Diamond spouse, first cruise other spouse, RCCL asleep at the switch

kevink

My wife and I are Diamond status and enjoy the perks. In May I've arranged a family cruise including my son who is diamond status and his wife of nearly five years who will be taking her first cruise. No problem says I, here's your diamond number and the phone number of the Loyalty desk, call them and they should be able to assign your spouse a diamond number.

He tells me that he called the Loyalty desk, and was told that his wife would only qualify for Diamond status *after* her first cruise. He's PO'd, I'm PO'd, everybody's PO'd. It makes absolutely no sense.

If I am Royal Caribbean and I have a customer who has cruised with me many times, shouldn't I want to turn their spouse into a loyal customer to get more business from future cruises? Would I not consider that telling someone's spouse that they can have a complimentary robe but their spouse is out of luck is not the best way to secure future business? Would I not consider that blocking someone's spouse from the Diamond lounge is also a likely way to lose future business?

This makes no fricking sense to me. Was the person manning the Loyalty line on drugs, or is this really RCCL's incredibly stupid policy designed to boost their competitors' bottom lines?

-- Kevin

Edited by kevink

Yes. It has been this way as long as I have known the program. It makes sense if you consider that you can't be a c&a member until after your first cruise.

My wife and I are Diamond status and enjoy the perks. In May I've arranged a family cruise including my son who is diamond status and his wife of nearly five years who will be taking her first cruise. No problem says I, here's your diamond number and the phone number of the Loyalty desk, call them and they should be able to assign your spouse a diamond number.

He tells me that he called the Loyalty desk, and was told that his wife would only qualify for Diamond status *after* her first cruise. He's PO'd, I'm PO'd, everybody's PO'd. It makes absolutely no sense.

If I am Royal Caribbean and I have a customer who has cruised with me many times, shouldn't I want to turn their spouse into a loyal customer to get more business from future cruises? Would I not consider that telling someone's spouse that they can have a complimentary robe but their spouse is out of luck is not the best way to secure future business? Would I not consider that blocking someone's spouse from the Diamond lounge is also a likely way to lose future business?

This makes no fricking sense to me. Was the person manning the Loyalty line on drugs, or is this really RCCL's incredibly stupid policy designed to boost their competitors' bottom lines?

-- Kevin

You may not like it but that's the way it is. Their ship, their rules.

If you want a way around it....

- Have your DIL call MLife and register for their rewards program.

- Royal will then grant you a C&A number without having sailed as they have a

partnership with the rewards programs.

- have your son' and DIL's accounts linked and presto she is Diamond.

Happy sailing.

https://www.mlife.com

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I think the fact they they'll grant her the diamond status after her very first cruise is impressive enough! That's pretty generous for a cruiser who hasn't spent a dime on their cruise line. But hey, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may not like it but that's the way it is. Their ship, their rules.

If you want a way around it....

- Have your DIL call MLife and register for their rewards program.

- Royal will then grant you a C&A number without having sailed as they have a

partnership with the rewards programs.

- have your son' and DIL's accounts linked and presto she is Diamond.

Happy sailing.

https://www.mlife.com

If it works it is a great example of how to get to the end destination even when they say it can't be done. Ken, you have a great mind. Be sure to tell your wife that, but she must already know as you picked her. ;)

If it works it is a great example of how to get to the end destination even when they say it can't be done. Ken, you have a great mind. Be sure to tell your wife that, but she must already know as you picked her. ;)

The only thing that I can take credit for on this is remembering what someone else posted a while back. Now I just need to make sure I remember our anniversary on Saturady.:D

This exact situation just happened to my daughter on the Oasis. She was told on the ship that her husband would not be eligible for her Diamond status (even though they reside in the same household) until after he completed his first RCCL cruise. It didn't really bother them as they weren't sailing with anyone else and she had her drinks preloaded onto her card so she could enjoy them anywhere on the ship.

Honestly, I think it's pretty generous to give them status at all seeing as they didn't technically earn it. It cost me a ton of money to get her to Diamond and he gets to tag along for free now :)

It's always amazing how some get their knickers in a knot over free drinks or should I say, the lack of them. I guess they weren't asleep at the switch if she was denied. :D

Edited by Big_G

-- Kevin

You are upset that someone who has never cruised before isn't made diamond immediately?? Everyone else has to cruise enough times to collect points to become diamond. If you feel that other cruise lines would welcome you in upgraded status immediately why not cruise with them?? Your last paragraph won't increase sympathy for you.

Hi ,

I am a gold member and my husband is a diamond member. Can you tell me how to go about linking our accounts? We are cruising in a few weeks and I just assumed I could go to the diamond lounge with him since I am his wife. Guess not would love to be able to join him in all the diamond benefits

Although maybe his plan all along was to go to the diamond lounge himself

Thanks

Hi ,

I am a gold member and my husband is a diamond member. Can you tell me how to go about linking our accounts? We are cruising in a few weeks and I just assumed I could go to the diamond lounge with him since I am his wife. Guess not �� would love to be able to join him in all the diamond benefits

Although maybe his plan all along was to go to the diamond lounge himself ��

Thanks

Call C&A at 800-526-9723.

