Current on board dining reservations policy

pinotlover

, the reservationists was asking the names of all the people, from the person having booked the Privee, saying it would count as one of their specialty reservations. Later on, another person told me that they hadn't lost a specialty reservation because of their Privee evening.

Most of us already know this, but in order to be clear to newer readers:

Because one pays an additional fee to rent Privée, dining there does not count towards the number of Guaranteed Specialty Restaurant Reservations.

However, if I book a table at any of the Specialties and then invite you to join my table, that would count as being one of your guaranteed reservations.

We generally are on the Riviera and never have a problem or if we do we eat at the Terrace. I am strongly opposed to eating in the MDR. Our first Oceania cruise years ago was the Regatta and we could not get additional nights (Vista Suite). However, we just booked Alaska in May 2016. I am hoping the cruise is not full and I may get extra specialty reservations. However, if I am not able, has the Regatta been changed so there is the equivalent of The Terrace? We do not like to eat in our suite...unless we are very tired. I will be very uncomfortable if there is not another option. Your wisdom will be appreciated.

Not S&J nor Mura but it is my understanding that the refurbished R ships now have a smaller version of the O ships' Terrace Cafe with a grill station (with lobster tails, shrimp, etc)

I would imagine that it is a smaller version with a more limited selection due to the difference in size.

I didn't ask you because I didn't think you went on the R ships. I am glad you had the answer as that will be where I will be eating once I run out of my allotment! LOL. I can live with those lobsters! Thanks

Carol,

Likewise chiming in here now that I saw your question. We haven't been on Regatta recently but my understanding is that the last dry docks of the "R" ships included an upgrade of Terrace Cafe. Obviously it's a much smaller space than is available on Marina or Riviera.

I'm somewhat surprised that in a VS you couldn't get extra reservations on Regatta ... but as I keep on saying it does depend on how many people want those extra sittings. Some cruises it's easy ... others it is not.

On a May Alaska cruise my guess would be that you'd have better luck. We haven't been to Alaska on Oceania but we WERE booked in August 2011 -- they were very overbooked and convinced us to switch to a Marina Med cruise a few months later. It does seem to me that Oceania has consistently overbooked the Alaska cruises, at least those that are at the height of the summer time.

I just spoke with someone who is on our upcoming Lima-NYC cruise. He had been booked on a summer Alaska cruise (2014) and they were begging him to switch to another cruise. They finally asked him "what would it take?" So he really pushed the envelope! Got a longer cruise, more OBC, an upgrade to a PH, and even more, I think. Plus a move to Marina.

For the record, we usually don't seek extra specialty restaurant reservations as I think I've said fairly often ... but I also don't recall NOT being able to get them when we wanted. And on the "R" ships we've generally been in a PH with 3 exceptions: one OS, one VS and one A1. I'm not sure what that is worth ... because different cruises are different.

Mura

That isn't the most desirable time. The last time we went on July 15 and it was 85 degrees! LOL. This time it will rain, I am sure. We did most of the mushing and private helicopters to glaciers and rafting alone down through an Eagle preserve...this time I just want to go to the bear viewing station mostly. Also I am a little older and my 3 kids, 8 grands and 4 great grands are too much and I would prefer no kids at this time! LOL.

I am happy if I can have the grill at The Terrace. Sometimes they have sashimi which is enough for me for dinner, and when they have turkey it is the best. I can do that, but definitely can NOT handle the MDR. I will be one unhappy camper if this option is not available (Terrace). We are in the OS, but we don't want to eat alone in the suite. We do not like 2 hour drawn out meals and I can not eat pre-prepared food with salt, so the Terrace will be my lifesaver.

