Feelings About Emerald Princess

Cruiseathoning

We just got back from a cruise on the Emerald a bit ago, and thought I would chime in with a few thoughts. The Emerald is a gorgeous ship, with a ridiculously dedicated crew and excellent food.

We had nothing close to resembling a bad meal on the ship. The room was nice, the bed was comfy, and the CD, Kelvin Joy, was a hoot and a real pro. Now the entertainment was ok, just ok, as the main shows lacked real vocal dynamos and the trivia was few and far between. I like trivia and karaoke, some don't, and to each their own. I would have like more of the aforementioned, but did get some excellent performances from Henry Hood and a fellow named Duncan who was a whiz on the guitar but a bit polarizing with his comedy.

Houston on a good weather day is a breeze, enough so that I am considering begging DW to give Norwegian another try. Yes, Galveston is that bad.

This was a good cruise. Will it match something you took to Rome? IDK. Probably not. But I have not been to Rome yet. It is just a blessing to spend seven days on a lovely ship meeting interesting people.

And that is the thing about cruising-meeting people with their guard down, learning about strangers, and seeing how we are still unique, talented, and worth a beer and a conversation. Or a friendship. On this cruise, instead of being wowed by Vegas style entertainment, we took in the subtle performances in the lounges, and made friends and had great conversations.

I got to learn about a couple's courtship and their marriage that has now crossed 40 years, and we traded "how did we meet" stories. We shared a lunch where I learned all about the Canadian tax system, and a breakfast where I met a man who could have been Sir Sean Connery's brother, and learned how this Scottish native served our nation in the Navy. I met an awesome couple from Vancouver, and picked their noggins about the best places to eat and stay should I ever visit.

I learned that the cost of parking spots in Pittsburgh are insane, and that Marines sat in a desert during their first Iraqi tour with no AC in their tents.

I learned that in this era of texting, and obliviousness, and nihilism, people have something to say, share, and teach. That is not something I usually learn in Vegas, or Disney World, or many other places where people are being rushed onto the next ride, or show, or event.

On a ship you can blast away at your senses with stimulus or you can relax and smell the roses. It's up to you. It most times comes down to your mindset. So yes, go on the Emerald and have a ball. Don't look at it as a ship full of people you have nothing in common with because of age, but full of people whose wisdom you can benefit from. Go and relax, and dance, or sing, or sit in a hot tub and jabber about baseball.

The Emerald is not the glitz of some of the Norwegian or Royal ships, the luxury of Crystal, or the energy of Carnival. It is just a well maintained, well appointed, welcoming ship that can show anyone magic, even without all of the big props, if only the audience is willing.

Of course the real trick is not a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, covered in fog, illuminated by lasers, rocking its ears to pulsating techno beats. No the real trick, and one anyone with an open mind and heart can pull off-is to be your own magician. Sail often, my friends.

We just got back from a cruise on the Emerald a bit ago, and thought I would chime in with a few thoughts. The Emerald is a gorgeous ship, with a ridiculously dedicated crew and excellent food.

We had nothing close to resembling a bad meal on the ship. The room was nice, the bed was comfy, and the CD, Kelvin Joy, was a hoot and a real pro. Now the entertainment was ok, just ok, as the main shows lacked real vocal dynamos and the trivia was few and far between. I like trivia and karaoke, some don't, and to each their own. I would have like more of the aforementioned, but did get some excellent performances from Henry Hood and a fellow named Duncan who was a whiz on the guitar but a bit polarizing with his comedy.

Houston on a good weather day is a breeze, enough so that I am considering begging DW to give Norwegian another try. Yes, Galveston is that bad.

This was a good cruise. Will it match something you took to Rome? IDK. Probably not. But I have not been to Rome yet. It is just a blessing to spend seven days on a lovely ship meeting interesting people.

And that is the thing about cruising-meeting people with their guard down, learning about strangers, and seeing how we are still unique, talented, and worth a beer and a conversation. Or a friendship. On this cruise, instead of being wowed by Vegas style entertainment, we took in the subtle performances in the lounges, and made friends and had great conversations.

I got to learn about a couple's courtship and their marriage that has now crossed 40 years, and we traded "how did we meet" stories. We shared a lunch where I learned all about the Canadian tax system, and a breakfast where I met a man who could have been Sir Sean Connery's brother, and learned how this Scottish native served our nation in the Navy. I met an awesome couple from Vancouver, and picked their noggins about the best places to eat and stay should I ever visit.

I learned that the cost of parking spots in Pittsburgh are insane, and that Marines sat in a desert during their first Iraqi tour with no AC in their tents.

I learned that in this era of texting, and obliviousness, and nihilism, people have something to say, share, and teach. That is not something I usually learn in Vegas, or Disney World, or many other places where people are being rushed onto the next ride, or show, or event.

