Is this wise?

judylou

We have a Panama Cruise booked with Princess for April 2016. Looking for something to do before the cruise and I am thinking of booking an Oasis of the Seas 7 night cruise which arrives in Fort Lauderdale the same day the Island Princess leaves.

Not a very experienced cruiser, so I'm worried about the timing. Should we be safe?

We have a Panama Cruise booked with Princess for April 2016. Looking for something to do before the cruise and I am thinking of booking an Oasis of the Seas 7 night cruise which arrives in Fort Lauderdale the same day the Island Princess leaves.

Not a very experienced cruiser, so I'm worried about the timing. Should we be safe?

We would not hesitate to do such a thing knowing that there is always a very slight risk that something could happen to the Oasis to delay its arrival in FLL. The odds of this happening are so remote we would take the chance. And if the worst happened and you somehow missed the Island Princess your backup plan would be to fly to Aruba and catch-up :).

Hank

Hi judylou,

What you are considering is called a "side-to-side" cruise, and I also would LOVE to be able to do this! You are coming an awfully long way - if you can afford it and you are already in Fort Lauderdale, absolutely you should do it! Oasis is a huge ship and gets into port very early on embarkation morning becasue there are a lot of bags to be off-loaded. You should have no trouble making your Princess cruise. You'll probably need to take a cab over to your other ship within the port area, but give the driver $15 and he will probably do it. :)

I'm already excited for you. YES you must do this, you must!! :D:D:D

The only small risk is if Oasis returns to Port Everglades very late and the chance of that is minimal. Lots of people do two cruises on two different ships/cruise lines. It's easy to get off one ship and move on over to the other.

You might have a bit of wait time but not too much.

We've done 2 cruises like this and it worked like a charm. It's like a B2B but I think it's referred to as a side by side?

The largest percentage of the time ships dock by 7am and passengers are off before 9. You can't even board your next ship until after noon usually.

You should have tons of time. Have fun

You're coming a very long way, and spending a lot of time on a plane, to do one cruise. You know eventually you'll end up doing the other itinerary. I think you owe it to yourself, from an economic standpoint, to do both cruises. That way, you're saving the cost of round trip airfare from Australia by doing them side by side. You'll actually be saving money by doing them on the same trip. Does that help?

Bunch of enablers, we are

^ Nah, OP will be fine. All they have to do is disembark one ship and get to their other ship at the very same port - easy as pie. I, personally, would not fly in on the day of a cruise, but this is a different scenario and Oasis does not have a history of being late, nor is the port subject to fog like in Tampa or snow like Bayonne (just examples).

I've even read of passengers doing their laundry at a laundromat in Fort Lauderdale on turnaround day, in between cruises! LOL!

Edited by Langley Cruisers