Cruise Ships in Mediterranean - Article About ISIS

Carol From California

Well I wasn't worried up until now. In fact, hadn't even considered the possibility. My husband and I have booked our first cruise ever in May in the Mediterranean ( Venice to Barcelona) and now I'm worried. I was getting really excited and now I'll probably spend more time worrying than I should. I thought this site would give me lots of great tips and suggestions on cruising and I could use it to build up the excitement of our very first cruise. Now I'm not so sure.

This is exactly why I responded to the OP! It is inciting fear. Makes my blood boil because, in fact, there has been some type of terrorist activity going on in Europe for decades. Northern Ireland, Basques, Spanish separatists, I could go on...yet people still flocked there. It is illogical. There have been bombings in London, we still went. There is a greater threat of a maniacal act of random shooting at any Mall in America. We go about our lives.

What is different this time, this year? The sensationalism of a beheading by an Islamic terrorist. Brutal? Yes. Any different than being executed with a gun? No. But they know how to creep us out, how to get to us and how to use fear to wreak havoc. The aim is to weaken our spirit, to intimidate us, to make us FEAR them.

Worse is that fear mangers be they media or politically motivated people who want to manipulate us using that fear. And also racists who want nothing more than to convince us that there is an authentic reason for hate. Personally, I think the Western Med is a much safer place this summer than Northern Europe's growing racist climate.

I personally respect everyone's comments. For us, the ports are most important. We are not hesitating at all to go to Europe as it is true, we could be involved in "something" at any moment here or anywhere.

What I am afraid of is, out of an abundance of caution, the cruise line changing ports at the last minute, or for that matter when we are on the cruise. This particular trip is very important, but there are three different ports that we do not wish to miss. If they changed ports right after the final payment..that is not a problem. It is a problem if they changed them close to the embarkation date.

For this reason, we are thinking of changing this in to a land tour. Although the things we want to do are quite a distance apart..we have done some by using a driver, or in the case of Sicily, we do use private jets within Europe, so we could get one over there and then back to Rome when we were able to come home.

This might be a better way, under the circumstances.

Conversely, I have read today that Isis is talking of threatening "shopping malls" here in America! LOL...I shop on line!

There is always another way to do something.

If the fear of what could happen is enough to stop one from doing something, that would leave very little for anyone to do! Drive, fly, swim, eat, ski are just a few of the activities that have some inherent risk if not outright danger, and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the possibilities: car crashes, plane crashes, sharks, food poisoning, avalanches- all are possible; however, I doubt very many of us would stop doing these things, if we loved doing them, because of that possibility. And in today's world, running a marathon, going to the movies or having coffee at a cafe' can also prove to be deadly. We can't stop living our lives because we are afraid something bad might happen. Yes, bad stuff happens, but it doesn't mean it will happen and the odds are in our favor that it won't. I wouldn't cancel a planned trip because there is a possibility of an attack - sadly, nowadays, there is a possibility of an attack wherever we go and I refuse to live my life in fear. That doesn't mean I'll go looking for trouble, but fear of the possible won't be what determines my choices of what I will do or where I will go.

However, if a possibility of danger becomes a probability of danger, well then, that's a different story!:eek:

Thanks for starting this thread. Nothing better than stirring up some fear in folks.

Agree with this post. Also agree with the post re the fact that we are more likely to be killed in a car but we don't hesitate to go in one.

We cruised from Dubai to Athens via the Middle East in 2011 and while we had armed military security on board I felt very safe. We got off at every port and enjoyed that cruise immensely. We are now booked on a West African cruise where there is a threat of Ebola and I won't be cancelling that one either nor the two Med cruises prior to it.

Oceania will look after us and won't take us anywhere that is unsafe. I believe that a cruise is by far the safest way to travel.

I for one will never allow my travels to be stopped by rumors of terrorism. Actual acts are another thing. However Libya was once a source piracy and an American president knew exactly how to handle the problem. Perhaps the words of a famous song will remind us how these situations must be handled by the world.

From the Halls of MontezumaTo the shores of Tripoli;We fight our country's battles

This is exactly why I responded to the OP! It is inciting fear. Makes my blood boil because, in fact, there has been some type of terrorist activity going on in Europe for decades. Northern Ireland, Basques, Spanish separatists, I could go on...yet people still flocked there. It is illogical. There have been bombings in London, we still went. There is a greater threat of a maniacal act of random shooting at any Mall in America. We go about our lives.

What is different this time, this year? The sensationalism of a beheading by an Islamic terrorist. Brutal? Yes. Any different than being executed with a gun? No. But they know how to creep us out, how to get to us and how to use fear to wreak havoc. The aim is to weaken our spirit, to intimidate us, to make us FEAR them.

Worse is that fear mangers be they media or politically motivated people who want to manipulate us using that fear. And also racists who want nothing more than to convince us that there is an authentic reason for hate. ...

Great post! +100 I for one will be in Paris in October as well as Egypt, on a river cruise. There are dangers everywhere, and I go with eyes open.

For this reason, we are thinking of changing this in to a land tour....

Conversely, I have read today that Isis is talking of threatening "shopping malls" here in America! LOL...I shop on line!

I can't imagine a land tour would be much safer than a cruise, but I agree if these ports are important to you that a land tour would be much better for you--I find cruises are only good at "touching" on a place, not doing an in-depth visit.

But your remark about the mall threats is specious--"oh, I'm not worried about threats in the U.S. because I shop online?"--really??

I recently cancelled my Regent Navigator cruise Apr 2016 because I did not think the ship suited us and lo and behold, my favorite ship the Riviera has a better itinerary for the Adriatic and all of my special ports I am longing to see. We do disembark in Istanbul and I discussed this with my TA because it made me a bit nervous, but she reassured me we will be OK and now I just have to wait until March 4 to book and Aug 31, 2016 for the cruise. We are excited!

