Hong kong hotels

NSWP

The Salisbury, Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui which is the focal area of Kowloon. Next door is the iconic (and expensive) Peninsula Hotel & the old cruise terminal & the Star Ferry terminal are just a few steps away. Plenty of shops & restaurants right outside the door, and the shops of Nathan Road are just a five minute walk.

Unbeatable location and an excellent 3-star hotel which offers probably the best value in Hong Kong. By the waterfront, but has harbour-view rooms only from 11th floor upwards because of the Space Centre opposite.

It is owned & operated by the YMCA - but you wouldn't know it, it's a regular hotel.

Very very popular, sells out early.

http://www.salisburyhotelhongkong.com/

and more detail at

http://www.booking.com/hotel/hk/salisbury.en-gb.html

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Another vote for the Panorama by Rhombus Kowloon. Stayed there 5 nights last year. Perfect position, large clean rooms (HK is notorious for their small hotel rooms), outstanding views across the harbour. We booked the Club Room, which comes with added benefits, such as free nibblies and drinks each night. Well worth the few extra bucks! Loads of cheap eating places nearby. A safe area 24/7.

Greetings to fellow CC' "mate" from down under :cool: - there is a wide range of hotel, ranging from basic, clean & comfortable ones in 2 to 3 stars to the upper & world class luxury lodging - i.e. classic "Peninsula" (British "high" tea) with Rolls Royce pickup of guests at the airport (HKIA) or the IC (ex-Regent) on the Victoria Harbor w. its lobby cafe-bar. Do you plan/wish to use the Airport Express train to/from the city (Hotel Icon) or prefer a taxi going door-to-door in the middle of it all (Langham Place in Mongkok, directly on top of MTR subway train station)?

What is your budget and travel date as availability and prices can vary, especially the peak high season of late Sept & October with mainland China tourists? There are some nice boutique hotel (Butterfly on the Prat) on both sides of the island rated highly by business travelers?

Some of these are compact in size, modern & efficient and all inclusve with free internet, while others are classic with business/club level access & extras and 4 season indoor/rooftop pool & spa for relaxation.

It's your call for 3 nights ... :p ;)

We enjoyed the Hyatt Regency in Tsim Sha Tsui for three nights after our Northeast Asia cruise last November.

Things we liked:

Off a quiet side street near Nathan Road

Elevator to MTR directly across street

7-11 across street

unlimited free bottled water in fitness center

and the best perk was the included smart phone in the room with free local and international calling and unlimited data. This came in handy since our phones from home were not connecting to the cell provider.

Can anybody from their experience recommend any HK hotels for a 3 night stopover on way back from UK post cruising?
The InterContinental on Salisbury Road (not the Grand Stanford), and get a harbour view room. We rather liked it when we had to use a hotel in Hong Kong (although on a subsequent visit we were ordered to stay closer to the family we were visiting :().

I put some Sydneysiders in one of those rooms last year on their way back from the UK, and I think they thought they'd died and gone to heaven.

A high floor tower room at the Peninsula would probably also fit the bill nicely.

G'day again, many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I just booked the Salisbury, harbour view room with breakfast for 3 nights on way back from UK, post Aurora/Oriana cruises and touring England for a month (Yorkshire, Norfolk, Dorset, Wiltshire, London.) In HK going to do a city tour and Macau tour. Flying Cathay Pacific.

Yes, HK is quite pricey for hotels. But Salisbury won me over with your recommendations and Tripadvisor reviews.

Happy cruising everybody.

Edited by NSWP

G'day again, many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I just booked the Salisbury, harbour view room with breakfast for 3 nights on way back from UK, post Aurora/Oriana cruises and touring England for a month (Yorkshire, Norfolk, Dorset, Wiltshire, London.) In HK going to do a city tour and Macau tour. Flying Cathay Pacific.

Yes, HK is quite pricey for hotels. But Salisbury won me over with your recommendations and Tripadvisor reviews.

Happy cruising everybody.

You can watch the harbour laser show from your room, 8pm each night.

Ask at reception how to tune the radio in your room for the accompanying misic - it makes a big big difference.

• 2 weeks later...
You can watch the harbour laser show from your room, 8pm each night.

Ask at reception how to tune the radio in your room for the accompanying misic - it makes a big big difference.

Thanks again John.

• 7 months later...

Iluvcruising2,

I know you have previously stayed at the Eaton Hotel in Hong Kong and wondered how far it is situated from the likes of the Salisbury and Peninsula? I have noticed the Eaton offer family rooms (great for us), consisting of 2 connecting bedrooms, and wondered about the location of the hotel in respect of the main sights etc. Was it also easy to reach the hotel from the airport? Is there an age limit on the children in the connecting room i.e. ours will be teens.

Many thanks in advance for any information you can provide :).

Iluvcruising2,

I know you have previously stayed at the Eaton Hotel in Hong Kong and wondered how far it is situated from the likes of the Salisbury and Peninsula? I have noticed the Eaton offer family rooms (great for us), consisting of 2 connecting bedrooms, and wondered about the location of the hotel in respect of the main sights etc. Was it also easy to reach the hotel from the airport? Is there an age limit on the children in the connecting room i.e. ours will be teens.

Hello!

Thanks for your question. I had to go back to my videos to check out how the room we stayed in was configured! At 1:38 of the video, you can see the 2nd room. Bunk beds, which my kids enjoyed. I don't recall that they had any age limit for the kids, though I must say that mine are pre-teen. I don't imagine that they will be upset if your family is with teenagers.

[YOUTUBE]-3PGA6AUMH0[/YOUTUBE]

We went to the Hotel using Bus A21. It is very easy. Again, I had to go back to my video to check refresh my memory. Here it is. I can't remember the stop number for Eaton Hotel, but the bus passes right by.

[YOUTUBE]pPeNyas_Gkg[/YOUTUBE]

This video was a A21 bus ride from a trip this year, where we stayed at Tsim Sha Tsui. Fast forward to 4:00 minute mark. The building you see at the junction, is Eaton Hotel! The bus stop is shortly after this junction, and you take a short walk back to the hotel.

[YOUTUBE]pts3aRh3YWU[/YOUTUBE]

Iluvcruising2,

Salisbury and Peninsula are located much closer to the Star Ferry area, at Tsim Sha Tsui area. Earlier this year, we stayed at a hotel at the Tsim Sha Tsui East called Hotel Panorama by Rhombus. Here is the video.

[YOUTUBE]jH4DH75MxUQ[/YOUTUBE]

Frankly, I prefer the location of Hotel Panorama by Rhombus as we can take walks in the massive underground walkways at the Tsim Sha Tsui area. The downside is that the bedding in the Family Room isn't as good as the Hotel Eaton. It is two smallish double beds, but if you can deal with that then this is also a hotel worth considering.

Thank you so much for putting all the information together, much appreciated :). I'll watch the videos and then take a look at what the Panorama offers in the way of family rooms. I know some of the hotels only allow a maximum of 3 persons per room :(. Also looking forward to a return to visit to your wonderful Singapore ;).