Which ships (or Concierge's) allow children in Diamond Lounge

In our experience it's depended on the concierge, but also I think the demo of the sailing and the time of the evening. Early December sailing, we didn't even try. Also, weekend cruise on enchantment had far fewer diamonds than the four day. 5 to 6:00, we don't like it there ourselves because of the crowds.

I sailed on Monarch almost 3 yrs ago with my granddaughter. And we would go to the D+ lounge that was part of the VL since there was no CL and she would get a Shirley Temple and I would get wine and we would sit and look out at the water for a short time before dinner. No problems. She was 10 yr old and very well behaved. No one said a thing. Most would come up to her and ask how she was enjoying her cruise. Every night the same waiter saw her coming and brought her her drink. She thought that was great that he remembered her. In a few years my other granddaughter will be 10 yrs old and looking forward to her first cruise and I plan the same with her. If there is not enought room in the lounge. Then we would get our drinks and go somewhere else. Now that they have vouchers, if someone objected her being in the lounge then I'd go to the bar to get drinks and find another place to sit.

Edited by tigger-ttfn

A D+ friend was told that due to the large amount of Diamond members being under the age of 21.That more and more Diamond lounges will be open for all Diamond members no matter the age during the cocktail hours. It seems a lot of Diamond members want to be able to spend this time with their families.One of the reason they start the 3 drink coupons was to free up the DL from crowds and give everyone the choice of where they have their drinks.

Edited by Jasp 0401

All this makes me laugh. Good entertainment.

If you paid for it and are entitled to it and abiding by the rules than go for it.

What we need is a good old food fight in these areas. May help the uptight to relax.

If you need total quite time on a family orientated ship, it’s easy. look over the side it’s extremely peaceful.

*Sigh* Even inconsistent in writing within their own website, it would appear... :o

the page I found was the top hit on a search for royal Caribbean diamond lounge. I doubt many others go digging for a contradictory answer within the same site. I don't.

All I can say is that when I was a child I would not have wanted to hang out and watch adults drink in the Diamond Lounge and would certainly not think that it was "fun family time"!

I can certainly understand that. Not all kids want to be there. Not all kids should be there.

In my case it is a child too young for the kids club, but we still enjoy great views and complimentary cocktails. So for us the choice is to go with our child or not go at all. We've got enough brains to know to leave if Jr. is being loud, cranky, disturbing to others. Some younger parents today do still pay attention and think about others too.

I too see no difference between CL and DL. Nearly identical environments. If one is suitable for children so is the other. I may feel differently if there are loud bratty kids run amok. I would expect the parent or ultimately staff to handle it. I kind of expect that everywhere on the ship. Then again I can expect a lot of things that just won't happen.

All this makes me laugh. Good entertainment.

If you paid for it and are entitled to it and abiding by the rules than go for it.

What we need is a good old food fight in these areas. May help the uptight to relax.

If you need total quite time on a family orientated ship, it’s easy. look over the side it’s extremely peaceful.

You've got a point too. Based on the info on the site I found I feel we are entitled to the lounge. Based on information someone else found on the site we, as a family, are not entitled. Both can't be correct. It does get frustrating to not rely on the first answer that comes up on the company site.

I don't hold a grudge against anyone that wants

A: suck down all the drinks they can. A-OK by me.

B: have a quiet and refined atmosphere to enjoy cocktails and conversation.

There is nothing wrong with those things happening. Strikes me as quite reasonable. I don't believe on infringing on others or otherwise reducing their benefits. But I do believe in maximizing benefits available to me (my family). I'm really not so wrapped up in what others are doing, I just try to let them be.

the page I found was the top hit on a search for royal Caribbean diamond lounge. I doubt many others go digging for a contradictory answer within the same site. I don't.

Hmm... Just to be clear, my displeasure was directed entirely at the obvious contradictions within RCI'S website, not at all with you. I wouldn't expect you (or anyone else) to "go digging" for contradictory answers. But I doubt that's what the person who posted that information did either - they found the (contradictory to what you found) information in a quite logical location about C&A tier benefits, and just like you - quit looking at that point.

