I feel for everyone...

theriac

No, no. We understand.

It is part of the holiday. Just going to try to book our train back. Shall we have another night in Milan though??

Nice problem to have.

If I lived near a cruise departure port, I would never be home and I would be very, very poor.

No, no. We understand.

It is part of the holiday. Just going to try to book our train back. Shall we have another night in Milan though??

Nice problem to have.

If I lived near a cruise departure port, I would never be home and I would be very, very poor.

It's funny how you say if you lived near a cruise departure port you'd be very, very poor, but if I lived in France I would never be home and be very, very poor. It's kind of interesting how we think that way and that's what makes vacations so great. I live by the beach but when I pick where I want to go it usually never envolves beaches and people I know who live in New England only want to go to sunny places with a relaxing beach. I'm just thinking through typing right now, but I never thought of that until I read the end of your post.

We only went on our first cruise last year.

We were worried we wouldn't enjoy ourselves!

We went for the cruise. We didn't step off the ship until day five. A transatlantic would be my idea of heaven but my husband won't fly. Even looked at the merchant navy boats. Six weeks to New York? Perfect.

I have the good luck to live both here and in England. My husband is French. In the UK I live overlooking the North Sea. Here in a tiny, very pretty town. The best of both worlds. I think the problem with being descended from sea faring island folk, I have itchy feet. Always want to be off somewhere.

I fly from my home in the Middle East to Rome for my Med cruise in May.

In Sept I fly from the Middle East to Seattle for my Alaskan cruise. It will take a day almost non stop.

When I went to the Caribbean I flew to Florida.

Truth be told the travelling is a big part of the holiday for me and I dont mind it at all.

The hassle of a flight perhaps two or three times a year is bearable - but six months or so in South Florida's warm season would be the far greater hardship to me.

I am a Florida (Gulf Coast) native who just cannot abide that oppressive heat and humidity. When we retire, we plan to move back to Sarasota, Florida for the tax advantages. I am hoping that being older will mitigate some of the suffering in the hot months. We'll be doing much longer land-based traveling at that point so the biggest draw will be bigger, closer airports with more international flights.

Winter, though not long enough in Florida, nearly makes up for the heat.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Who doesn't live close to the port that they are sailing from. Being that I live in Florida the closest port is 30 minutes away and the furthest is 4 hours. I now am realizing what all of you go through in booking flights, hotels, and planning things to do for a few days precruise. I'm finally getting to Alaska this summer, and it's never really crossed my mind how much extra expense, time and energy goes into all this planning. First it's finding the right flight at times that work, then accommodation for the time in the departure city, figuring out how to get around, where to eat, and a litany of other things that come up along the way. I now understand why getting to your cruise is such a big deal to you all with everything involved. For me its always been pick a date, find someone to watch my dog, pack and show up at the port. This is really daunting making sure you're getting the best price and accommodations to fully enjoy your vacation. I just want to let you all know who don't live within reasonable driving distance to a port, that I, a spoiled Floridian now feel your pain.

Having said that I'm gonna go book a quick last minute deal for next to nothing and hop on a ship this upcoming weekend to take my mind off all this planning. WHY? Because I'm a spoiled Floridian who only lives 30 minutes from a port :D just kidding I gotta wait just like the rest of you.

One of the reasons Florida is one of our retirement destinations in another 10 years or so :D.

While I am not particularly enjoying this February in New England, and I am not happy about having to fly to a cruise port when I do cruise, I still enjoy life - and I feel for people who might live, say, within ten miles of any Florida cruise port - especially from May though October. The hassle of a flight perhaps two or three times a year is bearable - but six months or so in South Florida's warm season would be the far greater hardship to me.

One of the reasons why Florida is not our only retirement destination in about 10 years or so :D.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Going out in the sub-zero temperature to pick up the Times on our driveway this morning did test my fondness for New England - and I am glad that Florida is there since I can look forward to our March escape to Sanibel - so I am not anti-Florida: I just believe that there is a time and place for everything, and recognize that I am very fortunate to be able to choose.

The getting there and getting back is the worst part of vacation for me. We have done enough Fort Lauderdale departures that we have everything figured out, flights, lodging, food, and travel to the terminal. The only thing i need now is finding a two hour flight from Oregon to Florida, LOL. Two hours is the most i can fly now due to painful health conditions . We are taking our first CA coastal cruise next month, I'm sure we will have a blast.

