Will cruise leaving Sydney 18th March still go to the pacific islands?

We're on our first cruise going to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji leaving Sydney on 18th of March (next Wed). Can anyone predict for me if our cruise will still go to these islands or will these current cyclones mean we'll be diverted elsewhere? How long does it take for the water to calm down after a cyclone??

Carnival have said that they'll only report changes to the itinerary on the day of departure....

At the moment the cyclone is due to hit Vanuatu area on Friday, so I would think it could/would be out of your way by the time you leave, but depending on how much damage is done Carnival might change the itinerary around.

At the moment its a waiting game to see what the cyclone does.

Thanks. Yes, I hope you are right that the cyclones are gone by then. Also hope there is not too much damage on these tiny islands, for the sake of the islanders :(

Thanks. Yes, I hope you are right that the cyclones are gone by then. Also hope there is not too much damage on these tiny islands, for the sake of the islanders :(

And remember they may well need your $$ even more if they have a bit of damage.

http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/weather-video-cyclone-pam-forms

If you watch the video, you'll see that Cyclone Pam is tracking south towards NZ, between the islands, so hopefully the islands will avoid damage.

As others have said, the cyclone should have passed by the time your ship would be scheduled to be in the region. If not, the captain would change the route accordingly.

The cyclone already passing will not necessarily guarantee you'll end up stopping there. We missed out on Mystery Island because the pontoon the tenders had to dock at was too damaged by a recent cyclone, so we ended up with an extra sea day.

Edited by TeamH

Latest BOM predictions on Nathan has it turning back on itself and heading over to where Pam came from. You can just see the edge of Pam on the forecast chart. :eek:

Think I might pack some warmer layers in case my cruise heads to Tassie instead. :(

OzKiwiJJ - yes, we leave on the 18th…

It seems that Melbourne and Tasmania might be a possibility. I assume a change due to weather means you don't get the chance to cancel and rebook another time, since the cruise isn't going where you wanted it to??

Mundts - It wouldn't hurt to ask can you cancel and rebook if it is known in advance that your cruise is not going where you originally booked. This would be different to a cruise rerouting, because of weather conditions, once you are on the cruise.

OzKiwiJJ - yes, we leave on the 18th…

It seems that Melbourne and Tasmania might be a possibility. I assume a change due to weather means you don't get the chance to cancel and rebook another time, since the cruise isn't going where you wanted it to??

I heard a rumour that those on the current Rhapsody sailing were given the option of cancelling and taking a future cruise credit.

So, do you mean that we wait until we get an updated itinerary and if it's going to Tasmania or Melbourne we could opt to go on another cruise instead? I phoned carnival and they said that we could be notified 72 hours before hand if a change has been made… Would really rather go on another cruise to the destination that we planned than go on this one to Aussie locations.

Has anyone successfully changed cruises because of cyclones - is this possible??

I heard a rumour that those on the current Rhapsody sailing were given the option of cancelling and taking a future cruise credit.

According to the guy complaining on FB, they were offered exactly this, on the day of embarkation. That was not acceptable to him - he wanted a full refund plus additonal costs, not a future cruise credit, citing that he had airfares + accomm expenses & also his holiday time. He thus chose to take the cruise, and then complained when the 1st port was Newcastle :D Last report he was 'taking it further'!

So, do you mean that we wait until we get an updated itinerary and if it's going to Tasmania or Melbourne we could opt to go on another cruise instead? I phoned carnival and they said that we could be notified 72 hours before hand if a change has been made… Would really rather go on another cruise to the destination that we planned than go on this one to Aussie locations.

Has anyone successfully changed cruises because of cyclones - is this possible??

I have heard of it happening, but the decision to change itineraries is usually left as late as possible.

Looks almost certain that Vanuatu's South East Islands, Tanna, Aneityum, Mystery Island are going to cop the brunt of TC Pam.

I hope they are all safe. We have some friends living in Vanuatu.

According to the guy complaining on FB, they were offered exactly this, on the day of embarkation. That was not acceptable to him - he wanted a full refund plus additonal costs, not a future cruise credit, citing that he had airfares + accomm expenses & also his holiday time. He thus chose to take the cruise, and then complained when the 1st port was Newcastle :D Last report he was 'taking it further'!

Yes, that was the guy I was thinking of. :D

I can understand him wanting some extra compensation as I do know some people have to plan well in advance for their holidays to fit in with work commitments, and flights and hotels aren't cheap.

And in some case a future cruise credit may not be wirth anything realistically. I booked our upcoming cruise as a last minute guarantee cabin. If the cruise was cancelled or something, and a future cruise credit given, we probably would not be able to secure a future cruise at that price and would end up having to pay substantially more. Plus there aren't many RCI cruises out of Sydney over the next few months.

However I can't see us wanting to bail out of a cruise just because the destinations change, although I reserve the right to grumble a little if I end up in colder climes instead of the warm South Pacific. ;)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