place a small skirt hangar too.

8 widows are off on a Baltic cruise and we are so excited to be on Ccelebrity Silhouette. The board has been a great place for us to gather information for this trip. Thanks everyone!!!!

Thanks for all the information. I just want to wash socks and undies, everything else goes to the ship's laundry. I will be at Walmart today looking for metal hooks as I have a travel clothes line. I found a cabin tour on Youtube and I think there are a few places I can place a small skirt hangar too.

8 widows are off on a Baltic cruise and we are so excited to be on Ccelebrity Silhouette. The board has been a great place for us to gather information for this trip. Thanks everyone!!!!

Enjoy your cruise,:D

BTW, I Loved San Antonio when I visited, such a lovely place.

I am with those ladys who have issues sending their, if I may quote a Downton Abby character, small pieces to the ship's laundry. I was in the Container Store one day, and found the most useful item. It is a white plastic rectangular "hanger," with 12 small clips on it. I can attach a "small piece" to each clip and hang on the shower bar, towel rack, or even in the closet. I take it whenever I am gone for more than a couple of days so I can wash "small pieces" in the sink. Love it!

I am with those ladys who have issues sending their, if I may quote a Downton Abby character, small pieces to the ship's laundry. I was in the Container Store one day, and found the most useful item. It is a white plastic rectangular "hanger," with 12 small clips on it. I can attach a "small piece" to each clip and hang on the shower bar, towel rack, or even in the closet. I take it whenever I am gone for more than a couple of days so I can wash "small pieces" in the sink. Love it!

Thanks for the tip.:cool: And, I totally agree -- if there's one place that my "unmentionables" are NOT going -- it's the ships' laundry! ;)

Here's a quick tip so you don't have sopping wet items to deal with and very slow drying. You can also do this with swimsuits to help them dry faster after swimming.

After washing the item and wringing out as much water as you easily can, lay a towel down on the floor (can be one you previously used as long as it isn't super damp, or sometimes I grab a pool towel). Lay the item down on the towel and fold the towel and item up a few times with the towel around the item. Then jump up and down, or at least walk around on the towel/item for a while. This forces the water out of the item and into the towel.

You can unfold the towel and re-fold your item within the towel so as to use any remaining dry areas of the towel against your item.

After this the item is usually much easier to deal with because it is almost dry. I'll often hang things on hangers in the closet to finish drying, or on the various wall hooks.