Transferring from cruise ship to hotel in Venice

CenTexGal

For those of you that have ended a cruise in Venice, did you find it difficult to get from the ship terminal to the hotel? With new new regulations (ban) on wheeled suitcases, we are concerned. I emailed our hotel for recommendations and they offered to set up transportation from the ship to the dock at the hotel, for a mere 200Euros for the two of us...one way. Needless to say, that isn't happening. Am I making this harder than it needs to be? I'm understanding that water taxis don't take luggage or at least it is limited. Would love to hear from others on what they did.

Thanks!!

The wheeled luggage ban isn't happening.

I've never experienced problems getting around Venice with my luggage, but then again, I don't overpack. I travel with one wheeled case and a daypack or shoulder tote.

Where are you staying? Maybe consider changing to a hotel that is more convenient.

Edited by mapleleaves

I think the ban has been elimated so that's not an issue. Where is your hotel? The water taxi from the pier should only be €100 unless the hotel is in some odd spot.

The alternative is to walk several hundred yards to the People Mover, and take that to Piazzale Roma, where you can get the water taxi (vaporetto) but I wouldn't take luggage of any size on it. They tend to be very crowded in that location and there's no room to store the bags. Very awkward with baggage imo.

Another option, depending on the location of your hotel, is Alilaguna, which is kind of a cross between the two. You can buy your tickets right at the luggage claim area and I believe it's about €15. They go to St. Mark's Square and maybe one or two other locations. They have luggage storage on board and somebody to help you with your luggage.

Our hotel is Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli on the Gran Canal adjacent to Church of San Stae. Looks like the Orange line of the Alilaguna runs to the church, but the blue line runs from the ship terminal. If we are on the blue line, do we just change when we get to an intersection with the Orange line. Can we get tickets at the cruise terminal?

Thanks for all your help!

Our hotel is Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli on the Gran Canal adjacent to Church of San Stae. Looks like the Orange line of the Alilaguna runs to the church, but the blue line runs from the ship terminal. If we are on the blue line, do we just change when we get to an intersection with the Orange line. Can we get tickets at the cruise terminal?

Thanks for all your help!

Ugh, never heard of transferring on Alilaguna so I can't answer that. There IS a vaporetto stop at San Stae, so that may be your best option, but it will be cumbersome and have multiple stages. It looks like a nice hotel, just a little difficult to get to from the port. . .I think I'd do a water taxi and arrive in style!!

You can get tickets for the water taxi and Alilaguna at the dock.

Here's one last thought. Maybe you could find someone on your roll call who is staying along the Gran Canal and share the water taxi with them? That is allowed, could possibly be a small surcharge if the two stops are not close to each other.

Since your hotel is on the Canal, just take a water taxi from the pier to hotel. You can book it yourself avoid the middleman fees / commission your hotel is charging. A water taxi can easily hold a group of 6. When I plugged in the info, the rate was 85E. Might be higher for 6 but certainly won't be 200E

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/

Edited by mapleleaves

Oh!!!! That changes everything!!! Definitely take a water taxi, they hold six and will take you from dock to door. They come right up to the baggage claim area. You don't even need to prebook, but it's not a bad idea.

Once you get going, if the weather is nice you can slide open the roof from the back of the cabin and actually a couple of people can stand up. DH and I did it all the way to our hotel, we had a ball. So happy this got resolved. I feel much better!

Edited by CathyCruises

With 6 of you, water TAXI is the only way to go. Note vaporettos and and alilaguna are water buses.

If you prebook, you don't get aspecific taxi- you get a voucher. The same thing happens when you don't prebook. You go to the water taxi desk and they call up a taxi for you. The price is 85 euros plus maybe a small surcharge for extra luggage.

http://www.veniceforvisitors has all the details you need. or go to http://www.motoscafivenezia.it

Edited by Earl Rosebery

I agree; with 6, water taxi works! However, just wanted to add that to take Alilaguna (which allows plenty of luggage) from one place on the island to anotheris 7 or 8 euros. It's only 15 euros if you're going to (or from) the airport.

There is an additional charge for baggage coming from the port. Also in the OPs case Alilaguna won't get them to their hotel

We are staying here post cruise - San Polo, 1612, 30125 Venezia, Italy. What transporation do you suggest for us (2 people)? Thanks in advance.

what is the name of the hotel? Most hotel web sites provide information on transportation options.

Can you easily manage your luggage to walk a few blocks and over a bridge or 2?

We are staying here post cruise - San Polo, 1612, 30125 Venezia, Italy. What transporation do you suggest for us (2 people)? Thanks in advance.

It looks like you have two basic choices. You can take the water taxi for about €80 direct from the port. Or you can roll your luggage to the people mover and pay about a euro and take that to Piazzale Roma. From there you can get on Vaporetto number one or number two and it looks like the closets stop will be Rialto Mercato. You'll then have to walk a couple of blocks and cross a couple of bridges. I would be sure to take a detailed map showing how to get there from the vaporetto stop.

If it were me, I would not consider taking any significant amount of luggage onto vaporetto number one or number two (although I would and have on less crowded outer lines). They are very crowded and are not set up for luggage. But if you feel you can handle your luggage to get to the people mover, on and off the vaporetto, and to your hotel, this is definitely the cheapest option.

Thanks Cathy! There are six of us in our group all going to the same hotel. I'm sure we will figure it out. We have six months to get a plan together:p

Well the water taxi is not per person, so that is probably the way to go.

Locanda Poste Vecie is the name of the hotel

The directions on the hotel web site are as cathycruises suggested, with the addition of the People Mover to get from the pier to Piazzale Roma. At PRoma you walk about 2 blocks to the Grand Canal and catch the vaporetto.

If you have too much luggage for the vaporeto you could use the Left Luggage facility at P Roma and just take an overnight bag to the hotel.

HOW TO REACH US

If you come from Piazzale Roma or from the Train Station “Venezia Santa Lucia”

Catch the Vaporetto, line n°1, Rialto direction, and get off the pier of Rialto fish market. Once you get off, go straight passing the archway , then turn right. After 200 meters you’ll arrive at the fish market, go through it, and turn left on “Calle delle Beccarie”. When you’ll arrive at “Campo delle Beccarie” you will find a little bridge on your right, cross it and continue in Calle delle Beccarie (a very narrow street), you will find the sign “Locanda Poste Vecie”, turn right and we are there.