Condition of The Infinity?

cruzemaven

We are booked on this ship for an Alaskan cruise this summer. I just read this member's review and it described the ship to be in poor condition. I know that you may not necessarily get a true picture of the condition of a ship from a few reviews...but I found this one worrisome.

The reviewer wrote:" The ship is in bad need of refurbishment. A lot of the metal outside was badly rusted, so that a large portion of the metal was gone (they painted over most of the rust). Frankly I was worried when I looked at some of the rails, that if you leaned on them, you might fall overboard. There is a LOT of mold onboard, and as a result, there were many (50%) on the ship with a bad cough, which cleared up when you went ashore."

We are taking our grandson on this ship...should I be concerned? Hopefully, this review was an exaggeration?

We are booked on this ship for an Alaskan cruise this summer. I just read this member's review and it described the ship to be in poor condition. I know that you may not necessarily get a true picture of the condition of a ship from a few reviews...but I found this one worrisome.

The reviewer wrote:" The ship is in bad need of refurbishment. A lot of the metal outside was badly rusted, so that a large portion of the metal was gone (they painted over most of the rust). Frankly I was worried when I looked at some of the rails, that if you leaned on them, you might fall overboard. There is a LOT of mold onboard, and as a result, there were many (50%) on the ship with a bad cough, which cleared up when you went ashore."

We are taking our grandson on this ship...should I be concerned? Hopefully, this review was an exaggeration?

Does anyone really worry about rust on a cruise?

I would worry if I saw multiple reviews that said....

A) Service was terrible.

B) The ship ran out of food and alcohol.

C) Mold was everywhere.

Since that is not the case, I'm sure you will be fine. ;)

I just spent 16 days on the Constellation and have another 9 days booked for Nov 2015. I have no worries for sailing on an equally older ship.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

We were on the Infinity twice last year and would not hesitate to go again.

In fact we have two more cruises booked on it

When the ship is in salt water 365 days a year it is hard not to have rust. They paint all the time. As for mold the only place you may see a little mold is in the cracks in the shower. Don't believe everything you read in reviews. You have to take them with a grain of salt.

No, I would not be concerned.

The reviewer obviously had issues with the cruise and took out their frustrations on the ship. If what the review said was true it would not be cleared to sail. The mold "everywhere" and 50% of the cruisers had hacking coughs that went away when they left the ship is a silly comment. First is the poster would have no idea of any of the facts and certainly could not know if the coughs went away.

Sort of a you cannot please everyone 100% of the time. Is the Infinity perfect - no. The Infinity is a ship that is in salt water 24/7/365. Would I sail on her? I have and would again.

Does anyone really worry about rust on a cruise?

I would worry if I saw multiple reviews that said....

A) Service was terrible.

B) The ship ran out of food and alcohol.

C) Mold was everywhere.

Since that is not the case, I'm sure you will be fine. ;)

I just spent 16 days on the Constellation and have another 9 days booked for Nov 2015. I have no worries for sailing on an equally older ship.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Let me add a clarification to my prior post..... I made an "exaggeration" for the purpose of the point I was trying to make. My comments or scenarios were not pulled from any posted review.

It takes more than reading "a couple" of reviews to have any sort of balanced perspective of what the ship is like. If you read 20 reviews and 4 have issues that concern you (and the other 16 were glowing or wonderfully positive), are you going to assume that the 4 reviews were representative? Of course not!!

We sailed on the Infinity in January. I had read these reports/posts and looked for problem areas. Our cabin and the public areas were immaculate in my opinion. The décor is not recent, but it was fine and extremely well-maintained. I saw no problems with paint, carpet, etc.

There was illness aboard but it was January and there was illness at home during this time period. I imagine people bring it aboard every cruise. A number of people on our land tour got ill in Peru before boarding....not to be blamed on the Infinity.

I would not hesitate to sail on the Infinity again.

I think its a valid point for a poster to ask what the condition is of the ship. If you look at the reviews its only showing 70%+ as favourable. Thats not a great percentage in my book.

We haven't sailed on Millenium class ships and one of the reasons is the mixed reviews. When spending thousands of dollars for one cruise you have to take everything into consideration.

We were on the infinity the first cruise in January, and it was lovely! The service was wonderful, the staff was friendly, the food tasted great and the ship was in good condition. Is it brand new? Nope, but it was clean and well cared for.

My parents are avid Crystal cruisers and are VERY picky. They only cruise on Celebrity when they are with us. I wasn't concerned when they joined us on a Solstice class ship (& they did love it!) but I was very concerned before we went to Alaska together on the Millennium last summer. I had read reviews saying that the ship was shabby and in disrepair. As it turned out, it was absolutely fine. No fraying carpet, no stained drapes or upholstery that I saw. Both ships have a little chipped paint and rust on the exterior, but they were always working on it, and it certainly didn't impact the enjoyment of either cruise in the slightest! Even my picky (did I mention that they are VERY picky?) : ) parents had no complaints.

The Millennium class are a great size and are truly beautiful ships. I love having the shiny bells & whistles of the Solstice class ships on some trips, and the warmth of the Millennium class ships on others. A little variety is good! : )

So original poster, please don't worry about the Infinity. Enjoy Alaska and look at all the beauty around you! ....not for imperfections, because you can always find them if you look hard enough, no matter where you are.

