Class Distinctions--X Summit

123Funcruiser456

Classic, Select, Elite are terms used by the Captain's Club, which is the loyalty program.

RS is a Royal Suite. This is a class of stateroom. The staterooms classes are Inside, Outside, Verandah, Concierge, Aqua and Suites.

You earn points in the loyalty program based on the class of stateroom you book and the length of the cruise.

We were on Summit in December. In the penthouse we were given our select coupons as well as elite. With michaels the only one we used was the free internet. Not sure if you will get elite or not but you will love Michaels and what they can do for you.

The topic of this post can be controversial, but I think your question is valid.

While it is not a written perk, suites eligible for Michael's club are given benefits of Elite Cruisers including the events and coupons. Some of these may interest a new cruisers, but in general the benefits of Michael's Club outway the Captain's club benefits and combined with the added benefits of a RS like a premium drink package, there aren't many uses for the benefits. You will get extra points to advance the levels, but again, they won't mean much if you continue to sail in upper level suites.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We booked a Royal Suite on a cruise oct 14. They were just transitioning to the new look & perks so it may be a bit different now.

Over all we found Michaels Club to be the best perk of all! It was quite lovely to get a drink there any time and they had some great champagne. Also nice to have a quite place to go for a cup of tea in the morning or for a drink before fancy dinners. MC also had a lot of unexpected quirks: special invites for a bridge tour, dining with an officer one night, an art talk, etc. I'm not sure if the invites were unannounced/unexpected (and fantastic) perks of a Royal Suite or from MC direct, but they were organized by the MC concierge. There was nothing so special as receiving an invite on your door in the morning or afternoon for something happening the next day.

Another perk of the RS is the new dining place just for suites. We are really looking forward to this! We loved the buffet last cruise and ate in the main dining room just a few times, but the new restaurant looks to be neat! Oh, and in our room at check in we also had a set of coupons with laundry, internet, spa passes, etc that seemed tied into high tiers of the Captain's Club (I'm pretty sure all these amenities are included in the new upgraded RS now too).

We did see some zenith members in MC as well. Mostly it was just suite people. Everyone was very nice! Overall it is very expensive to get a suite - thou I think it is worth every extra penny paid. I like very much the amenities of a wood balcony, excellent service by room ninjas (stewards of awesome) and having everyone know your name after a few days. Our butler was amazing and there were constantly extra perks such as priority boarding.

I've found that being nice, polite & thankful for excellent service makes the cruise more enjoyable for everyone. It is a chunk of moolah to dole out for vacation on a RS. I think if it's in your budget, a RS is worth a go at least once in a lifetime. If we lived in FL, lol and had more than a week vacation a year, then we would totally book inside rooms all the time and cruise on the cheap as it seems like a great way to go if you have ample time & are local. But we live in snowy RI and work hard all the year to have the most fantastic vacation ever for a week.

The RS is just that awesome vacation for it. We commute 3 hours a day in horrible traffic dreaming about the amazing week of luxury next January! I think over all it seemed that there were delightful perks for a RS that just made it exactly like in the commercials. We loved it!

.... Overall it is very expensive to get a suite - thou I think it is worth every extra penny paid.
I think that evelyn inkpen summed it up very well right there in that one sentence.

It really just depends on how much it is worth to you.

Some find it worthwhile to have a suite every time they cruise.

Some feel it is never worth the price. The additional space, or amenities or priorities are not that important to them, and they perceive much of what is offered as grandstanding and fawning.

Then there are the others, like us, who fall somewhere in between. For a variety of different reasons, we find it worthwhile to book a suite for some cruises, but not for all.

Celebrity does not deny that there are class distinctions, and even uses the term "class" in naming some of their categories, e.g, Aqua Class, Suite Class.

But all the classes, or categories, are available to anyone who wishes to purchase them. It is not like European aristocracy where you inherit a title and the castle to go with it. :D

Edited by varoo

We booked a Royal Suite on a cruise oct 14. They were just transitioning to the new look & perks so it may be a bit different now.