I'm sure we will do more FL departures but I think they will have to be 10-14 day cruises to make the flight worth it. How wonderful for all you lucky folks who live so close to ports :-) ! Maybe someday :D

Florida can be miserable in the summer months but that's why some smart guy made A/C for homes, cars, stores, and work! I've lived in Florida my entire life and I never even go to the beach anymore. I live 5 minutes to the beach actually and I just never go there anymore. My family in Rhode Island thinks I'm crazy I don't. I tell them im freezing cause its 70 on a clear January day and they tell me how they would be soaking up the sun on the beach all day while they're dealing with feet of snow in their driveways. Worst part of Florida is the traffic we get from everyone who is not from here. It's not old people driving slow or anything like that. Its just A LOT people who don't know where they're going and flooding our streets which backs up traffic, but we also LOVE all of you because you make our economy go round!

• 1 month later...

With all due respect, you need not feel for me, who lives halfway between the two coasts, so I have to fly to Florida or California, or even all the way to Europe to get on a cruise ship. Because you know what, for me, it's worth it.

It's the coming back, no matter how long the cruise, that's the painful moment. No more . . .

someone cleaning up after you.

someone cooking your meals.

someone serving you your meals.

someone entertaining you

someone to show you new sights, that you have not seen before.

It's also painful that I have so many cruises that I want to take, that I can't take for one reason or the other.

Who doesn't live close to the port that they are sailing from. Being that I live in Florida the closest port is 30 minutes away and the furthest is 4 hours. I now am realizing what all of you go through in booking flights, hotels, and planning things to do for a few days precruise. I'm finally getting to Alaska this summer, and it's never really crossed my mind how much extra expense, time and energy goes into all this planning. First it's finding the right flight at times that work, then accommodation for the time in the departure city, figuring out how to get around, where to eat, and a litany of other things that come up along the way. I now understand why getting to your cruise is such a big deal to you all with everything involved. For me its always been pick a date, find someone to watch my dog, pack and show up at the port. This is really daunting making sure you're getting the best price and accommodations to fully enjoy your vacation. I just want to let you all know who don't live within reasonable driving distance to a port, that I, a spoiled Floridian now feel your pain.

Having said that I'm gonna go book a quick last minute deal for next to nothing and hop on a ship this upcoming weekend to take my mind off all this planning. WHY? Because I'm a spoiled Floridian who only lives 30 minutes from a port :D just kidding I gotta wait just like the rest of you.

There was a time when we had direct flights to many debarkation ports and it wasn't too bad flying. But those days are long gone.

Now we have to stay at a hotel before our flight to the departure port. Stay 2 or 3 days before the cruise. Then at the end of the cruise we have to stay overnight before flying home. And then stay at a hotel airport before driving home.

And even all the best planning that we do -- still we missed a cruise in 2014 thanks to a snow storm that shut down airports for 4 days.

If you only sail from local ports, you miss a huge part of the world unless you do a world cruise you can board and debark in Florida. It's hard to get a warm and cozy reaction from folks when you start off telling strangers you feel sorry for them. :D :D

It's no problem for us for a few reasons.

We wanted to go to Puerto Rico anyways, so we figured what a great way to start off on our cruise. Spend 3 days there first, then hop on the ship.

The bonus to that, and the 2nd reason was the flights to Puerto Rico were cheaper than they are to Florida, from Mpls. :D

The last reason was that leaving from San Juan got us started closer to the Caribbean, allowing a nice 7 day southern Caribbean cruise.

We also fly out of msp. In February 2016 we will fly to Puerto Rico and spend a couple of days before getting on the ship. Any advice on what to see or what to do (or not do) greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I actually enjoy the challenge of making the extra travel arrangements - my favorite trip was two months. Flight from LA to London, Tube to Train, Train to Dover, Taxis to B & B and to cruise port; two week cruise (Norway); taxi; trains; car rental (10 day - Wales and Central England), short flight to Belfast, car rental (7 days N. Ireland), bus, ferry, bus to Glasgow, car rental (11 days Scotland), train to London, a week of the tube, and the long flight home. It was a KICK!!!!

And I was SO proud of myself for making all the arrangements successfully.

I feel sorry for the people who cannot afford to book Business or First Class Air Tickets to get them to a very exotic port halfway around the world to start a 30 day or longer cruise that takes them to truly special places on this planet.

Quite often, the First Class Flights are even better than the cruise.