On a ship you can blast away at your senses with stimulus or you can relax and smell the roses. It's up to you. It most times comes down to your mindset. So yes, go on the Emerald and have a ball. Don't look at it as a ship full of people you have nothing in common with because of age, but full of people whose wisdom you can benefit from. Go and relax, and dance, or sing, or sit in a hot tub and jabber about baseball.

The Emerald is not the glitz of some of the Norwegian or Royal ships, the luxury of Crystal, or the energy of Carnival. It is just a well maintained, well appointed, welcoming ship that can show anyone magic, even without all of the big props, if only the audience is willing.

Of course the real trick is not a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, covered in fog, illuminated by lasers, rocking its ears to pulsating techno beats. No the real trick, and one anyone with an open mind and heart can pull off-is to be your own magician. Sail often, my friends.

Very well said. Life in general is more rich if you actually live it instead of seeing the negativity in every day experiences. Very glad you had a great time.

Do you mind sharing any information about cruise scheduling(or recent patters)? I'm sailing on Emerald in less than 3 weeks and can hardly wait. I'm trying to plan which night is best to go to Sabatini's but don't want to conflict with the 50th anniversary dinner or Discovery Star Gazing evenings?

Thanks,

we did not eat at a specialty restaurant-the MD was that good. It all was. The food was spot on excellent. As far as the activities, we were on Kelvin's last run before a break, and Henry's as well. I was told the new guy was going to revamp everything.

But tell DJ Tintin and Holly that Todd says hi!

Do you mind sharing any information about cruise scheduling(or recent patters)? I'm sailing on Emerald in less than 3 weeks and can hardly wait. I'm trying to plan which night is best to go to Sabatini's but don't want to conflict with the 50th anniversary dinner or Discovery Star Gazing evenings?

We are just off the Emerald from last week's sailing. While I didn't keep the Patters, formal nights were Monday and Thursday nights. On the Thursday night we had a really good menu with escargot, lobster, and prawns. We ate at Sabatini's when we were on the Emerald in November and were not too impressed. We rathered Crown Grill, so we ate there again last week with our party of 8 total people. All were highly impressed.

I never saw a Star Gazing evening advertised.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

On a ship you can blast away at your senses with stimulus or you can relax and smell the roses. It's up to you. It most times comes down to your mindset. So yes, go on the Emerald and have a ball. Don't look at it as a ship full of people you have nothing in common with because of age, but full of people whose wisdom you can benefit from. Go and relax, and dance, or sing, or sit in a hot tub and jabber about baseball. Sail often, my friends.

I just quoted a few lines from your marvelous post even though the whole thing is quotable.

I have never failed to meet some fine interesting people while cruising-whether passengers or crew. I don't need entertainment and PARTY EXCITEMENT !!! 24/7.

Having a relaxed conversation with a new-found friend you'll probably never see again is a very pleasant experience.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Emerald. I will see her in September- in ROME a place you must put high on your list!!

Thanks for the great read!

Norris

This has got to be one of the finer reviews that I have read in a long time. You are absolutely correct when you say that there is much to learn from the people we travel with floating out on the ocean.

You have a wonderful way of conveying your thoughts. Thank you for reminding us of the importance of stopping to smell the roses, to listen, to engage, to learn and to enjoy! A blessing indeed! Thank you!

This was a wonderful summary of how to cruise and enjoy life!!

Thank you for posting such a refreshing and uplifting outlook on your cruise. Life is to short to spend so much of it looking for things to complain about. I think overall my good times have out weighted my bad times so I feel that in itself is a great blessing.

Very well said. :D Glad you enjoyed the Emerald and and the true spirit of cruising.

Agree the Emerald is a wonderful ship. Only disagreement is the beds are terrible. We had a huge hole. Princess is NOT known for comfy beds. This is the only line time after time we get terrible mattresses. Princess really needs to address the mattresses.

Thank you for this review. We are sailing our first Princess Cruise on the Emerald 03/15/15. We have been on 1 Carnival and 3 Royal Caribbean before. I am excited to try Princess. I haven't met a ship I didn't love. This review gets me ready for a great time. Although I am a bit nervous about the beds. Are they really that bad or not? I have degenerate disc disease and a bad mattress will be uncomfortable to say the least. After the Winter we have had I am excited to spend the last week of Winter on a cruise ship. :)

Thank you for this review. We are sailing our first Princess Cruise on the Emerald 03/15/15. We have been on 1 Carnival and 3 Royal Caribbean before. I am excited to try Princess. I haven't met a ship I didn't love. This review gets me ready for a great time. Although I am a bit nervous about the beds. Are they really that bad or not? I have degenerate disc disease and a bad mattress will be uncomfortable to say the least. After the Winter we have had I am excited to spend the last week of Winter on a cruise ship. :)

Here is the link to the roll call for your cruise....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118152