Thanks to you and Paul for all the advice. I feel better now. I will try for a couple of extra specialty reservations, and since I only eat the French Onion Soup and a salad for the most part, we are in and out in a flash.

and since I only eat the French Onion Soup and a salad for the most part, we are in and out in a flash

Do you know how much salt there is in French Onion Soup? :eek:

Your Cardiologist just overdosed on digitalis :p

We do not like 2 hour drawn out meals and I can not eat pre-prepared food with salt, so the Terrace will be my lifesaver.

You can ask for sodium free or low sodium food

You might have to decide a day or 2 in advance what you want to eat but a small price to pay to be able to eat something yummy

YMMV

Not S&J nor Mura but it is my understanding that the refurbished R ships now have a smaller version of the O ships' Terrace Cafe with a grill station (with lobster tails, shrimp, etc)

I would imagine that it is a smaller version with a more limited selection due to the difference in size.

They do

Lamb chops too

Selection really not much different from larger ships. On larger ships there are more stations of same item

But that is one of my guilty pleasures. I make myself happy about once a cruise and then take Claratin or Benedryl! Love that onion soup. Other than that, it is a salad and a baked potato. They have lovely prime rib but I just can't eat that much.

Just happy there is a "Terrace".

I didn't ask you because I didn't think you went on the R ships. I am glad you had the answer as that will be where I will be eating once I run out of my allotment! LOL. I can live with those lobsters! Thanks

Caroldoll, I will be on Regatta this May for Alaska and will give you the whole scoop. We also do not eat in the MD and prefer al fresco dining in Terrace ( maybe not in Alaska ;-) especially after a long touring day.

This comment is probably quite irrelevant, but even in the days before the Marina and Riviera version of Terrace, we were quite happy with dinner there on the "R" ships. There was always a large selection of entrees, salads, appetizers, etc. It's just that the bigger ships have a much larger selection along with the grill preparing to order. I'm sure Oceania noticed how popular this was and then decided to do what they could to give "R" passengers a similar choice.

I am one who has never understood the aversion to the MDR because we happen to like it very much, but I know it is out there. (No, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on this subject!)

Mura

This comment is probably quite irrelevant, but even in the days before the Marina and Riviera version of Terrace, we were quite happy with dinner there on the "R" ships. There was always a large selection of entrees, salads, appetizers, etc. It's just that the bigger ships have a much larger selection along with the grill preparing to order. I'm sure Oceania noticed how popular this was and then decided to do what they could to give "R" passengers a similar choice.

I am one who has never understood the aversion to the MDR because we happen to like it very much, but I know it is out there. (No, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on this subject!)

Mura

Mura, Although we have never dined in MD (not just on O, but avoid it on almost all cruises) due to the fact our next O cruise is in Alaska, we may just have to give it a try due to the fact that the weather may be a bit colder than our O Med cruises ;-)...if we do, I will let you know our experience. We also do not go to shows but love to play tennis and golf on Riviera on a sea day and use the gym. Oh...and we drink wine too :)

Mura

Me either

We usually avoid the Terrace

I hate having look for a table, then not eat together with DH ..while one is up getting food the other is eating

I like the GDR & being served

We share a table with other people (except breakfast) ....we have met some very nice people that way

Yes you cannot just rush in snorkel your food & rush off

If I wanted that type of dining I could save $$ & book a mass market ship

As they say to each his own ;)

JMO

I'm with Mura. We long ago tired of the self-service, pushing and shoving and difficulty in finding a table at the Terrace, and the never-changing menus in the specialty restaurants. We love the MDR, the ambiance, the elegance, being served, and the different menus every night. Cooking is per service and things like salt can be managed, although we have never noted overly salted food.

But that's just me, and like Mura, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, especially because it might make it more difficult for me to get a desirable table if everyone wanted to dine there (same for the shows -- thanks for giving up your seat).