You are upset that someone who has never cruised before isn't made diamond immediately?? Everyone else has to cruise enough times to collect points to become diamond. If you feel that other cruise lines would welcome you in upgraded status immediately why not cruise with them?? Your last paragraph won't increase sympathy for you.

Exactly.

Wish I had married someone who was Diamond.

1 cruise sounds a good deal to me. Should have done a 3 nighter first.

Hi ,

I am a gold member and my husband is a diamond member. Can you tell me how to go about linking our accounts? We are cruising in a few weeks and I just assumed I could go to the diamond lounge with him since I am his wife. Guess not �� would love to be able to join him in all the diamond benefits

Although maybe his plan all along was to go to the diamond lounge himself ��

Thanks

Yes, just call C&A. But, you can absolutely just go in with your husband either way.

Hi ,

I am a gold member and my husband is a diamond member. Can you tell me how to go about linking our accounts? We are cruising in a few weeks and I just assumed I could go to the diamond lounge with him since I am his wife. Guess not would love to be able to join him in all the diamond benefits

Although maybe his plan all along was to go to the diamond lounge himself

Thanks

That's the crazy part of RCL's loyalty program. A person whose wife never sailed wants to obtain Diamond status for her before the sailing is angry at being denied vs. another who is at the Gold level and sailing with a Diamond member vs. all those other passengers who had to earn their Diamond status the hard way -- sailing day by day and not just by taking 3/4 day sailings. Then to say it all depends on the Loyalty Ambassador on board...WOW... just mind blowing! All this over some free drinks.

Very interesting!:confused::rolleyes:

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

This is a subject that has been written about many times on this forum, your DIL should be grateful that after her first cruise she will make D status. This automatic advancement to high level C&A status is why some on here complain, to reach D status in her own right she would have to cruise at least 40 nights in a suite or balcony, some will have cruised the full 80 in a inside cabin. No doubt if C&A change this policy and everyone has to earn each status in the own right people will start complaining about that as well.

Edited by BARNET

this is a subject that has been written about many times on this forum, your dil should be grateful that after her first cruise she will make d status. This automatic advancement to high level c&a status is why some on here complain, to reach d status in her own right she would have to cruise at least 40 nights in a suite or balcony, some will have cruised the full 80 in a inside cabin. No doubt if c&a change this policy and everyone has to earn each status in the own right people will start complaining about that as well.

Amen!

Edited by Maraprince

This exact situation just happened to my daughter on the Oasis. She was told on the ship that her husband would not be eligible for her Diamond status (even though they reside in the same household) until after he completed his first RCCL cruise. It didn't really bother them as they weren't sailing with anyone else and she had her drinks preloaded onto her card so she could enjoy them anywhere on the ship.

Honestly, I think it's pretty generous to give them status at all seeing as they didn't technically earn it. It cost me a ton of money to get her to Diamond and he gets to tag along for free now :)

I think the fact they they'll grant her the diamond status after her very first cruise is impressive enough! That's pretty generous for a cruiser who hasn't spent a dime on their cruise line. But hey, just my opinion.

Exactly - IMO, they should have to earn the status by spending the same amount of time (and money) as the rest of us (well, most of us:rolleyes:)

Exactly - IMO, they should have to earn the status by spending the same amount of time (and money) as the rest of us (well, most of us:rolleyes:)

I agree. why should someone who has NEVER cruised on RCCL be diamond status (or any other status for that matter). Period.

Edited by bouhunter

-- Kevin

It obviously makes no "fricking sense" to you, but it does to those who have cruised many times to make Diamond status and see no reason that it should be extended to someone who has never cruised on RCCL.....:rolleyes: You need to re-think your bitter comments, do you really think RCCL is "designing" their policy to "boost their competitors bottom lines"?????? Seriously? Haha yes I'm sure that's their corporate strategy........

BTW, our daughter is Diamond on her own after cruising many years with us. It would NEVER OCCUR TO ME that her husband someday who'd never been on RCCL should be Diamond........... Good grief.......... Typical entitlement attitude these days.

Edited by bouhunter

Really??? :eek:

Gee... Sorry... I don't feel bad for you or your son or his wife of nearly five years... Look how long it's taken others to get to Diamond status and you are all upset that she has to complete ONE cruise? Look at all the money we've spent on all these cruises to get to this level and the years!!!

It's their rules. If you're so "PO'd" and he's so "PO'd" and everyone is so 'PO'd", take another cruise line!!! She should be happy that on her SECOND cruise, she'll be Diamond. :rolleyes:

I bet you will still complain to whoever will listen to you once your on board too!!

Edited by royal girl