Hmm... Just to be clear, my displeasure was directed entirely at the obvious contradictions within RCI'S website, not at all with you. I wouldn't expect you (or anyone else) to "go digging" for contradictory answers. But I doubt that's what the person who posted that information did either - they found the (contradictory to what you found) information in a quite logical location about C&A tier benefits, and just like you - quit looking at that point.

100% agreed. I understood your prior message.

Yet another reason why I buy the unlimited drinks package - if I'm at a bar and someone has annoying kids I'll just leave and go to another bar! :)

we do the same also better choice of drinks and wine, but I do like some of the snacks given in DL and CL

Not sure how those comments relate to use of the Diamond Lounge though. :confused:

I've been Diamond for a while and I don't use the lounge any more. Too many poorly-behaved children AND adults in my humble opinion. If I wanted to watch a lot of boorish behavior I'd book myself on Carnival more often.

I've been Diamond for a while and I don't use the lounge any more. Too many poorly-behaved children AND adults in my humble opinion. If I wanted to watch a lot of boorish behavior I'd book myself on Carnival more often.

I've never seen unruly behavior in a DL before, but I haven't been Diamond all that long. As I said, in my case, due to my childs age it is a matter of either going with the child, or not going at all. And I don't think that's a reasonable solution as children are welcomed in the CL and, functionally speaking, it is exactly the same as the DL.

So as it stands now anyone searching for policies can easily and quickly find two conflicting policies on the RCI site, with no clarification that one is more "correct" than another, and as evidence by posters here some ships allow children, others do not.

It is disappointing that the policy isn't clarified by the company and instead seems to be left to the discretion of concierges and can change from ship to ship, week to week, etc. I generally do research and like to know what to expect. The way this is handled is not objective enough in my opinion.

So as it stands now anyone searching for policies can easily and quickly find two conflicting policies on the RCI site, with no clarification that one is more "correct" than another, and as evidence by posters here some ships allow children, others do not.

It is disappointing that the policy isn't clarified by the company and instead seems to be left to the discretion of concierges and can change from ship to ship, week to week, etc. I generally do research and like to know what to expect. The way this is handled is not objective enough in my opinion.

Welcome to Royal Caribbean! Where rules are suggestions and suggestions are ignored.

I've never seen unruly behavior in a DL before, but I haven't been Diamond all that long. As I said, in my case, due to my childs age it is a matter of either going with the child, or not going at all. And I don't think that's a reasonable solution as children are welcomed in the CL and, functionally speaking, it is exactly the same as the DL.

Agree completely that its disappointing, highly subjective and therefore impossible to predict ship by ship and even week by week.

I have experienced what I considered to be highly unruly behavior by children, both in the DL and other areas. But, that's not the only issue at hand either. As RCI has tried harder and harder to cater to families, the "adults only" or even "adult oriented" venues have steadily dwindled, almost to the point of disappearing. Its rather ironic that its easier to find a place for a romantic adults only dinner on Disney than on RCI these days. Everyone wants to bring their young kids to the lounges, to the specialty dining restaurants (even late into the evenings), to the bars and lounges - and even seat them AT the bar, and to the DL/CL. I certainly understand your point of view, either you bring your child, pay for babysitting, or don't go. However, I remain unapologetic about wishing RCI would understand a bit more about the need for there to be SOME venues and times which are for adults. And again, its not just that some of them are unruly with parents who don't care. Even with well-behaved ones, I might like to repeat a joke or two, or talk about subjects which are not for tender young ears while having my evening cocktail hour. I can't do that (or at least I'm respectful enough of others that I won't) when there are young children present.