Me either

We usually avoid the Terrace

I hate having look for a table, then not eat together with DH ..while one is up getting food the other is eating

I like the GDR & being served

We share a table with other people (except breakfast) ....we have met some very nice people that way

Yes you cannot just rush in snorkel your food & rush off

If I wanted that type of dining I could save $$ & book a mass market ship

As they say to each his own ;)

JMO

This is why we are all different. I must say however, that when dining in the Terrace, (preferably al fresco) there is no need to rush. We order a bottle of wine, sip our 1st glass slowly, discuss our days experiences etc. We then both can get up together, make our food choices and sit back an relax. We do not share tables ever (a privacy thing with us which we enjoy immensely). After dinner, we stroll the ship, take in the view and head to our cabin early and ready for the next days adventures. Happy to provide you with our table in MD and seats for the show.

We're with you, Mura!

In fact, having come from Holland America where we made dozens of lifelong friends via their more traditional (at the time) two tiered dining system, we were actually very leery of anytime dining in the Grand Dining Room, at first.

In actual practice, however, the advent of Cruise Critic dovetailed beautifully with our change in table habits, and we now make social contacts Online, and then meet new "friends" on the ship.

It is so much less stressful to dine with those friends if we are not worrying that our invitation might be encroaching on their Specialty plans, and the ever changing menu in the Grand Dining Room is also a great draw for us on longer cruises.

Although we do enjoy the sense of occasion that occasionally dining in the Specialties can bring, we long ago gave up on the "as many times as we can get in" philosophy. We seldom even use our allotted number of reservations...

We enjoy our companionship together. Because we travel so much, when we do come home we have so many friends that it is a complete frenzy before we leave again (add in the kids and grands too). When we finally get away, we are glad to be with one another. We do not "wolf it down" but we don't drag it out. We both constantly watch our weight and because of this we just don't eat much. The Terrace is enclosed Portofinoitaly! You will still be able to be there, even in Alaska and now that I know they have a grill, it is all good. I think it is great that we all have different habits...then everyone gets a chance at every experience.

We then both can get up together, make our food choices and sit back an relax.

Lucky you

Guess you have never had your table taken while you both have been up getting food

Just not worth it to us so thanks for your spot in the GDR :D

Edited by LHT28

We enjoy our companionship together. Because we travel so much, when we do come home we have so many friends that it is a complete frenzy before we leave again (add in the kids and grands too). When we finally get away, we are glad to be with one another. We do not "wolf it down" but we don't drag it out. We both constantly watch our weight and because of this we just don't eat much. The Terrace is enclosed Portofinoitaly! You will still be able to be there, even in Alaska and now that I know they have a grill, it is all good. I think it is great that we all have different habits...then everyone gets a chance at every experience.

Yes, we are similar. We do know the Terrace is enclosed and when weather permits, we dine al fresco, if not it is inside. We also are food conscious and prefer the grilled items available, salad selection and choosing our own portions.

No dessert either, unless it is that huge cannoli fresh from the bakery in Sicily. There is always an exception. :)

Most often our table has been "taken" by the waiter beloevimg we have left, rather than just getting another course. Several times we have returned to find our food and drinks gone and the table reset, often with new folks in occupation. No thanks, it doesn't happen often, but it's always a concern. When we do eat (I can't call it dining) in the Terrace, we've taken to do it in shifts, which is no fun.

There are never enough tables, and with so many folks looking for a spot, we would never consider sitting back and relaxing. The GDR is the place for that.

Lucky you

Guess you have never had your table taken while you both have been up getting food

Just not worth it to us so thanks for your spot in the GDR :D

Actually, we had our table taken during lunch on AZ once, long ago. The lesson learned was to always bring a small purse, pashmina, etc. It clearly shows the table is occupied. We also tend to dine early so may miss some of the table hogs because it has never happened to us on O. Very civil.

Actually, we had our table taken during lunch on AZ once, long ago. The lesson learned was to always bring a small purse, pashmina, etc. It clearly shows the table is occupied. We also tend to dine early so may miss some of the table hogs because it has never happened to us on O. Very civil.

On O you or you waiter put uour napkin on the back of the chairs. No problems ever.