question about room key and bar purchases

twinkle toes

My family recently got back from a Mexican cruise and are leaving again soon to go to the Caribbean. My daughters are both legal age to drink, but are always forced to carry their drivers licenses with them to the bars and lounges because they are ALWAYS carded. It is very annoying, and they have even been accused of having fake id's. Even with me, their mother, present. I thought that the room key would alert the bartender that they weren't legal age if he swiped it. Anyone else have this problem?

My family recently got back from a Mexican cruise and are leaving again soon to go to the Caribbean. My daughters are both legal age to drink, but are always forced to carry their drivers licenses with them to the bars and lounges because they are ALWAYS carded. It is very annoying, and they have even been accused of having fake id's. Even with me, their mother, present. I thought that the room key would alert the bartender that they weren't legal age if he swiped it. Anyone else have this problem?

Not a problem in my book.

The room key will tell but if they look that young then they may still be asked for ID. A keycard can easily be given to another. :(

They are just doing their job. :)

I am glad they do because when my kids were under age I would not have wanted them to have a chance at drinking when they were not supposed too. Not that they would have, but you just never know. :eek:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Your cruise card does indicate when the passenger is under age. The reason they may still require photo ID for someone who looks underage is that, without photo ID confirmation, there is no way for a bartender to assure that the passenger presenting the card is actually the person to whom the card was issued. For instance, it is not unheard of for an under-aged passenger to "borrow" an adult parent's cruise card in an attempt to be served at one of the ship's bars. So, while it may be an inconvenience for your daughters to carry photo ID with them, it's part of the cruiseline's efforts to avoid serving alcohol to under-aged passengers. Someday they'll thank their lucky stars for their unusually youthful appearance. ;)

I understand what you are saying, but your photo IS linked to your room key. They compare you with your photo when you enter and leave the ship. Do they not have that capability on their register when they swipe your card at the bar?

Just wondering if the rules that apply to establishments that sell liquor on land ask to see ID if looking under age 30 applies to cruise ships as well.

I don't think the bars on a cruise ship would have the capability to see your personal information including your ID photo.

I think that type of information would be for officers, at least I hope so! :eek:

I understand what you are saying, but your photo IS linked to your room key. They compare you with your photo when you enter and leave the ship. Do they not have that capability on their register when they swipe your card at the bar?

When they swipe your card key (in a bar or anywhere else), doesn't a photo of the rightful holder come up on the screen? This would seem to negate the need for supplemental ID.

No, the bar registers don't have access to the photo information. Good idea though! :)

Your photo does not show on bar registers, it only records the transaction. When you exit and enter the ship the machine shows the photo to make sure you are the correct person entering for security purposes

Reassure them that the day will come when they will thank some one for asking for ID to prove their age.

Reassure them that the day will come when they will thank some one for asking for ID to prove their age.

The last time we considered needing ID for age was to confirm eligibility for the senior discount at the local theater. You need to be at least 62 for that. :)

As regards to photos showing at bar/shops/etc. Right now, for various reasons, those photos are only visible to security and senior staff. It's a safety and security measure so that crew (or potentially other pax if they got hold of a device) cannot identify a persons cabin by their photo.

Funny & True above. I'm flattered when someone ask proof I'm over 62. :D

Back to Topic: Those in their 20's and look young almost always have to show an ID at bars at home so it shouldn't be a huge big deal to have to do the same on ships.

LuLu

And most servers are picking up multiple drink orders. Even if a picture was on a register the server would have to remember the picture while moving through various venues. Much more practicle to just ask for ID.

I am not aware of any cruise line that makes a photo available to staff when making any purchases & only security when leaving or returning to the ship. The reason why has already been speculated but it could also be an unnecessary expense & easier to ask a few passengers for ID.

Thankfully Princess checks IDs because on a RCI cruise with family members a mature looking 16 year old (although she didn't appear to be over 21) was served alcohol without requesting ID & she got very drunk and hungover.

Thankfully Princess checks IDs because on a RCI cruise with family members a mature looking 16 year old (although she didn't appear to be over 21) was served alcohol without requesting ID & she got very drunk and hungover.

The cruise cards indicate the person's age* without swiping, but without a picture ID, as others have said, there is no way to tell if the person with the card is its owner.

* On the bottom right there is an A for those 21 and older

For those 18-20 there is an asterisk on the bottom right

For those under 18 there is neither.

Edited by caribill

The cruise cards indicate the person's age* without swiping, but without a picture ID, as others have said, there is no way to tell if the person with the card is its owner.

Thanks & they still need to check a photo ID to confirm their identity.

Carbill,

Thanks for that interesting information! I had originally guessed that it was for back to back or something like that... "A" for first voyage, and "B" for second leg, etc..

I was going to check that theory when I did my first back to back, but..... I was having such a great time cruising that I totally forgot to check! Now another one of life's great mysteries has been solved!

Happy Cruising! :D

Mark