Over all we found Michaels Club to be the best perk of all! It was quite lovely to get a drink there any time and they had some great champagne. Also nice to have a quite place to go for a cup of tea in the morning or for a drink before fancy dinners. MC also had a lot of unexpected quirks: special invites for a bridge tour, dining with an officer one night, an art talk, etc. I'm not sure if the invites were unannounced/unexpected (and fantastic) perks of a Royal Suite or from MC direct, but they were organized by the MC concierge. There was nothing so special as receiving an invite on your door in the morning or afternoon for something happening the next day.

Another perk of the RS is the new dining place just for suites. We are really looking forward to this! We loved the buffet last cruise and ate in the main dining room just a few times, but the new restaurant looks to be neat! Oh, and in our room at check in we also had a set of coupons with laundry, internet, spa passes, etc that seemed tied into high tiers of the Captain's Club (I'm pretty sure all these amenities are included in the new upgraded RS now too).

We did see some zenith members in MC as well. Mostly it was just suite people. Everyone was very nice! Overall it is very expensive to get a suite - thou I think it is worth every extra penny paid. I like very much the amenities of a wood balcony, excellent service by room ninjas (stewards of awesome) and having everyone know your name after a few days. Our butler was amazing and there were constantly extra perks such as priority boarding.

I've found that being nice, polite & thankful for excellent service makes the cruise more enjoyable for everyone. It is a chunk of moolah to dole out for vacation on a RS. I think if it's in your budget, a RS is worth a go at least once in a lifetime. If we lived in FL, lol and had more than a week vacation a year, then we would totally book inside rooms all the time and cruise on the cheap as it seems like a great way to go if you have ample time & are local. But we live in snowy RI and work hard all the year to have the most fantastic vacation ever for a week.

The RS is just that awesome vacation for it. We commute 3 hours a day in horrible traffic dreaming about the amazing week of luxury next January! I think over all it seemed that there were delightful perks for a RS that just made it exactly like in the commercials. We loved it!

Ditto, and once you have had the best, there is no going back! Keep on cruising!:D

In the case of Cruise ships,

• Money buys a certain cabin category (and the perks); and
  • Loyalty to the cruiseline brings you a certain Status (and the perks)

but CLASS is not a requirement to cruise.:D

I wanted to respond with a quip here but I am sure that it would be misunderstood by for too many:D

I believe Celebrity added the Captain's Club Preview Class because some complained that first time cruisers had no class.....and then there was that embarrassing question from your dinner mates asking about your status in the Captain's Club where the first time cruiser would have to say "I have no class".

Problem solved!

Edited by ghstudio

Ditto, and once you have had the best, there is no going back! Keep on cruising!:D

Sure you can go back. I've sailed in everything from the penthouse to an inside. All depends on who you're sailing with and what the plan is. Also where you're sailing and how port intensive the cruise is.

Linda

Is that because you blew all your money on one cruise and can't afford to cruise again? :D

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Sure you can go back. I've sailed in everything from the penthouse to an inside. All depends on who you're sailing with and what the plan is. Also where you're sailing and how port intensive the cruise is.

Linda

Agree also, I've had suites on ships and hotels with and without Butlers. Just don't need it, not a butler person, no need for me to go back. As long as I'm on a ship with my wife, I'm happy.

Agree also, I've had suites on ships and hotels with and without Butlers. Just don't need it, not a butler person, no need for me to go back. As long as I'm on a ship with my wife, I'm happy.

Now that's a classy guy! :D

Maybe that applies to you, or maybe you were just kidding, but many of us can and do go back and forth very easily and happily. :)

It is the same way that we may ride in a limo one day and ride a bicycle the next; eat at a fine restaurant one evening and at a hamburger or pizza joint the next; and enjoy them all.

Edited by fleckle

Maybe that applies to you, or maybe you were just kidding, but many of us can and do go back and forth very easily and happily. :)

It is the same way that we may ride in a limo one day and ride a bicycle the next; eat at a fine restaurant one evening and at a hamburger or pizza joint the next; and enjoy them all.

Agreed, I think it helps to appreciate things better as well.:D