How do you decide?? Input on different ships/itineraries please!

paulh84

I was supposed to book our next cruise yesterday, but I've spent far too long starring at the screen deciding which one to choose.

My top choices are:

1. 8 Night Navigator - Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale stopping in Labadee, San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten.

Pros:

-ports I've never been to

-Fort Lauderdale departure

-food options similar to Liberty which was 'meh'. But not a deal breaker.

-cheaper

Cons:

-will be tight with my work schedule (no down time between cruise and back to work)

-ship will be largely similar to Liberty so there will be little new to experience onboard. Although again, not a deal breaker.

2. 7 Night Allure - Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral stopping in Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel.

Pros:

-new ship, will definitely be a new experience

-hopefully better and more food options

Cons:

-considerably more expensive and one day shorter

-not sure I'm sold on the mega ship idea although it is fascinating. I want to feel like I'm on a boat, not in a mall.

-already visited 2 of the 3 ports on land vacations

-transferring to Port Canaveral from Orlando seems like a headache. The 5 minute taxi ride in FLL is just too easy.

Go with a familiar ship and new to me ports, or new ship and familiar ports? Unfortunately booking both is out of the question!

I'd probably pick option 2 myself. I understand your hesitations on being on a larger boat, but it really sounds like you want a new ship experience and I'm sure Allure is going to be at least as good or better on food. The size is an issue, but I'd bet if you try you can find some places to duck away for some quiet time....

As far as being at 2 of the ports already, well that's okay. A couple cruises we've been on we've been to ports we've visited before and we just find something else to do, or do what we thought was fun again. Or just stay on the boat and enjoy the ship while everyone else is in port...

good luck. Either will be a good choice, but I'd do #2 if I were you.

Allure does not sail from Port Canaveral. She also leaves from Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades.

That is bizarre. I added it to my saved cruises early last week. It most definitely says Port Canaveral but doing a search by ship does say Fort Lauderdale.

Edit - removing it and saving again corrects the departure to FLL. Thanks!

Edited by paulh84

On second thought, a medium size ship is good too. I've found the larger the boat, the more people there are, and they seem crowded...

If a familiar ship, and with familiar food sound okay though, it sure would be fun to see a few new ports, and save some money.

Why do we always have to make these hard decisions!!!

I'm leaning towards the Navigator. That sailing has the itinerary I keep going back to. We'll try an Oasis ship sometime, maybe when prices come down a bit.

Now to decide...front facing ocean view/corner room with 'the pole' or regular midship ocean view?

Now to decide...front facing ocean view/corner room with 'the pole' or regular midship ocean view?

Many cruisers prefer aft staterooms where they can sit on their balcony and enjoy the view of the wake. We haven't tried that yet but plan to someday.

I prefer booking a room that is mid ship. That way, we are halfway between the activities located in the front or rear of the ship. Also, if the sea becomes rocky, there is less movement.

What I have noticed is the price will vary depending on the room location. When considering a room, I take into consideration what is on the deck above and below since my wife is a light sleeper.

Happy cruising. It's a great way to travel!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I was supposed to book our next cruise yesterday, but I've spent far too long starring at the screen deciding which one to choose.

My top choices are:

1. 8 Night Navigator - Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale stopping in Labadee, San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten.

Pros:

-cheaper

Cons:

-will be tight with my work schedule (no down time between cruise and back to work)

-ship will be largely similar to Liberty so there will be little new to experience onboard. Although again, not a deal breaker.

2. 7 Night Allure - Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral stopping in Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel.

Pros:

Cons:

-not sure I'm sold on the mega ship idea although it is fascinating. I want to feel like I'm on a boat, not in a mall.

-transferring to Port Canaveral from Orlando seems like a headache. The 5 minute taxi ride in FLL is just too easy.

Go with a familiar ship and new to me ports, or new ship and familiar ports? Unfortunately booking both is out of the question!

Your Allure itinerary is a Western Caribbean cruise, not Eastern.

I would do Navigator, I sailed her last April and will also sail her in 2 months, nice restaurants and ship. I would like to try Allure or the Oasis but they seem so much over priced compared to the rest of the fleet.

We would also choose the navigator. Have no desire to sail on the mega ships.

We would also choose the navigator. Have no desire to sail on the mega ships.

Don't knock it till you try it..been on both twice..NOS much more crowded ...mega ships have much more space & have 7 distinct neighborhoods, so it never feels crowded..also passenger/ space ratio much better on mega ships..also, much more entertainment ( and much better IMO) and more dining options on megas...not even close IMO, and we loved the NOS...

My top choices are:

Pros:

-cheaper

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

Cruise agent here who's been on NOS twice & Allure twice...first, remember, it's a ship, not a boat- boats are what you go fishing on....second, malls don't have the AMAZING Central Park, or the Aqua Theater with the best show on the 7 seas...that being said, I think the 8 night NOS would be a better choice because it's less $$, and I love St. Maarten, St. Kitts & Labadee..like you said, you have already visited 2 ports on the Allure cruise, why not go for something new & different, and do the Oasis/ Allure another time when you can get a better deal? NOS has just been re-furbished and reviews seem good...BTW, you didn't say if you are with kids, spouse, etc...and WHEN you go makes a BIG difference in $$...

Big Al

When talking about Allure or Oasis, you should consider the ship as the destination and not the islands. It's a different cruise experience. Normally, I'd recommend the longer, less expensive, better itinerary cruise but you really should take one of the big ships for a spin if you haven't already. People who say they have no desire to sail a mega ship don't know what they're missing.

When talking about Allure or Oasis, you should consider the ship as the destination and not the islands. It's a different cruise experience. Normally, I'd recommend the longer, less expensive, better itinerary cruise but you really should take one of the big ships for a spin if you haven't already. People who say they have no desire to sail a mega ship don't know what they're missing.

Agree 100%...that's what I just said above...don't knock it till you try it!