At what age would you put your kids ACROSS from you in an inside room?

mommyto3nj

We are a family of five and currently have two balcony rooms booked. I'm thinking about maybe booking an inside room for my kids. Thinking before we head to bed, we would give them one of our keys so that the kids can let them in our room if an issue arises. Thoughts?

We are also a family of 5. Kids are dd 16 and twin ds 11. We have a balcony booked for our next cruise with an inside across the hall. DD and a twin will be in the inside. This is a first for us so I can't comment on how the arrangement works out ;)

We are a family of five and currently have two balcony rooms booked. I'm thinking about maybe booking an inside room for my kids. Thinking before we head to bed, we would give them one of our keys so that the kids can let them in our room if an issue arises. Thoughts?

If your booked on the newer ships like Breakaway the inside cabin doors are not directly across from the balcony cabins. There a hallway in the middle of the deck that you go down to get to the inside cabins. Keep the balcony cabins next to each other.

If your booked on the newer ships like Breakaway the inside cabin doors are not directly across from the balcony cabins. There a hallway in the middle of the deck that you go down to get to the inside cabins. Keep the balcony cabins next to each other.

Oh wow I didn't know this! Thank you!

My kids started taking school choir trips in 7th grade, 4 to a room, no adults in the room, so I'd say 12/13.

Agreed. My son is 15. A few years ago he started taking school trips and when in hotels not all rooms had chaperones. To me it depends on the kids. Believe it or not some kids aged 13-16 are already having sex and their own room on a cruise ship could be a bad idea. If you know your kids wouldn't take advantage of it and you trust them - I would absolutely say they're old enough at 12-15 in a room close to you.

My kids started taking school choir trips in 7th grade, 4 to a room, no adults in the room, so I'd say 12/13.

Yep, my son actually started this when traveling with a choir in 4th grade! 4 to a room, adult across the hall. And he wouldn't even know the other 3 kids in his room until that day.

^^^You can't always do adjoining rooms or a family suite....but isn't that obvious.

For us, I have girls who wouldn't wander away and would tell me if they ever needed to leave their room. I was comfortable with an across the hall room when my kids were 10 and 12. I don't know that I would have been comfortable with this any earlier because then you deal with things like.....did they make sure the door was closed all the way before they left the room, etc.

I had to book me and my husband in a room with one child and then when we got on board we had our key cards changed. It was no problem.

there are insides across from the balconys on getaway. We did it this last June. The kids had a corner inside and we had a balcony. I don't remember their room number but ours was 9463 ( or as I would call it, "not my birthday", which is 9364.... It was so darn confusing. Lol)

My kids were 12 and 13 and all four of us were in heaven. Richard, our steward was amazing with the kids. He always knew if they were in the cabin or not.

ETA: I did not want our kids in a balcony without us. The PCC searched high and low for this limited option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing

On ncl website it states there has to be someone 21 or older in each cabin unless it is a connecting stateroom. On my cruise in June I have connecting balcony rooms and tried to have my 3 kids put in one room (18,16,10). Pcc told me he couldn't book rooms without a 21 yo in the room but could have it changed once on board as long as room was connected.

I still remember reading the account of a 13 year old girl, who left her little brother in the cabin alone, and was found in another room (which also had no parents in it) and her parents didn't know she was gone until security brought her back and, of course, they said she has never done anything like this before. I would guess that the cruise lines have an age restriction for being in a cabin and if the parents want to ignore them, I'm sure if something happens, the cruise line will be proven to be not at fault.

Our granddaughters had their first cabin when they were about 13 and 10 I think. It worked out great, they loved it and it gave dd and sil some privacy, plus they were not crowded. It was on the old Seaward (later the Sea) and the cabins were very tiny.

^^^You can't always do adjoining rooms or a family suite....but isn't that obvious.

For us, I have girls who wouldn't wander away and would tell me if they ever needed to leave their room. I was comfortable with an across the hall room when my kids were 10 and 12. I don't know that I would have been comfortable with this any earlier because then you deal with things like.....did they make sure the door was closed all the way before they left the room, etc.

I had to book me and my husband in a room with one child and then when we got on board we had our key cards changed. It was no problem.

That is so true. You do just what dd and sil did. A lot does depend on the kids and how mature they are, but I think most kids can handle being in their own cabin. Do they sleep with mom and dad at home?

That is so true. You do just what dd and sil did. A lot does depend on the kids and how mature they are, but I think most kids can handle being in their own cabin. Do they sleep with mom and dad at home?

Family rooms are not always that big, and connecting rooms are very limited.

Cruise ships are far safer for kids than hotels.

I have never once heard of violence or sex crime against children (committed by strangers) on a ship. If it has happened, it's super rare.

One thing I do is take a baby monitor on board, and use it to watch the other room. This will work if the rooms are within a few doors down.

If you honestly are afraid to have your teen(s) in their own room on a cruise ship, good luck to you in a few years when they go to college.

I still remember reading the account of a 13 year old girl, who left her little brother in the cabin alone, and was found in another room (which also had no parents in it) and her parents didn't know she was gone until security brought her back and, of course, they said she has never done anything like this before. I would guess that the cruise lines have an age restriction for being in a cabin and if the parents want to ignore them, I'm sure if something happens, the cruise line will be proven to be not at fault.

And the problem is...... Are you saying that those who choose to get their kids a separate cabin are ignoring their children? I guess I ignored them from when they were 2 years old when they each were in full time structured day care. My kids are independent and responsible children and I love them all the more for it.

Having kids in a cabin across the hall seems no different than kids being in their own rooms at home. Many folks have such huge homes these days, that on the cruise ship, the kids would actually be closer to the parents than they are in their own homes!! ha!

The only thing I would remind the kids is not to open their cabin to door to ANYONE. Make sure they are familiar with the cabin steward, which really should be the only one asking for admittance to their cabin. Even if someone knocks on the door stating they are delivering room service or are from ship maintenance.

Any creepy people, which can even include cruise ship staff, may take notice that the girls are on their own in a cabin. I'm sure most kids know of this when they are in their own homes...not to open the door to anyone..... But when on vacation, people/kids do let their guards down and don't often take precautions they would take when going about their normal lives.

And the problem is...... Are you saying that those who choose to get their kids a separate cabin are ignoring their children? I guess I ignored them from when they were 2 years old when they each were in full time structured day care. My kids are independent and responsible children and I love them all the more for it.

Where did I say the parents ignore their children, I said they ignore the age restrictions rules placed by the cruise line.

When I read that one attorney in Florida has had 75 cases of sexual molestation, with half of those involving children, I just think I'd rather be safe than sorry. What someone else does is their business.

Edited by NLH Arizona