2 bottles of wine - then what?

angielane

If people keep posting about how to game the system on a public website that the company is known to read, then soon there will be no wine allowed on board anymore.

I disagree. Rum runners have been used for years and are still extremely effective when packed properly. Two adults each carrying two bottles of wine

have not had a problem as long as they go through security separately.

It is also very easy to substitute your beverage of choice into a wine bottle

and having it in your stateroom.

All tried and true methods that have been posted here and elsewhere for quite a long time. I'm just reporting the facts. Nothing is 100% guaranteed but these methods, while being well known for years, have lost none or very little of their effectiveness.

Don't judge me but I have to ask the obvious question...if my wife and I bring 2 bottles in our checked luggage and each carry one on during boarding...how can RCL know? Do they note that we carried 2 on and then match up to the checked luggage? Seems like too much work on their part and too much hassle.

Integrity is doing the right thing regardless of whether or not you will get caught/punished for if not.

why is it that when people are FINALLY given an inch( we used to not be allowed by policy at all to bring it on board period, let alone pay corkage fees) that all they want to do is run a marathon(forget a mile)?!

why the bloody hell can't be people be GRATEFUL for what they DO ALLOW and quit whinging about how it isn't enough or try and squeeze out extra?!

That is what they said.....but if they have cruised on many lines, perhaps they themselves were confusing one line with another.

My Celebrity WINE COUNTRY cruise up the coast of CA we were allowed to bring bottles aboard every port( we ourselves chose not to but it was being openly permitted)

If people keep posting about how to game the system on a public website that the company is known to read, then soon there will be no wine allowed on board anymore.

Did you see the live FOS review fro Ckrobyn where she was told RCL does not pay attention to CC

Did you see the live FOS review fro Ckrobyn where she was told RCL does not pay attention to CC

I saw that the HD on Freedom does not pay attention to CC, but there's a poster named "Royal Caribbean International" that is answering queries here on behalf of the company.

Integrity is doing the right thing regardless of whether or not you will get caught/punished for if not.

why is it that when people are FINALLY given an inch( we used to not be allowed by policy at all to bring it on board period, let alone pay corkage fees) that all they want to do is run a marathon(forget a mile)?!

why the bloody hell can't be people be GRATEFUL for what they DO ALLOW and quit whinging about how it isn't enough or try and squeeze out extra?!

Your give an inch argument didn't go back far enough. You used to be able to bring any alcohol you wanted. Then you couldn't but you could buy a bottle in the onboard store and pay a $10 fee to have it in your room.

You think this shows a lack of integrity and I think my integrity is still intact even though I break the corporations rule so that I can have an adult beverage in the stateroom I have rented when I want, how I want and with what I want. I will try and get over the hurt of you thinking my integrity has been impugned by not adhering to the corporations rule on bringing alcohol onto the ship they own and into the stateroom that I am renting from them.

I saw that the HD on Freedom does not pay attention to CC, but there's a poster named "Royal Caribbean International" that is answering queries here on behalf of the company.

And they do work for Royal Caribbean. I posted an issue last week that they helped me resolve by having someone within RCCL call me.

I am in AWE of you folks who can make 2 regular size bottles last for an entire cruise of 7 nights!!!!

See, this is where it's unfair... I'm going on a 14 day cruise and I STILL only get to bring two bottles! Imagine that, 2 bottles in 2 weeks?! That's not even a glass a day, even if it's only me that drinks it... :(

Oh well, at least it is only me that drinks it so I get the whole 2 bottles to myself! ;)

I was with a cruiser who typically does buy local wine on a port stop and brings it back on the ship....no one even questions it when re-boarding.

I would expect this is an exception. It does not disprove the rule. If you try this it *might* work, but don't be surprised or upset at them if they enforce the policy and put your wine in quarantine until the end of the cruise.

To the OP, the only thing I might add is the rule says two bottles per room, but security only checks for two bottles per person. If you know what I mean.

Yup. Take in on your carry on and enjoy. Do remember to bring a corkscrew though....our last cruise we forgot ours, or I did ...lol We just wrapped ours in whateve clothes we had in our carry-ons and they were fine.

called room service, they brought one right up and we were good to go!

We were on a family cruise last December with 5 adults, two bottles each. We did the logistics of who would bring what kind of wine onboard. My husband and I each got an extra bottle for our C&A status. We took all the white to the dining romm for our wait staff to chill. We took the reds in on the evenings we wanted, and had the chilled champagne on the last night.

Edited by pcur

I got the impression that her comment was about more than the HD. She used "they" in her quote. No matter anyway.

I'm just glad I can bring my two bottles to the dining room now without a charge. It's better than having to keep it in my cabin in a luke warm fridge and carry a glass to the diningroom every night. I guess I'm just one of those people who tries to see the good in everything.

