Travelling with a toddler

My DS and DIL are planning a cruise for next summer. They have a 2 year old. Other than moving up to a suite, what type of cabin would people recommend to give them the most room. They have stayed in an inside before but are concerned they might be too cramped. Does the ship provide a pak and play or will they have to bring their own? Thanks for any help.

I would book a D category balcony. The balcony gives the adults someplace "to be" while a tot is napping or down early for the night. A D category has more floor space than an E....and if money is no factor, a JS is great!!!! That would give them a tub, instead of a shower...

If they take a D or E, they will probably need to bring a blow up tub for bathing the child...most don't like showers!

Remind them that diapered kids aren't allowed in the pools!

Edited by cb at sea

A balcony room is nice because of the extra space, but my son (at 1, 2, & 2.5) drove us crazy wanting to go in and out of the door. I was amazed at how well he adapted to playing in such a small space, whether it was pushing a car in the 2 feet of floor space or rolling around on the bed. When he needed more space we found areas that were empty, but he could be contained somewhat (empty lounges, areas of the open deck that were pretty empty, ect) and we would let him run free for a couple of minutes. This really seemed to help him expend energy as did walking laps around the deck areas.

I am not a die hard balcony person, but that being said I likely would not have wanted a standard inside cabin either when traveling with a child that young. We spent a lot more time in our cabin with DS as a toddler than we ever had on previous cruises. We ended up deciding that shore excursions were not really worth it for us with a young child that was on a pretty set schedule and put the money towards balcony cabins. DS is now 4.5 and we are going back to insides & oceanview cabins because I know that we will be out and about a lot more.

I do believe that Royal will provide a pack and play, but I have seen others recommend bringing your own sheet.

Even with our kids along, we've only ever stayed in an interior room. ;) We didn't find ourselves in the room that often, even with little ones. Our most recent cruise, we had 2 connecting interior rooms for 8 of us (6 kids). We also had a pack'n'play (that yes the ship will provide for you). During the day, we put the pack'n'play on the bed to allow more floor space. For naps, we took a walk on deck with our small stroller that reclined. Once they were asleep, we'd find a shady place to sit & read. I would also use my sling to put my little ones in to nap while I walked around as well. As far as space goes, it's probably a personal preference. We were fine with all of us in the small space of an interior room. :)

I did bring along my own sheet as they just use a flat sheet to wrap around the pack'n'play pad. For bathing, I just took my little ones in with me. The shower head is removable so for my 3 yr old, I could just stand her on her own & remove the shower head to bathe her.

Wife and I are traveling with our 8 month old daughter on the Liberty at the end of the month. We booked a balcony cabin so we could spend time out there while our daughter sleeps. Going with the advice of others, we purchased a small blow up pool/tub for bath time as well as private shaded pool time for her (Liberty has a pool approved for diaper children but it is in the sun). Another invaluable item we are bringing is grandparents! Both mine and my wifes parents are in adjoining balcony cabins so we can a have large balcony and free daycare! Though people probably think cruising with a baby is crazy, we are very excited to bring her along. Got to get her on the diamond path early!

We brought out now 3 year old when he was 2 years and 3 months. We had two sea days and 4 port days- we were barely in our cabin and did mostly beach days. He wouldn't nap in the cabin with us there so we would walk laps around one of the decks so he slept in his stroller. Schedules were out the window and he did great all things considered. He would not have fit in pack n play though and he was a small two year old. He just slept in the middle of us at night. Have fun!

We are taking our family on our 1st family cruise this June. One daughter and SIL have 2 toddlers aged 3 and 1. She didn't want a balcony room for various reasons. So, we booked them 2 connecting OV rooms instead. It was actually cheaper than having 4 of them in a balcony room!!! This way there are 2 bathrooms and 2 double beds with room for the kids to play! We did request a pack and play....Mommy and Daddy can have time to relax in their own room while kids are sleeping in the other if that's what they choose to do! Also, because of others great ideas here on CC, I bought them a small inflatable type pool to use in the shower as their bathtub :)

We did a Trans-Atlantic on Liberty this past October with our DS and DIL along with our then 14 month Grandson. We had interior connecting cabins and the ship provided a Pak N Play. It worked wonderfully for us it gave our GS more room to play in.

Bring some disposable sippy cups the cruise lines don't have any. Also, take an extra glass of juice at breakfast back to your room. It is difficult to get juice in the afternoon without being charged. Also, bring a small bottle of dish detergent to clean sippy cups or bottles in bathroom sink. Some ships have boxes of milk that do not require refrigeration they are great for bringing off the ship, milk can be hard to find at the beach.

Sorry to butt in on the OG's post but I was wondering if anyone knows how big the pack n plays are. Are they regular size? We are travelling with my soon to be 3 year old in October. He still sleeps in a crib and shows no signs of wanting to be moved. We are in a room with the bunks above and, having cruised before, I know they are not safe for a child that young. That said, I really don't want to have to share my bed either.

Thanks!

Sorry to butt in on the OG's post but I was wondering if anyone knows how big the pack n plays are. Are they regular size? We are travelling with my soon to be 3 year old in October. He still sleeps in a crib and shows no signs of wanting to be moved. We are in a room with the bunks above and, having cruised before, I know they are not safe for a child that young. That said, I really don't want to have to share my bed either.

Thanks!

He will likely be too big for a pack-n-play but way too young for a bunk. Either one parent will need to sleep in the bunk and give him one of the beds OR, if there is enough floor space, you could take the mattress off of the bunk at night for him to sleep on the floor.

Not sure if the pack n plays are different depending on the ship but we took our daughter just over a year ago (she was 1.5 at the time) on Enchantment and it was plenty big. I thought it was the same size as the one we have at home. We did bring our own sheet and her favorite blanket to cover up with but it worked out great for us.

We're going again in a couple of weeks (she'll be 3 in a few months) and have no concern about using it again.

Edited by CruisinQueen2013