RCCL prices higher than On-Line Sellers

RickT

I had thought (and seen) that RCCL's policy was that on-line sellers could not sell cruises for less than RCCL. For a year or two I never saw a difference in prices (sometimes saw the on-line seller throwing in some minor freebies). Just this week I've seen two reputable (IMHO) on-line sellers offering prices approx 20% lower than RCCL. The prices are such that I can book through them including air for less than I can through RCCL.

I've contacted RCCL and the sellers and no errors in eithers price. I'll be off to book my cruise but wondered if anyone else had seen this. Very odd if you ask me. I'd prefer to book direct (or with my regular TA) but the price difference is too much to ignore.

Is this 20 percent lower price on every RCCL cruise or just the one you are looking to book? If it's on all RCCL cruises then you have something, otherwise it is most likely what RDeagazio said, a group booking where they already bought cabins at the lower price and then prices went up to what they currently are right now.

If their prices are 20 percent lower on ALL sailings, please tell us where?

Jimbo:)

Our TA always beats RCCL prices sometimes over 20%. Her group buys large blocks of cabins at super prices and they sell them off as they want. The closer to sail time the cheaper those rooms get. TA's always have favors owed by RCCL and have access to upgrades as a reward for booking. Shopping and looking around is the key.

Bill

Is this 20 percent lower price on every RCCL cruise or just the one you are looking to book? If it's on all RCCL cruises then you have something, otherwise it is most likely what RDeagazio said, a group booking where they already bought cabins at the lower price and then prices went up to what they currently are right now.

If their prices are 20 percent lower on ALL sailings, please tell us where?

Jimbo:)

Can't say Jimbo as I'm only looking at one right now. I'll take a peek and see if others are also cheaper. Either way I'll take the savings that are offered..

I am also interested in who these agents are. I have been looking at a specific cruise next year and found only one online TA who offered lower prices than RCCL on that cruise. Wasn't crazy about the agent I spoke with as she told me they don't do price adjustments because no one could EVER beat their price. Don't believe in absolutes. Would love other options. Thanks!

Dawn

I think I'm not allowed to name the web-sites but I'll give a hint or two. One is very big about Travel and City. The other is all about how I cruise. Took the plunge and booked yesterday. In Canadian dollars they saved over $700 per person. I triple checked with RCCL and two local TA none of which could come close.

I wound up booking with the first one simply because they also have a Canadian web site. I'm now looking at these sites for a Baltic cruise next summer. So far the prices are the same as RCCLs.

I think I'm not allowed to name the web-sites but I'll give a hint or two. One is very big about Travel and City. The other is all about how I cruise. Took the plunge and booked yesterday. In Canadian dollars they saved over $700 per person. I triple checked with RCCL and two local TA none of which could come close.

I wound up booking with the first one simply because they also have a Canadian web site. I'm now looking at these sites for a Baltic cruise next summer. So far the prices are the same as RCCLs.

Rick- I find that first one interesting as everytime I have looked at it for specific sailings, it is significantly more expensive that RCI/my ta (which are the same price). I do like however, the Canadian dollar feature and how they show what cabins are available and how much to upgrade. I will keep watching them and others though 'cause you never know when you are going to find a deal.

Cheers,

Hi Rick. Finally doing Brilliance? You will like the Seaview cafe and the hot wings. We are actually booked on Serenade, 11 nights Hawaii to Ensenada, for Oct. 06. We decided that we really like the Radiance class. And we are sailing Mariner at the end of this month.

And we are possibly looking at Vision, Seattle to Alaska, next Spring. What did you think of the ship? :)

Rick, what ship and what time frame are you looking to book? Inquiring minds want to know........... :D

Carol,

If you are looking to book the Baltic next year, we are headed out of Harwich on May 14th. We are actually on the Jewel from FLL on the 30th of April, then staying aboard to enjoy the Baltic.

So, you are invited to one of our cabin parties, if you are aboard one of the above mentioned cruises!

Let me know your schedule!

Rick (I think it's the other Rick!):D

Rick, I would LOVE to cruise with you and your group some time! I just KNOW, as I think you do, that we'd have a great time together.

For the time being, however, I am a wage slave, and a slave to the school year calendar. I have one in college and one a senior in high school, so there's no retirement in *my* near future!

Carol

To PBHunt, yup, finally looks like I'm doing the Brilliance... but you never know. I was booked on her before and changed my mind. Regarding the Vision I think you'll like her. I have a fond place in my Heart for the vision class ships as my first cruise was on the Rhapsody. As long as you keep in mind that she is a little smaller and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the new ships I think you'll be happy.

To the others... I was able to speak to a live person to firm up the reservation and ask a few questions just to make sure I was comparing apples to apples. I was able to chose the specific cabin I wanted and their web site showed the cost to move up the various categories. Nice feature. To really make my day they are throwing in an iPod shuffle. Not that I need one but what the heck.

If anyone sees a good deal on Baltic cruises for July 2006...LET ME KNOW!!!

Take care.

your right, for that cruise the price is staggeringly different. A cabin is $1400 cdn less with them. Plus a free IPod to boot.

I looked at our upcoming cruises but saw only about a $100 total per cabin difference. This will come from the exchange rate, their website shows an approximate canadian price but they still bill you in US dollars.

"The amount of your cruise will be charged in U.S. Dollars (USD). Below you will see the price of your cruise in Canadian Dollars (CAD) and it's equivalent in United States Dollars (USD). Due to exchange rates, the CAD amount should only be used as an estimate as it may not be exactly the same as what is charged to your account."

the exchange rate used right now for RCI and celebrity on US to CDN is about 1.24 but the actual exchange given by credit card companies is about 1.20 - 1.21 right now hence the small difference. RCI sets the rate and only revisits it twice a year unless there is a large spike up.

still you got an amazing pricing for yours, wish the March 06/2006 brilliance cruise had that difference

Archived