From the states to Europe. Which airline?

hospsafe

Wow. Sorry 'bout that. I've had nothing but good experiences with AF. Before Delta got their lay-flat seats, if I had a choice, I'd choose AF. The one thing about AF is that they do have a reputation for changing seats around if you didn't book directly with them (like as a DL codeshare). As a seasoned traveler, you do know that the airlines are not obligated to provide you with the seat you book, just a seat. But, it does suck when you choose that nice window/aisle combo and get the aisle/middle… Like you disgust with AF, mine is with AA for almost the same reasons...

I did book direct with AF, cash tickets. There was no meal until a meager breakfast on the outbound flight (yogurt and a croissant) and the food was inedible in the inbound. Also the seats were so hard that I sat on my pillow the entire way.

I was in PE, and not expecting. business or first experience, but it was worse than any domestic economy flight I've ever taken. If you've ever been in one of the ancient turboprops that Wisconsin Air must have gotten from Allegheny 40 years ago, that's not so far off from how hard those seats on AF were. For eight hours rather than the 30 minutes on a regional.

The same equipment was used in both directions--and in 10 days they couldn't manage to fix the broken seat and lav. Seriously incompetent.

I'm in BA First later this week, first time in that product. Having heard some horror stories lately I'm not holding my breath, but it can't be worse than AF was.

Edited by ducklite

I did book direct with AF, cash tickets. There was no meal until a meager breakfast on the outbound flight (yogurt and a croissant) and the food was inedible in the inbound. Also the seats were so hard that I sat on my pillow the entire way.

I was in PE, and not expecting. business or first experience, but it was worse than any domestic economy flight I've ever taken. If you've ever been in one of the ancient turboprops that Wisconsin Air must have gotten from Allegheny 40 years ago, that's not so far off from how hard those seats on AF were. For eight hours rather than the 30 minutes on a regional.

The same equipment was used in both directions--and in 10 days they couldn't manage to fix the broken seat and lav. Seriously incompetent.

I'm in BA First later this week, first time in that product. Having heard some horror stories lately I'm not holding my breath, but it can't be worse than AF was.

I think I flew one of those props when they were WITH Allegheny and I lived in PA...

My next TATL flight is Alitalia in Magnifica class (their Business class). Hard product seems similar to DL - the lie flats. I'm curious to see how the meals turn out, as I've heard good things about the food and wine. But, for low-level award found late, I'll be fine.

Agree with you concerning AF. Not an airline we consider in our plans either.

Hugely overblown most likely. I've flown BA F in the last month and flown F with them about 50 times in the last 10yrs. Can't say I've ever had a bad flight in F on BA and have flown longhaul F on some of the best carriers out there. Some BA flights are better than others but I believe crew have a big part to play in that.

The worst thing that happened on my last flight....I drank them out of all three champagnes onboard by the time we were an hour from JFK and I had to suffer the indignity of Club World champagne for 60mins.

Edited by fbgd

Hugely overblown most likely. I've flown BA F in the last month and flown F with them about 50 times in the last 10yrs. Can't say I've ever had a bad flight in F on BA and have flown longhaul F on some of the best carriers out there. Some BA flights are better than others but I believe crew have a big part to play in that.

The worst thing that happened on my last flight....I drank them out of all three champagnes onboard by the time we were an hour from JFK and I had to suffer the indignity of Club World champagne for 60mins.

LOL! The horrors! I am looking forward to drinking my share of Grand Siecle. ;)

Thanks for the kind note, I am hoping that my experience is positive. :)

Oh, the Humanity!!!

And, of course, you filed for cash compensation due to the intolerable conditions you had to endure.

:D

All three? That's not bad going.

The closest I've got to that is when our cabin collectively cleaned out the normal First champagne before takeoff and we had to drink Club champagne in the air. But this was in the days when there were only two on board, and as it was a night flight everyone went to sleep immediately after takeoff anyway.

All three? That's not bad going.

The closest I've got to that is when our cabin collectively cleaned out the normal First champagne before takeoff and we had to drink Club champagne in the air. But this was in the days when there were only two on board, and as it was a night flight everyone went to sleep immediately after takeoff anyway.

Was a first time for me! I think they can't have had much of the guest champagnes...cabin was only about half full I'd say and I didn't see others drinking around me, although I enjoyed the LPGS for most of the journey :)

Edited by fbgd

That is disappointing. A few years back I had a misconnection when on an international F itinerary and was told that my only option was to fly economy and connect through FRA. I practically keeled over, and then the agent found another non-stop flight with F availability.

You guys needed to take the BA flight from KWI to LHR during the Iraq War. LOTS of US and UK contractors using that flight. F and J were PACKED. Very rarely could you get an upgrade. That is one reason I started flying Etihad, Qatar and Gulf Air out of KWI. Think miles are hard to use on other routes-almost an impossibility on that one when the war was going on no matter what your status. Security contractors were paid $1000+ per day, electricians-over $70 per hour (and working at least 72 hours per week, with 32 of that being overtime at 1.5). LOTS of money floating around to pay for those expensive seats. I wouldn't doubt it if that was one of BA's most profitable routes at the time.

Once Kuwait airspace was cleared, the booze came out. By the time the plane landed 6.5 hours later, you were darn lucky to able to find a bottle of water. There was literally NO BOOZE left of any kind. I even saw big rough and tumble guys drinking Bailey's, when the champagne, scotch, vodka and bourbons ran out. Beer was gone within the first hour. The FA didn't care at all that there were a lot of pretty drunk guys on that plane as long as they didn't get rowdy. They knew these guys had been in the war zones getting shot at a lot of the time, mostly without a drink of any kind for at least 6 months. And the pilots were so very, very kind to all of us. A lot of thank you's both boarding and leaving and it was NOT to say thank you for flying BA.

Always kind of felt sorry for those in the back of the bus. They had a very loud flight-no one slept-everyone talking, meeting old friends and telling stories. Coach probably didn't get many drinks. But they had plenty of food. I can remember being in first and I think only three of us had food. I wouldn't doubt it if some of those in coach if they asked got fancier meals and lots of snacks that they normally wouldn't have gotten.