Cruise to Alaska in May

hcij2015

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The is a section of Cruise Critic devoted to Alaska, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

The question would be what do you consider "enjoy" being outside. It isn't going to be warm, unless the pool area is covered, you won't be using the pool. But lots of people like to be out in the cold.

Hi.. I am looking for feedback from people who have done a cruise to Alaska in May. Would you go in May again? Was the weather good enough that you could enjoy being outside?

We've cruised in Alaska in late September, and taken a cruise/tour in May (well, the actual cruise part was the first of June). We'd do either one again.

In May/June you see more snow than you do in September. But in September you have the opportunity to see more colors.

Interestingly, the weather for both cruises was quite similar, in the high 50s-low 60s with some drizzle in Glacier Bay and Juneau (yes both times Juneau had rain). Daylight lasted longer in June than in September.

I'm not a cold aficionado, so I had my down parka on most of the time in May, maybe a little less so in September. Most people don't have to go to that extreme.

Yes I'd do it again, and yes it was warm enough to enjoy being outside. It was warm enough to stand on the outside platform for the entire train journey from Skagway into Canada, for example. With a coat on, obviously. But I doubt it's ever bikini weather in Alaska.

If you go on a ship with a heated pool, the pool is warm enough as well. With the bonus that the area won't be chock-a-block with sunbathers.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

The reason the rates are often lower early in the season and late in the season is because of less chance of good weather. Many of us find touring and active activities more enjoyable in warmer and less rainy weather. There is never a promise, as we all know, for weather at anytime anywhere. Also some excursions may not yet be operating and perhaps some things aren't open very early in the season. If there is too much ice, entry to Tracy Arm to view the glaciers may not be possible in early May.

We cruised the inside passage from late May/early June 2001. We had a balcony cabin, and it was mostly too cold for us to enjoy the balcony. But with that said, I would cruise that time of season again. We did have to go find winter coats for our cruise before we left Texas, and we are so glad we did.

Holland America Volendam, roundtrip Vancouver, BC

We went May 16 last year and had a great time. We wore sweaters under rain proof medium weight fleece lined jackets that we bought at Ketchikan Trading Co. at the dock for $20 they were perfect especially on balcony when it was chilly and rainy. We were never cold and could remove them in the warmer sunnier days. We also had comfortable water resistant Timberlines. Check websites that give you average temps. The other poster mentioned winter coat and that makes me think of large parka type coat and you don't need that.

We loved going in May, but I will consider going in summer to see more wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We prefer Alaska in May because there is still snow on the hills. It is the time of year when the baby whales, eagles, orcas, moose, bears, are venturing out into the world. Watching a baby humpback whale jumping out of the water for a good half hour was the highlight of our second Alaska cruise.

As noted earlier, May is a dry month and is still chilly enough to keep bugs away.

We will be back again for two weeks on the Ms Noordam this May.

Edited by Crew News

I wouldn't book to sail Alaska until at least early to mid June.

A chance for better weather matters to me and if you go to early in the season, there is a chance too much ice at Tracy Arm could keep the ship from entering, if that is on your itinerary.

Hi.. I am looking for feedback from people who have done a cruise to Alaska in May. Would you go in May again? Was the weather good enough that you could enjoy being outside?

Weather is a crap shoot any time you go to Alaska. My personal experience has been that we've had very good weather in May in Alaska. We were able to get into Tracy Arm for a spectacular day. Sometimes, though, the Tracy Arm day ends up being the Endicott Arm day if ice conditions are inhospitable in Tracy Arm. If Glacier Bay is on your itinerary, it should be accessible whatever month you cruise.

Of course you have to dress for the weather, which can be variable. I hope you have had a look at the Alaska forum. There is much said there about weather ;)

Our cruise was mid-May to the end of May, 14 days on HAL. The weather was delightful since that is driest month so there was little rain.

Not too cold. We only wore fleece-lined denim jacket. On Excursions rarely needed the warm cap or gloves we'd brought. We did need them for Glacier Bay when out on the bow of the ship.

We would definitely choose May again for Alaska.

We cruised to Alaska last year during the very first week of May. It was the first sailing of the season and we left Vancouver the last day of April. We had beautiful weather. I wore shorts the entire cruise. It didn't rain during the entire cruise. Many around the ship were complaining that they dressed too warmly for the cruise.

Evenings were cooler on our balcony, but we had nice blankets for that. The water was the smoothest cruise that we have ever experienced.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our outside cabin in May, think 2000. Mt. Roberts had snow, but a jacket was too warm! Should have included more short sleeve shirts. Now the salmon runs are later. Enjoy.

My very first cruise was in 2004 from Seattle - first Alaskan cruise of the year, May 8th. They were having a heat wave - 70 feels like 80 that far up north. I'd only brought warm clothes so ended up wearing the same stinky t-shirt all week, lol.

This is the perfect year to cruise Alaska in May - the Northwest and Alaska are having their warmest winters in history, and the Spring and Summer also look good. Gotta love El Nino'!

Bring warm clothes as well as t-shirts and capries. Be prepared for both.