I can't imagine a land tour would be much safer than a cruise, but I agree if these ports are important to you that a land tour would be much better for you--I find cruises are only good at "touching" on a place, not doing an in-depth visit.

I can think of one way that makes a land tour -- at least independent travel -- safer than a cruise. A cruise ship is a bigger, splashier target compared to a couple on an independent land trip. A group land trip -- as proven by some incidents targeting bus load of tourists in Egypt some years ago -- is a splashier target compared to individual travelers but, again, less headline grabbing than a cruise ship.

My husband and I recently became grandparents for the first time, and I'd hate to think of the years of pleasure we'd miss if we became victims of a terrorist attack. However, we've lived very full lives and our wills are up to date.

This summer, we're combining two weeks of independent travel with a cruise. One port is the scene of a recent terrorist attack and one is in a country with very strained relations with the US. My husband and I have briefly thought about our upcoming plans, but right now, the positives remain very, very real and very knowable. In contrast, the negatives are only vague possibilities.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I think the Italian Ministry of Defense needs to worry more about Costa Captains than Isis.

As for travel to Middle East -- there are no cruises to Yemen. And I feel safer in Oman, KSA, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Israel etc.. than I do in Fort Pierce Florida. All places I frequent.

Edited by PaulMCO

Oh for pete's sake.

The article that started this fear-fest is from Breitbart. This "news" site perpetuates the conspiracy theory that the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax. Well I'm FROM Newtown, and happen to know FIRSTHAND that it wasn't a hoax. So to come on here and see someone posting a link from that site makes me ill. But irrespective of the source of the article...

Safety is a problem world wide and if the fear mongers convince you to stay home they win.

The Mall of America was just threatened so you don't have to leave the US to have these threats. If the cruiseline believes it is not safe for their ships to be in an area they will remove them. Give in and you loose!

EXACTLY! There has been unrest and terrorism in more places around the world than there hasn't been. If you limit yourself to ONLY places where nothing like that *might* happen, you may as well just stay home.

We just returned from a 3-week trip to Bali, Indonesia. As many people will remember, there were some terrorist bombings in nightclubs there some years back...and the tourism trade plummeted. It's finally coming back, but I also spent 3 weeks there back in 2007. I also travel to NY, and fly on airplanes.

I don't allow fear to dictate my travels. Naturally I wouldn't place myself in an active war zone...but the Mediterranean is certainly not an active war zone.

Worse is that fear mangers be they media or politically motivated people who want to manipulate us using that fear. And also racists who want nothing more than to convince us that there is an authentic reason for hate. Personally, I think the Western Med is a much safer place this summer than Northern Europe's growing racist climate.

Thank you for your voice of reason.

Leejnd4:

I am no big fan of Breitbart, but your comment that they have taken the position that Sandy Hook was a hoax is totally FALSE. I just did a search on their website. No such article, ever. Their position is that nearly ten minutes went by before the shooter was met with armed resistance, which eventually stopped him...but not soon enough. Agree or disagree with this point, it's not the same as charging a hoax, like some idiots do about the moon landings.

As far as this particular news story from Breitbart, it's useful to know the information but I agree that alone it is not a reason to forgo a cruise.

Leejnd4:

I am no big fan of Breitbart, but your comment that they have taken the position that Sandy Hook was a hoax is totally FALSE. I just did a search on their website. No such article, ever. Their position is that nearly ten minutes went by before the shooter was met with armed resistance, which eventually stopped him...but not soon enough. Agree or disagree with this point, it's not the same as charging a hoax, like some idiots do about the moon landings.

As far as this particular news story from Breitbart, it's useful to know the information but I agree that alone it is not a reason to forgo a cruise.

ANY article that questions ANYTHING about the "official" story is perpetuating those horrific and harmful conspiracy theories. Their "position" is BS. Anyone who gives ANY credence to ANY of that is part of the problem, and just gives the nutters more grist for their mill. If you knew what my hometown continues to suffer because of these nutters, who will not leave us alone, you'd understand.

But this is way off topic, and I'm sorry I even mentioned it. Just...trust me, it's best not to discuss the Sandy Hook shooting with me. I know way more about it than you do. Please leave it at that.

I see. So first you totally misrepresent their position by falsely accusing them on this board of taking the insane position that Sandy Hook was nothing but a "hoax," and now you say you know everything about this atrocity better than anyone and therefore wish to shut down all dissent regarding what should be done in the future to minimize the risk of another Sandy Hook occurring?

Thankfully the First Amendment exists to protect us from people who believe they have a monopoly on the truth and wish to stifle any debate. You may well be right about the "facts" but this is about the best remedy to deter a future Sandy Hook, which is indeed open to reasonable debate. The best cure for "bad speech" is more speech, no matter which side you're on.

I see. So first you totally misrepresent their position by falsely accusing them on this board of taking the insane position that Sandy Hook was nothing but a "hoax," and now you say you know everything about this atrocity better than anyone and therefore wish to shut down all dissent regarding what should be done in the future to minimize the risk of another Sandy Hook occurring?

Thankfully the First Amendment exists to protect us from people who believe they have a monopoly on the truth and wish to stifle any debate. You may well be right about the "facts" but this is about the best remedy to deter a future Sandy Hook, which is indeed open to reasonable debate. The best cure for "bad speech" is more speech, no matter which side you're on.

No. I said I knew more about it than YOU do. And I stand by that. Are you from Newtown? No, you are not.

I do not wish to discuss this with you, and regret bringing it up at all. Please drop it. I'm quite sure you cannot even begin to imagine how painful it is.

Edited by Leejnd4