Dramamine at night ?

Joie

Some are susceptible to motion sickness and this can be exacerbated by size of vessel, cabin location, weather and more. I was concerned about forcing my husband to cruise but he did splendidly with the scopalomine patches. Get 'em from your doctor! He even enjoyed himself and allowed how he would not need to be forced in future.

Bonine makes you less drowsy. On the day before the cruise I take a pill about 6:00PM. On the day of the cruise I take one right after I get on the ship prior to sailaway. During the cruise I take the pill after we get back on the ship after a port day, before we depart. On sea days I take it at about 6PM. I am able to eat dinner and not be sick. During the day the residual affect keeps me well. I always need the meds regardless of the sea conditions, I am very susceptible to motion while on a cruise. This pattern of taking my pills has worked very well for me. :)

Does Dramamine work well if taken at bedtime instead of morning? Don't want to feel sleepy during the day but also don't want to have motion sickness either.

In a word, NO! The reason, Dramamine is a drug that only works for 4-6 hours. So while it will work during the night (and even help you sleep) it will be worn-off when you wake. Bonine (Meclizine Hcl) on the other hand, does work for about 24 hours and taking it once a day at bedtime is very common among cruisers. There is a "Dramamine Non Drowsy" formula which has a similar drug formula as to Bonine. And if you do not want to pay the usual over the counter price for Bonine you might just go to your pharmacist or a Walmart Pharmacy and ask them if they will sell you generic Meclizine (25 mg).

Hank

Don't want to feel sleepy during the day but also don't want to have motion sickness either.

I took Dramamine once and only once - it made me so loopy I missed an entire day of my cruise. I will never use medication for motion sickness again. If I do feel nauseated at all I use the Sea Bands wrist bands. They worked wonders for me during my chemotherapy, too. Some pregnant women use them during morning sickness. It's a non-medicinal alternative. :)

Keep in mind you probably won't get seasick at all. Honestly, most don't! :)

I agree. My wife used to worry about getting seasick when we started cruising.

She wore the patch and proudly proclaimed after every cruise that the patch worked.

I asked her how do you know you wouldn't have been fine without it as she gets motion sickness in the car.

After a couple cruises wearing the patch, she got dry mouth and couldnt read the menus by the end of the week as her vision was impaired.

So she stopped wearing the patch and has not been sick once in all the cruises we have taken.

Bill

thanks....its for my daughter, I don't get seasick.....but she may and I don't want her to not enjoy the cruise. I find that cruise north or south is never a problem, but sometimes going across the gulf east or west does tend to make people queszy sometimes.

I've tried Dramamine, Gravol and Bromine and all make me tired regardless of how little (1/2 pill) I take - I did however find out about the Scopolamine patch and it is amazing!! I get motion sickness very easily (can't watch spinning things, have to sit in front seats of cars, etc) so it's my saving grace!

You put the patch behind your ear (smaller then a dime in size) and wear it for 3 days, then you remove it and reapply another patch behind the OTHER ear...this is important, if you put it behind the same ear you will develop vision problems!

I've used the patch several times (previous cruise, when I developed Vertigo and also after donating a kidney last month to allow me to move when the pain meds made me nauseous) - I now only use gravol if I want to sleep but if I want to function - the patch all the way! You can even drink while using the patch with no issues.

I generally put it on about 2hrs before departing as it does take about 4-6hrs to start absorbing into your blood stream.

In Canada you can either have your doctor prescribe it (your medical benefits usually cover it) or you can pick it up behind the pharmacy counter - Walmart sells it for about $15 for 2 patches (6 days worth) and it is called the Transderm-V patch!

Good luck from the queen of motion sickness!! [emoji3]

The adverse effects of Scopolamine are significant. Potentially much worse than any of the OTCs mentioned previously. Temporary, but significant, visual impairment can screw up a cruise for the sufferer and his/her travel companions.