Its just my opinion and no one in RCI management is consulting me, but I think cocktail hour (only) at the DL/CL should be adults only, as well as Chef's Table, and possibly the specialty restaurants AFTER 8PM. Additionally, I don't think children should be allowed to be seated AT THE BAR at any bar at any hour. That still leaves them 95% of the ship 95% of the time - including the kids only venues where adults are forbidden. I understand you'll disagree with me on this, and I accept that.

Its just my opinion and no one in RCI management is consulting me, but I think cocktail hour (only) at the DL/CL should be adults only, as well as Chef's Table, and possibly the specialty restaurants AFTER 8PM. Additionally, I don't think children should be allowed to be seated AT THE BAR at any bar at any hour. That still leaves them 95% of the ship 95% of the time - including the kids only venues where adults are forbidden. I understand you'll disagree with me on this, and I accept that.

I actually think you and I are inching towards agreeing on 95% of things 95% of the time! There is nothing wrong with your opinions. They are reasonable. I am not 100% in agreement with the DL/CL statement, but otherwise what you ask for isn't out of line at all.

Children...been there done that.:cool: Cruising is my reward for having successfully raised my brood, and I might add, they and my Grandchildren have impeccable old school manners.

Have never seen anyone below 18 in DL on all our cruises. If I had young children or my Grandchildren with me, I have not and would not permit them in the CL or DL with me out of respect for people like me, who appreciate a quiet adult only area for cocktails and these 2 areas WERE the only place to get it. I guess in future, there will be no place to get it. After all, children have the entire ship at their disposal, so why can't there be a couple of small areas they cannot intrude, no matter their manners.

Entitlement can swing both ways.:(

Completely understand your desire for adult only space. Unfortunately there are competing needs at work here as well. We are D about to become D+ who cruise in suites with family members, also in a suite, to enjoy family time. This includes pre-dinner time in the CL with elementary age children. They are off to Kids Club after dinner. Although we have occasionally received "the look", we have also received compliments on their behavior and attire. Bottom line is that suite occupants have paid for their access to the CL. That said, I do support the idea of some adult only space as long as it does not deprive others of benefits they have paid for. As I said before, there are competing needs.

Since you paid for CL then let suites have it, but leave the DL to adults only. Hey, I had the DL concierge make my MIL leave one morning when we just came in to get coffee from the machine. Didn't think I was stepping on anyone's toes at 8 in the morning, but she would not permit it. But kids are fine???? At cocktail hour????

Since you paid for CL then let suites have it, but leave the DL to adults only. Hey, I had the DL concierge make my MIL leave one morning when we just came in to get coffee from the machine. Didn't think I was stepping on anyone's toes at 8 in the morning, but she would not permit it. But kids are fine???? At cocktail hour????

In your case with your MIL being asked to leave, was she a Diamond member? If yes she was entitled to be there. If not, she wasn't entitled to be there.

As for adults only Royal has conflicting information so it is unclear. In fact they have conflicting information for the CL too which is functionally no different

I don't recall ever seeing children in the Diamond Lounge either and understood that they aren't allowed. We have never tried to get our non Diamond friends and family into the Diamond Lounge. I also believe RCI has the right to determine and define loyalty benefits such as lounge access and may age-restrict access if it chooses. Suite benefits are another ballgame and we can differ in opinion here as RCI has affirmed many times that children in suites have CL access with their parents. RCI could do a better job clarifying policies so that we may make our cruising choices and hold expectations based on reliable information.

Let's assume dear MIL is not D or D+, 8am, 4pm 8pm or even 1am, she for the entitled, has not earn't the right to have access to the DL.

Wouldn't bother me, as I would have no clue what her status was, but some DL,s do ask to see cards, and some are key entry.

Of course you can tailgate;)

If DL allows a D or D+ minor in at cocktail hour, that is their right:rolleyes:

So if rules are rules and let's say no minors in DL at cocktail hour.

You are willing to try and sneak one in when you think no one will catch you, but opposed to ones that actually have the status to be there

Happy Days, hopefully I didn't just contradict myself:p