I've been on Infinity in the past and am sailing her again in April. "Older ship" almost seems funny to me -- Infinity first sailed in 2001 and has had several overhauls since. Celebrity pays hundreds of millions of dollars for each ship, do you think they going to neglect the investment? If they do, they keep it pretty well hidden. Sure, there are times when you'll see worn carpet or thinning fabric on the seating, but you see that in great restaurants and five-star hotels at times, too. The more I read these reviews the more skeptical I become about many of them, because it seems that too many reviewers are out with their magnifying glasses looking for something to criticize, rather than enjoying the overall vibe (or not) and reporting on that.

Gordylad -

I think your post is a bit out of line. If the post about mold everywhere and ships rails being unsafe was true then the USCG and USPHS would have shut the ship down. Seriously - how could any cruise ship sail with unsafe conditions and mold contamination?

As to not sailing on these ships because of the reviews? Hmmmmm. Ratings are about 10% less than Solstace class ships. The reason is very simple. These are smaller with fewer fancy shops and restaurants. They have less stuff like a glass blowing exhibition or a rock climbing wall. They are clean with nice cabins and a crew that will work to accomodate your every wish. I note we have sailed on 3 or the 4 Millenium class ships and had no issues with any. 2 Solstace class and the only issue there was some construction of a new dining room during the cruise.

Dedlaw is right on. Do you not think Celebrity wanted to get something for the tens of millions it has spent to renew and update these ships? Bet I can find a problem or two or three on a brand new ship - maybe more because they need to work out the kinks.

We had a great cruise on Connie and are looking forward to Infinity. Connie was well maintained and clean. Excellent staff and management.

Older M class ships are not as flashy as S class but have great amenities like heated T pool and a cozier ambiance. We thought Tuscan on Connie was the best Tuscan, loved the layoutof BLU and of course Ocean Liners....

Happy Cruising..enjoy M class before they too are gone!,,

I was on the same Connie TA with Walter and echo his sentiments. Sure there was a little rust here or there and I'm sure the railings could be refinished every 3 months to ensure pristine condition. However, the cruise was an immense enjoyment. I used to worry obsessively about negative cruise reviews but every one I ever read on ships I subsequently cruised on turned out to be false from my perspective.

People have individual bad experiences for one reason or another and tend to paint a broad brush and blame the ship/crew. Admittedly I haven't cruised 100 times, but in the cruises I have been on, and it's been quite a bit in the pst two years, my only negative experiences have been related to other passenger behavior and not the crew or ship.

Hi,

I would not be too concerned about negative reviews on the condition of a ship. I have taken cruises on ships after reading reviews complaining about poor maintenance. In every case, the ship was fine and I did not notice any major problems. Of course, the ships aren't perfect because they are exposed to the weather and are subject to the wear and tear of thousands of people. However, the cruise lines usually do an excellent job of maintaining the ships.

Chuck

Sailed on the Infinity in January. Paid attention specifically because I had hear some comments. Some cracked and peeling wood in the MDR, a stip of laminate off from our desk, rust on our balcony railing and floor drain. Many of the windows around the ship (MDR and other places) seemed to have rust in out of the way places.

Half way through, without us saying anything, they came around and painted the rust on our balcony. Did having it rusty lower our experience any? No. Did having it fixed raise our experience any? Maybe. Or maybe I was just feeling particularly happy from the paint fumes. Even though the weather was somewhat cold, I spent a lot of relaxing hours on the balcony watching the world go by.

Overall the ship looked good, although not sparkling new. Really I can't see how they can fix everything when kids bang into the walls and dent the metal trim here and there. Nothing so bad that it really diminished my enjoyment of the trip.

I sailed on the Infinity at the end of Sept. It was very clean and we found it to be in great shape. Our cabin was immaculate , public areas were well kept, public bathrooms kept super clean and dining room was great and food was excellent. Enjoy your trip .

We sailed the Infinity last May in the British Isles .

We are booked on the Infinty for a 12 day Alaskan cruise.

If there was a problem we would be traveling on anther ship.

The only downside--my preference-- the Solstice style open cafeteria set-up.

Hope you enjoy your sailing .

Everything in life has a down side--It's more enjoyable to concentrate on the POSITIVE. Those are the memories you want to keep.

That's how Veterans survive!!

Viet Nam '67-'69

I was on the Infinity February 1-15 2015. I had to leave the ship because our cruise was over and we had to come home. I hate that! I loved the ship, saw no issues with it, and can't wait for my next chance to spend time onboard. One thing that impressed me: given our route, we had cold weather, pool was closed. So crew were out by the pool stripping and refreshing the varnish on the woodwork. Maintenance on a salt-water ship is never ending and Infinity seems to take it seriously. Do you have room in your cabin to take me with you to Alaska?

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently on the Infinity and found NONE of the things this reviewer mentioned. That this is almost their only post and other reveiws said things were fine I would completely disregard the review. Many of the comments like 50% having a cough that went away once off the ship are plainly silly.

Have any of you been in Cabin 9050 or one on deck 9? I've read the overhang from deck 10 is bothersome. What do you think? We are booked for Around the Horn Jan. 2016. Thanks June

They overhang is only a problem if you want sun on your balcony. It pretty much gives you full time shade, no matter which side of the ship you are on.