Hair Appliance Adapter for Europe

logan25

Talk to me about outlet adapters for electrical hair appliances. I will be staying in Barcelona for two days. I want/need to use a curling iron manufactured for USA outlets. (Hubby asked if I really needed to curl my hair while there. Yes, if you want me to look good!)

Look at the markings on the curling iron -- if it says 110-240 volts then you need just an adapter --

http://www.rei.com/product/775157/rei-adapter-plug-e106-europe-and-asia

Which you can find lots of places not only REI (just grabbed one off the 'Net).

If it says only 110v (or 110-120 something like that) -- then you need a CONVERTER, a much heavier and more expensive thing, although I think they are available smaller than this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Converter-From-220-240/dp/B001ES8YY6

Another option would be to get a new "travel" curler like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Conair-1-Inch-Ceramic-Curling/dp/B002WQ93F8/

You would still need the plug ADAPTER.

I read on the comments for the latter product, that many if not most curling irons are dual voltage... good luck!

If your curling iron is newer it's probably duel voltage, it will have a little dial type button on it or switch to turn it to 240 v, Don't forget to do this, or you will fry your hair off. :) then you just plug it into an adaptor, they're quite cheap, you can pick them up at a Target.

DD took her flat iron with her when she lived in France. It was not duel voltage, so she used a converter (she's quite experienced with work travel so she knew what she was doing) She ended up frying off a piece of her hair :eek:

She had to buy a new one there, it seems like some flat irons & curling irons are such high wattage, even a convertor won't help, so I would not recommend taking one that is not duel voltage.

If you think you might go to Europe more than just one time, you might consider buying one in a department store in Barcelona your first day there. That's what my wife did. We also got a European-plugged hair dryer.

I studied in Belgium for a year in college and still use the blow dryer and curling iron I bought that year (20 some years ago:o) I almost bought a new curling iron when I was in Germany in December but decided the old one is still working fine enough.....(I spent plenty of time in DM in Germany and made a special trip to Monoprix in Strasbourg because I love those stores!)

The past 3 curling irons I've bought in the US have NOT been dual voltage (most recent purchase was in the last 3 months), but since I have a european 220v I've not worried about finding a dual voltage option. If either of my current irons die, I'd probably look for one now....

Edited by Hoyaheel

DD has lived in Rome for the past several years. All but one of her hair appliances (dryers, curling, flat) is dual voltage. She has an odd one that does spirals that is 110 only.

The voltage will be marked on the body or plug.

FWIW she need plug adapters for a few of her European electrical things -- European to European if you will.

She had to buy a new one there, it seems like some flat irons & curling irons are such high wattage, even a convertor won't help, so I would not recommend taking one that is not duel voltage.

Even with dual voltage, I have blown out a brand new hairdryer on the first use, as the wattage was too high for the old building in which I have been staying. Probably not a problem in a modern hotel, but we tend to rent apartments when traveling and my dryer rarely works. Giving up and purchasing one in Europe on my next trip.

I got this kit on Amazon. I just take the converter and single adapter to where I'm going. Recently went to Australia and it was very convenient. Most electronics are dual voltage, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I will be taking it to Europe next year.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Voltage-Converter-Adapter-50-1600/dp/B001R57TD8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425590085&sr=8-5&keywords=Converter+adapter+kit

I got this kit on Amazon. I just take the converter and single adapter to where I'm going. Recently went to Australia and it was very convenient. Most electronics are dual voltage, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I will be taking it to Europe next year.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Voltage-Converter-Adapter-50-1600/dp/B001R57TD8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425590085&sr=8-5&keywords=Converter+adapter+kit

It looks pretty heavy though, and if you have a hair dryer that is more than 1600 watts, this likely would fry.

It looks pretty heavy though, and if you have a hair dryer that is more than 1600 watts, this likely would fry.

The converter does have some weight to it, but most converters do. It won't fit everyone's needs. I don't usually need the converter, since most of my electronics are good to go.

Luckily, now that I cut my hair into a pixie, don't really need a hair dryer anymore..LOL

Even with dual voltage, I have blown out a brand new hairdryer on the first use, as the wattage was too high for the old building in which I have been staying. Probably not a problem in a modern hotel, but we tend to rent apartments when traveling and my dryer rarely works. Giving up and purchasing one in Europe on my next trip.

That's probably what happened to her, she was staying in an older apartment complex. Interestingly, hair appliances seem to cost quite a bit more there than here, I think she paid about 60 Euro for that new flat iron, while you could pick up one here at a target for less than $30 bucks.