Let's see now;

Stuck in traffic on a Florida highway to try to get to a ship that has a tired old 7-day itinerary through the Caribbean with several thousand of my new best friends, stopping at several islands that are all alike, with lots of poor people selling cheap rum, T-shirts, trinkets, and illegal drugs.

OR

Flying Business or First class on an Emirates A380 to Singapore, stopping for shopping in Dubai.

Then joining a small elegant ship that is going to take me all over Asia in style for a month or two.

It is a difficult choice. Florida does have cheap fresh orange juice and Mickey Mouse, after all.

I'm going to have to vote for the Asia cruise...............................

I feel sorry for the people who cannot afford to book Business or First Class Air Tickets to get them to a very exotic port halfway around the world to start a 30 day or longer cruise that takes them to truly special places on this planet.

Quite often, the First Class Flights are even better than the cruise.

Let's see now;

Stuck in traffic on a Florida highway to try to get to a ship that has a tired old 7-day itinerary through the Caribbean with several thousand of my new best friends, stopping at several islands that are all alike, with lots of poor people selling cheap rum, T-shirts, trinkets, and illegal drugs.

OR

Flying Business or First class on an Emirates A380 to Singapore, stopping for shopping in Dubai.

Then joining a small elegant ship that is going to take me all over Asia in style for a month or two.

It is a difficult choice. Florida does have cheap fresh orange juice and Mickey Mouse, after all.

I'm going to have to vote for the Asia cruise...............................

That does sound a lot nicer, maybe when I retire I''ll be fortunate to take those long cruises but right now time is an issue and I'm maxed out at 14 days. I agree first class is worth it to book. That's how I'm flying for my Alaskan cruise, and when I sail the med next year.

As for poor people in the ports, maybe not in Dubai but a lot of those Asian ports are extremely poor areas with very poor people, so you can't say one's nice than the other. Sure in Phuket the beaches rival the Caribbean, as with the coast of Cambodia but that's a few spots. It just depends on the vacation someone wants. No need to feel sorry for anyone for picking the vacation that they wanted. What would you say to the person who's paying to go to space if they said they feel sorry for someone who only cruises Asia and "exoctic" ports.

Since you cruise Asia you should message me later this year. And I'll show you some nice spots. I'm moving to Beijing for work sometime in the fall.

In my original post I was just showing I now understand all the extra prep that goes into a cruise far away from your house, not that I feel sorry for you, but that I understand all the work that goes into taking a cruise where flights and hotels are needed.

Possibly a different tone is needed in the original post.

If you like doing the same thing year after year that I suppose its ok. It is very unlikely I will do the same cruise area twice therefore will never sail from the same port again and again. I suppose I am the adventurous type and in that respect I am lucky. For us folk over the pond it is quite wonderful to jump on a high speed train and find yourself going through different countries within a day but I digress. :D

My Husband always tells me that living in Florida would be a risk as he would wake up and I would have boarded a ship (there is some truth in that I suppose) and that would be ok for a few years or so but in the long term I prefer my location in Europe.

Each to their own I think.

Edited by Velvetwater

That does sound a lot nicer, maybe when I retire I''ll be fortunate to take those long cruises but right now time is an issue and I'm maxed out at 14 days. I agree first class is worth it to book. That's how I'm flying for my Alaskan cruise, and when I sail the med next year.

As for poor people in the ports, maybe not in Dubai but a lot of those Asian ports are extremely poor areas with very poor people, so you can't say one's nice than the other. Sure in Phuket the beaches rival the Caribbean, as with the coast of Cambodia but that's a few spots. It just depends on the vacation someone wants. No need to feel sorry for anyone for picking the vacation that they wanted. What would you say to the person who's paying to go to space if they said they feel sorry for someone who only cruises Asia and "exoctic" ports.

Since you cruise Asia you should message me later this year. And I'll show you some nice spots. I'm moving to Beijing for work sometime in the fall.

In my original post I was just showing I now understand all the extra prep that goes into a cruise far away from your house, not that I feel sorry for you, but that I understand all the work that goes into taking a cruise where flights and hotels are needed.

My ship is in Langkawi, Malaysia today. There is nothing this nice in the Caribbean.

We are in Penang, Malaysia tomorrow. There is nothing that nice in the Caribbean.

We are in Singapore the next day. There is nothing that nice in North America.

I already live in China part of the year.

My Winter house on Hainan Island is nicer than most you can find in the Caribbean - with zero crime and no taxes.