Cruise Ships in Mediterranean - Article About ISIS

Carol From California

The more power we give the terrorists, the more power the terrorists have! The chances of a terrorist attack on a cruise ship is very minimal. The chances of being killed in a car crash is very great, and yet we don't stop driving. People are fed fear on national media and this is the problem. I say STOP watching the fear mongering channels, start living your life for today. I would rather die in a terrorist attack in the midst of an awe inspiring, once in a lifetime cruise than to die of clogged arteries on my Lazy Boy recliner afraid to go out in world!

I would never cruise in the Middle East. I see Yemen on some itineraries and I think *** would someone want to go there for? We stopped in Caracas once and I didn't get off the boat. That was when things were pretty heated in Venezuela.

Can you post a link/info about a cruise visiting Yemen?

Yemen? I don't think so.

In Middle Eastern waters cruise ships have armed security guards on board, razor wire defences and water cannon at the ready.

When we were there a couple of years ago, the guards were on board for three or four days. They were very friendly with the guests, and not at all frightening. We saw nor terrorists or pirates. It was a Seabourn cruise and very nice it was.

At that time Egypt was on the itinerary, I don't know if it would be now.

The more power we give the terrorists, the more power the terrorists have! The chances of a terrorist attack on a cruise ship is very minimal. The chances of being killed in a car crash is very great, and yet we don't stop driving. People are fed fear on national media and this is the problem. I say STOP watching the fear mongering channels, start living your life for today. I would rather die in a terrorist attack in the midst of an awe inspiring, once in a lifetime cruise than to die of clogged arteries on my Lazy Boy recliner afraid to go out in world!

Thank you Kekilia a small voice of reason, Governments want to keep people terrified and tabloids want to sell "newspapers"

I think Nautica was once attacked in the Gulf.

regards,

Josie

Thank you Kekilia a small voice of reason, ... tabloids want to sell "newspapers"

I think Nautica was once attacked in the Gulf.

regards,

Josie

Yes, Nautica outran pirates. The cd on our cruise to the Amazon and her husband were on the cruise that was attacked. Cruise ships now hire security teams with weapons. Sailors don't carry weapons but the security does. As far as I know they also coach passengers on what to do in an attack. I was told that some people without common sense ran to the windows to see what's going on.

I have never seen Yemen on any cruise itinerary. Oman, however, is a country that travelers visit on land vacations and cruise ships stop there.

The people who feel uncomfortable overseas should not go anywhere out of the country. A vacation is not a time to be worried. We had a panicky lady on one of the tenders once because the water was not completely smooth. Her loud and repetitive verbalizations of fear really distracted from the enjoyment of the ride.

I am sorry to say that when I think about a trip one of the first things I consider is the terrorist activity around the port stops. That said I consider a cruise a very safe way to see questionable areas because of the high level of ship and port security, the fact that the cruise line does not want to endanger their ship so will stay out of places, and the fact if I feel its not safe I can stay on board. With that the med is off of my list this summer.

I see no reason to fear a western med cruise, that's silly. I wouldn't jump to book an eastern med cruise but I'm sure that would be fine as well. I'm surprised that Oceania is still stopping in Egypt on the Riviera in June however.

Breitbart is not the most reasonable or worthy news source and personally I wouldn't follow a word that comes from that site (or their journalists). Too much finger pointing. That is not news.

Cruise lines hire experts to keep aware of political and health conditions all over the world. Hopefully, they put the safety of their guests, crew and multi-million dollar ships first. I will trust the experts, not the news mongers. That is not to say that terrorism is impossible. Sadly, in our world today, it is a terrible reality, but cruise lines will not knowingly put you in harms way.

Ricki

We are booked on the June 1 cruise on the Riviera that goes to Israel and Egypt.

We are fully paid and are now rethinking this trip. This is a round trip Rome cruise and after the comment from ISIS that they will conquer Rome the entire trip is now making me nervous.

Thoughts from anyone else booked on this cruise.

At this time with so muchh going on Europe where people are attacked for numerous reasons ..perhaps Med cruises are not such a great option

Lets get real ..Isis is spreading ..no one knows how far their influence is .there are loads of young recruits everywhere ...many in unexpected areas

I for one will forego Europe this year or Turkey Or Egypt or Tunisia ...too many fish in those kettles ..or any Arab country .....

I think warnings are there for a reason ...caution to extreme caution .

I would cancel if within time limits

I plan to cancel a cruise going to Morrocco in the fall ...my Mom had a great expression ..do not buy trouble with money ...I agree

So few places are really peaceful ...so sad

Well I wasn't worried up until now. In fact, hadn't even considered the possibility. My husband and I have booked our first cruise ever in May in the Mediterranean ( Venice to Barcelona) and now I'm worried. I was getting really excited and now I'll probably spend more time worrying than I should. I thought this site would give me lots of great tips and suggestions on cruising and I could use it to build up the excitement of our very first cruise. Now I'm not so sure.

Safety is a problem world wide and if the fear mongers convince you to stay home they win.

The Mall of America was just threatened so you don't have to leave the US to have these threats. If the cruiseline believes it is not safe for their ships to be in an area they will remove them. Give in and you loose!

There are several ports that we are VERY MUCH wanting to visit again. These two cruises included two in Sicily (my husband's heritage) and there were a couple in Italy that were must-do ports. If there is more terrorist activity in Europe, of course the cruise lines will change ports for the safety of the passenger. This is something we really want to do, and we would not be uncomfortable doing this on land. For this reason we are looking in to the possibility of changing this to a land tour. We are travelers and we don't sail for the eating experience, so doing land isn't a big deal for us. Having the cruise line change ports in this instance IS a big deal. The other stop in Cinque Terre. Maybe we would be better on land for these things than on a ship. I agree with one poster--why buy trouble!

I was the original poster in this thread. I do have a Med cruise booked later this year (not on Oceania) and I am not going to cancel it. When I read the article and looked on the map and it shows how close the coast of Libya is to Italy, Greece and Turkey it did alarm me somewhat. I am not afraid to travel, and unless I hear further reports that really would make it completely unsafe to travel to this region we will not cancel our booking.

Safety is a problem world wide and if the fear mongers convince you to stay home they win.

The Mall of America was just threatened so you don't have to leave the US to have these threats. If the cruiseline believes it is not safe for their ships to be in an area they will remove them. Give in and you loose!

Agree. We live not that far from ground zero (9/11) and never have thought of moving.