Two per stateroom.

I'm puzzled by this, because the inspection for wine carried on board would be by the security screening who have no idea which people are in which cabin, unless they ask? Also, I thought the security screening staff were port staff and not RCCL crew members, so they wouldn't have any "skin in the game", so to speak. Perhaps they monitor according to RCCL's instructions.

When I posted above about taking 2 bottles "each", I did mean each cabin.

[quote name='pcur']I'm puzzled by this, because the inspection for wine carried on board would be by the security screening who have no idea which people are in which cabin, unless they ask? Also, I thought the security screening staff were port staff and not RCCL crew members, so they wouldn't have any "skin in the game", so to speak. Perhaps they monitor according to RCCL's instructions.

When I posted above about taking 2 bottles "each", I did mean each cabin.[/quote]
I don't recall which port, but it was reported that any guest with wine would have to go to a "wine table" where they would record the number of bottles and stateroom number.

[quote name='clarea']I don't recall which port, but it was reported that any guest with wine would have to go to a "wine table" where they would record the number of bottles and stateroom number.[/QUOTE]

Our last two cruises have been out of the port of NOLA. Neither time did they send us to a "wine table" after going through security. The last cruise was one year ago and something may have changed...guess we will find out in April on our last Serenade sailing our of NOLA (Love Serenade and easy port for us...shame that RCI is pulling out of there). :(

[quote name='clarea']I don't recall which port, but it was reported that any guest with wine would have to go to a "wine table" where they would record the number of bottles and stateroom number.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Really? I just never paid attention, because when I sail with my husband we don't take any. He's a caffeine-free Diet Coke man (or dirty water drinker, as our youngest son says).

I forgot to mention that the kids are D+, so there was that whole wine list for the free bottle to consider, too. So, when it's family cruise time it's wine with dinner every night, and we had the logistics flowchart planning going on. Living in three separate cities required a few Skype calls to get it all straightened out. Edited by pcur

[quote name='pcur']Wow! Really? I just never paid attention, because when I sail with my husband we don't take any. He's a caffeine-free Diet Coke man (or dirty water drinker, as our youngest son says).

I forgot to mention that the kids are D+, so there was that whole wine list for the free bottle to consider, too. So, when it's family cruise time it's wine with dinner every night, and we had the logistics flowchart planning going on. Living in three separate cities required a few Skype calls to get it all straightened out.[/quote]
All I can remember was that the "wine table" was not at a Florida port. Could be it was too much of a bottleneck and was discontinued.

[quote name='clarea']All I can remember was that the "wine table" was not at a Florida port. Could be it was too much of a bottleneck and was discontinued.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's one at San Juan's Pan Am pier, either. We didn't see one on 11/29, and we weren't sent to one on 12/7 when we schlepped all our wine with the family.

I have only ever seen this done on NCL. They make you declare any bottles that you are carrying on and they charge you the corkage fee upfront. Then you are allowed to drink them at any of the restaurants on the ship. Edited by RosieRoo

[quote name='RosieRoo']I have only ever seen this done on NCL. They make you declare any bottles that you are carrying on and they charge you the corkage fee upfront. Then you are allowed to drink them at any of the restaurants on the ship.[/QUOTE]

What if you are planning on drinking the wine in the stateroom only. Is the corkage fee waived?

No. On NCL if you bring it on, no matter where you drink it, you pay the fee. I think it is $15 per bottle, but you can carry on as much as you like. I have only sailed NCL a few times, but going thru security if you have it on you, they direct you right over to the desk before you even check in. At least that has been my experience. Some may have been able to sneak it on if security wasn't paying attention.

[quote name='RosieRoo']No. On NCL if you bring it on, no matter where you drink it, you pay the fee. I think it is $15 per bottle, but you can carry on as much as you like. I have only sailed NCL a few times, but going thru security if you have it on you, they direct you right over to the desk before you even check in. At least that has been my experience. Some may have been able to sneak it on if security wasn't paying attention.[/QUOTE]

That used to be the corkage fee on RCCL in any restaurant, but now they don't charge it anymore, and you have the 2 bottle allowance per cabin.

Not to be sarcastic, but another reason I would prefer to sail RCCL for those times I do bring wine on board.

[quote name='Votocel']Don't judge me but I have to ask the obvious question...if my wife and I bring 2 bottles in our checked luggage and each carry one on during boarding...how can RCL know? Do they note that we carried 2 on and then match up to the checked luggage? Seems like too much work on their part and too much hassle.[/QUOTE]

There are no checks. If you both carry two bottles (and maybe go through different scanners) then put another two bottles in your luggage you will have no problems. When you go to the naughty room you just tell them that they are your two bottles.