Comments on experience of Last Cruise before ship sold to another company?

Jerryr11

Looking at Celebrity Century last cruise before being sold to another company in April. Has anyone taken a last cruise from any line and have any comments on their experience. I would expect the ship needing some fix ups and perhaps loss of some staff but not really sure how bad it might be if at all?

Comments please from those who have been on such a cruise ( or nearing a last cruise being sold or into dry dock even) or heard from friends.

Looking at Celebrity Century last cruise before being sold to another company in April. Has anyone taken a last cruise from any line and have any comments on their experience. I would expect the ship needing some fix ups and perhaps loss of some staff but not really sure how bad it might be if at all?

Comments please from those who have been on such a cruise ( or nearing a last cruise being sold or into dry dock even) or heard from friends.

We were on the Summit on the cruise just before her dry dock.

We had a good time but the construction actually began while we were aboard and some areas were off limits.

Would we book another like it, only if it was heavily discounted.

Here's a picture from that sailing (New Years eve 2011)

9gdc3q.jpg

Hi,

We were on the very last Galaxy cruise before she went to Tui (mein Schiff).

Obviously not as well maintained but still very clean and food etc., still normal Celebrity standards. Would I risk it again - probably not.

The last(final) Carnival cruise I was on was on a ship that was leaving the fleet. I believe it was the Jubilee in 2004. It was the worst cruise I've ever been on. No supplies, low crew morale, only 2 bars open on the whole ship most of the time.

Of course that was Carnival, hopefully Celebrity won't be like that.

We were on the final Celebrity Mercury cruise. It was not as enjoyable as the Mercury cruise we took the year previously. There was no fanfare or special feeling as several of us had expected. They even moved the port from Charleston so we had to drive to Baltimore!!!

There were no sale or special prices. The stores all started packing inventory early. Several food items that were always available on the previous cruise ran out mid cruise.

It's too bad too because they could have made that a cruise to remember. People did start taking (stealing) things off the walls. So the last morning I took my cabin number. :-) They were completely stripping the ship for the new owner's rebuild anyway.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We sailed on the Mercury close to her bring retired from the fleet and had a wonderful time.

We are also very excited about sailing on the Century Singapore to Dubai on the 22 March. Her penultimate cruise under the Celebrity flag.

We have heard there may be some work being done in preparation for her hand over, we are not concerned as it will probably be taking place while we are in port.

If you are considering this cruise please drop by our friendly roll call.

Cheers, h.

Sent from the nether world using magic

We were on the Summit on the cruise just before her dry dock.

We had a good time but the construction actually began while we were aboard and some areas were off limits.

Would we book another like it, only if it was heavily discounted.

Here's a picture from that sailing (New Years eve 2011)

9gdc3q.jpg

Often times these staging areas are in obscure locations. Even Arno's reports on his recent sailings during the Suite Dining Conversion on Reflection seems fairly unobtrusive.

Just wishing that I could go with you. Century is one of my favorite ships -- sure will miss her, when she leaves the fleet! :(

We were on the last sailing of Royal's Monarch of the Seas. Crew was in good spirits, and I don't recall that they were running out of any particular food or liquor items. The ship was in good shape as well; older obviously, but had continued to be well maintained. The main thing we noticed was that the gift shop stock was very, very low. Obviously that had stopped restocking some time prior to that cruise and had marked things down to clear them out rather than be stuck with stuff that would need to be transferred to another ship's gift shop. On the last night of the cruise we got a souvenir photo book of the ship.