50th anniversay dinner

boca7

just off the Regal, this is our 2nd cruise on this ship, in Jan. everything was great, the food was the best we had out if 25 cruises. This past week was like being on a different ship. Everything was the same but the food & availability to getting a table on any anytime dining. Unless you would sit at a table of 8 the wait was long. The formal anniversary dinner was the worst I`ve had on any cruise. The chef feeling creative made a impressive menu with ossobouco but all you got was 3 cold ravioli`s with a filling that was unedible due being cold. The waiter told us he had no control as the dish was hot. This was the beginning as future portions thru the week came out the same. What a shame we love Princess, the rest of the cruise was great.

just off the Regal, this is our 2nd cruise on this ship, in Jan. everything was great, the food was the best we had out if 25 cruises. This past week was like being on a different ship. Everything was the same but the food & availability to getting a table on any anytime dining. Unless you would sit at a table of 8 the wait was long. The formal anniversary dinner was the worst I`ve had on any cruise. The chef feeling creative made a impressive menu with ossobouco but all you got was 3 cold ravioli`s with a filling that was unedible due being cold. The waiter told us he had no control as the dish was hot. This was the beginning as future portions thru the week came out the same. What a shame we love Princess, the rest of the cruise was great.

We just got off of the Regal on 2/22/15. Must agree with you. The worst meal was the 50th dinner. Many people who we spoke to agreed that it was very poor!!!! No real selection. Who ever sold this menu to Princess should go back to another cruise line.

We liked the 50th anniversary dinner, and have had it several times now. I don't care for the pate in the starter, but just got the mushroom soup. The salad with raspberry vinaigrette was great. And the beef entree was always tender and delicious. The sorbet is a bit tart, but the heart shaped Norman Love chocolate dessert was wonderful.

There are the always available items to choose from, too.

There were four of us on the Crown last month and we all thoroughly enjoyed the 50th Anniversary dinner. I ordered the risotto cakes appetizer from the left side of the menu. There were three small cakes perfectly done. After having a taste everyone else at the table asked for an order. My osso bucco agnolotti were also very good and were served at the proper temperature. The sorbet was tasty and the meat was pretty good. The Norman Love dessert was a disappointment for me but fortunately I had also ordered the Grand Marnier soufflé from the left side of the menu so all was good :)

What a shame we love Princess, the rest of the cruise was great.

I agree about the 50th anniversary dinner.

I mentioned it on the survey, and said I would avoid princess

until 2016, to be sure and miss it.

On the other hand, I had excellent waiters and service.

On one lunch menu, there was fried seafood -- the waiter

told me when I was ready, he would run to the kitchen

and get it, because it is much better if it does not sit.

Same in the morning -- I like to have fruit and a bagel in

the dining room. The junior would wait to get the bagel

for me, so it would be as hot as possible.

But, no point in heating up the 50th anniversary menu...

I ordered the risotto cakes appetizer from the left side of the menu.

Yes, those little cakes were delicious, but they don't promote them as part of the "official" 50th menu (which is a shame.) I have had that menu three times now, and I am in the "leave it" camp. This has become "always available" salmon night for me, something I really do like. I know it's a small sample size, but I have shared this meal with 12 different people now, and none have thought it was anything outstanding. Fortunately, there are plenty of choices on the left side of the menu, the "always available."

Is the 50th Anniversary Dinner served on a Formal Night? Don't they typically "up their game" for Formal Night dinners? If so, this could be disappointing.

No, it's not. Just Chocolate Journeys desserts.

For the unimportant record, I quite liked the special menu, including the agnolotti, the turbot, and the chocolate dessert. Food is a matter of taste, so though dishes might be objectively bad (gristly meat, for instance), many "it was no good"s should be "I didn't care for it"s. And yes, sometimes food arrives at less than optimum temperature, a function of getting thousands of dishes to hundreds of tables. I would either send it back or suck it up.

I ordered the risotto cakes appetizer from the left side of the menu. There were three small cakes perfectly done. After having a taste everyone else at the table asked for an order. :)

Thanks so much for your suggestion! We probably wouldn't have thought to do order them. :)

LuLu

We're going to Alaska on The Ruby in August. If something on the special menu doesn't taste good, we will send it back and ask for something else. For my wife and I, eating in the MDR is an adventure, all about trying new things. We will be trying the risotto cakes mentioned by IECalCruiser, above.

Items obviously vary from ship to ship. I had the risotto cakes on the Caribbean Princess and they were like eating sticky globs of wallpaper paste. Two bites and I was done. But, oddly enough, we found most of the food excellent on the Caribbean Princess, better than on the Grand Princess or the Pacific Princess.

The Caribbean Princess also had the best desserts (pastry chef stuff). The best baked goods were on the Grand Princess though.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Posts have been saying it is the first formal evening.

In that case, my memory is out of whack. Wouldn't be the first time, though.

On a 3-day cruise it was on the "dress to impress" evening which is a getaway cruise's version of formal night.